E6 Processing

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Tim Myers
Forum Hero

E6 Processing

Post by Tim Myers » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello all, and greetings from the darkest depths of The Wirral Peninsula.

I'm wondering where people get their E6 processed?

I used to use a lab in Birkenhead until they upped their prices to £4 a sheet, and since then have used Peak. However I'm never really happy sending through the post, and getting to the Post Office to post via Special Delivery proves difficult from time to time.

So, do you use local labs, and if so, any recommendations in the Wirral / Liverpool area, do you process yourself, or do you use a postal service?

Tim.

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim,

I normally get all my stuff processed at Pro2Col in Manchester. Admittedly, it is quite handy for myself, as it is a lunchtime drive away from where I work, but they are quite good, haven't lost a neg of mine in over 4 years and the prices are reasonable (not cheap, though). I think its 2 + VAT or so.
They do B&W 2x a week, if I can't be bothered running up my processor as well.

They are good enough, that Jo comes down from Southport to have her stuff done there as well.

I have sent quite a bit of stuff to Peak and never had a problem, but I can see where you are coming from....

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have the same issues re sending film in the post, I had some film away for along time with no communication etc, thought it was lost but the processor had been away for a few weeks and didn't answer his emails or phone messages. I got them back but it scared the heck out of me...
I am so far away from civilisation(!) that I decided that I would process my own, so Jobo bought I set too it. I am quite surprised by how easy it is really, the jobo does the temp side and I watch the clock. I had a few problems with exact times but I have a good workflow sorted now and am more than happy. Cost is a little better but the control is a major bonus, as for processing at the end of the day or weekend away, excitement of xmas to the power of?????
Go on, you know you want too!!!

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

"Rolling my own" is very tempting - how long from getting the processing stuff out of the box to putting it away does it take you, Gari? I spend little enough time as it is with my head under the darkcloth - I'm very conscious that the time taken to process my own would be a prohibiting factor in me doing so.

How hard is your water on Mull - do you treat it before use or is it straight out of the tap?

keffs

Re: E6 Processing

Post by keffs » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim Myers wrote:Hello all, and greetings from the darkest depths of The Wirral Peninsula.

I'm wondering where people get their E6 processed? ...
BPDPhotec, in Warrington.

Steve

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hey Tim, about 30 mins for process bath1 to stabalizer, but the bath needs time to get up to temp. I normally turn the Jobo on and then do the domestic stuff till I am ready to go. Water fine here, no problems as we have quite soft water, I have a hill supply so I don't need to worry about chemicals as such.
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:59 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

keffs wrote:BPDPhotec, in Warrington.
Hi Steve,

Last time I spoke to BPD they were sending all their films to Pro2Col - are they still doing that or have they started processing in-house?

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If I need E6 processing in a rush I use Colourbase in Headington, Oxford. I can drive past there going into work and pickup the same time the next day. They charge £2 + VAT a sheet.

99% of my E6 goes to Peak Imaging via the post. This does worry me, as I tend to save up film to get a 25% discount on the normal £1.95 inc VAT cost. I've got around 30 sheets and 6 120 films ready to go to them, plus there'll be some more after next weeks trip to Yorkshire. I've been using them for years and nothings gone astray yet, but we get so many wrongly delivered letters it makes you concerned about the post. Peak do a very nice job, and are quick.

Eventually I'll buy a used Jobo CPP2 or CPA2 processor and feel more secure. I already develop my own B&W, it'll be nice to be able to do it all at home.

keffs

Post by keffs » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim Myers wrote:...Last time I spoke to BPD they were sending all their films to Pro2Col - are they still doing that or have they started processing in-house?
I didn't know that they did this. I have not used them much, but the return times where pretty quick if they are sending them out.

Steve

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

AFAIK BPD do still do their E6 processing with Pro2Col.

Charles had some problems with BPD loosing some of his negs at some point. However, they seem to be the only place that still to Ilfochrome printing in the NW....

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello,
Can confirm that BPD have been shockingly bad in their admin, putting the wrong address on the enveloppe in at least one case and not sending it by special delivery in an other (3 packets lost in 9 months...). Things seem to be better now as I have severely lambasted them and I now get personal treatment. I still trust them with my prints because they are good but I am nervous. Trouble is that I send my best trannies for printing (naturally), so any loss is a problem. The only solution is the pro route where you shoot the scene thrice in order to have a spare (expensive though). I get my E6 processing done by NPS in Middlesbrough (visitable during my lunch hour) and so far am very satisfied.
BPD send their E6 processing to Pro2Col; the toing and froing takes an extra couple days compared to mailing directly to Pro2Col. But BPD seem to have preferential rates around £1.95 a shot (inc VAT) last time I looked.
Hope that clears things,
Charles

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've spoken to Pro2Col and for a fiver they'll send one of their vans to collect and deliver back my E6 - collect at 11:30 back by 11:30 the next day.

They're collecting tomorrow AM.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

How far does the van travel? Do you know?
Charles

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:34 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

They say 'North West' - I'm unsure of their exact routes, if I'm about when the guy calls I'll ask him.

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I always use Loxley colour in Glasgow - send it special delivery and they return it special delivery. Never had any problems yet