Darkcloth options

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Steve Bell

Darkcloth options

Post by Steve Bell » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have been using a Morco red and black cloth. If its windy I'll clip it to my Toyo 45A. If it falls in a stream and gets wet, it becomes heavier and cold, no fun. I'm looking for something smaller and lighter to go into a smaller kit in a shoulder bag, the Morco cloth has to go.

The BTZS Focus Hood got some good recomendations in an earlier thread, and I'm tempted to go for one. Is the Walker darkcloth the same as the BTZS Focus Hood? From the picture it looks very similar. If it is I'll order it in the UK rather than from the Viewcamera Store in the USA.

One last thought, what do other Toyo 45A or 45AII users use?

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve,

Looking at the Walker cloth, it seems similar to the BTZS one but is the Walker one open on the end and you close it down via the drawstring?

The BTZS one has velcro along the bottom slot so you adjust the size of the hand hole as required. It doesn't open on the end but forms a hood for over your head - think of a parka coat with it's hood going all the way round your head and you look out through the hole at the other end...

The only issues I have with my BTZS one are:

a) on the 45SU, the asymmetric controls are covered by the elastic so you either struggle to get to the knobs or push the elastic forwards so that it clamps around the bellows rather than the camera body.

b) you need a nice ventilating breeze circulating through as they can get steamed up on a cool day and sweaty on a warm day.

On a plus side, they are waterproof - mine shielded the camera during a half-hour heavy downpour - I had to leave everything set up and sit it out as breaking the camera down to go back in the bag would have got it soaked (and ruined all the movements and filter positions :( )

They are pretty good in the wind (breeze etc) as they tend to hold their shape so you're not fighting with a sail.

I've got one of the Morco cloths - bought it VAT-free at Focus but only used it once as it's so heavy it was pulling the camera and tripod around as you moved about under it :(

I've got a sheet of "single-weight" black cloth for inside churches where the light is pretty low and there's unlikely to be a breeze. It's just not very light-tight and fly-away for outside use.

I also got a Harrison darkcloth from e**y - it's good for Batman & Robin impressions as it nearly reaches the backs of my knees when I'm under it but unfortunately it blows up like a long sausage (think of a big silver & black bolster case) when there's a breeze about. It fastens onto the camera with elastic and velcro to open or close gaps. It can fasten around the front leg of the tripod to get a hood shape but can restrict the movement of the camera. It's good for a raincoat if you get caught out...

I haven't tried a Blackjacket - Paul O. and Marc are the best ones for them...

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

keffs

Post by keffs » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Apple wrote:....I haven't tried a Blackjacket - Paul O. and Marc are the best ones for them...
I have, and I like it. It does not get heavy when wet, and does make a very good rain cover for the camera.

Steve

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Steve. Finding a good darkcloth is like looking for hen's teeth. What suits one is a pita for others :lol:
The Blackjacket is a good compromise and as a design is "almost" perfect. Good points:
1. It does what it says on the tin - keeps the light out!
2. The sleeves make adjusting controls/using a loupe a cinch!
3. It will keep the camera completely covered in the rain
4. It will keep you completely covered in the rain - I can still picture Marc modelling one at a workshop!

Not so good points:
1. The 5x4 version is, imo, a bit of a tight fit. For your Toyo you will probably find the 5x7 version a better compromise.

Marc is borrowing the 5x4 version and I have a 10x8 version (massive!) but useable for 5x4 but a bit bulky to carry/pack. Ian B has a sample 5x4 too that he is using.

It might be worth contacting either or my good self and asking for a borrow - they are light to post.

I've tried the BTZS tube and felt it too claustrophobic/restrictive. I tried the Harrison and felt like an extra in Star Wars. :lol:

I've also tried using the camera with a viewer rather than a cloth - I prefer the principle of a bellows viewer to shade the screen but found that they allow too much light onto the ground glass.

For the last few years I've been using a small Ebony cloth that has been customised (by my better half) and is a hybrid cloth/tube :wink:

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Apple wrote:Steve,

I also got a Harrison darkcloth from e**y - it's good for Batman & Robin impressions as it nearly reaches the backs of my knees when I'm under it but unfortunately it blows up like a long sausage (think of a big silver & black bolster case) when there's a breeze about.

Andrew
No joy there then, only Zorro. :wink:

George Hart
Forum Hero

Post by George Hart » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve, can I suggest that you give Mike Walker a call? He's extremely approachable and helpful.

I have no connections with Mike, other than living less than 5 miles away from him!

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just had a look at the Walker website re: his darkcloth ... it's a copy of my hybrid Ebony :shock:

... wish I'd patented the design now :cry:

Still, mine has got the "Ebony" logo emblazoned on the side and his hasn't, so there :wink:

amansjeanphilippe

Post by amansjeanphilippe » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

hello
maybe you can sew a small bellows with black cloth with a small hole for the magnifer. Linof have such accessory for technika.
J.Ph.

Henry

Post by Henry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:01 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sorry to come in so late on this topic, but on my Ebony 45SU I've used the generic black/red cloth (too heavy and hot in all conditions), the Ebony lightweight one (not bad, but too hot for me in summer) and the lightweight BlackJacket hybrid (by far the best, but can still get hot in summer) and I've also used the Robert White viewing bellows (not as easy to use when using movements, but fine for simple schiempflug using the assymetric focus facility on the SU). For landscapes I tend to use the RW bellows, but for anything more complicated, then the BlackJacket does the job for me!