Harris

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
JC

Harris

Post by JC » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi, would like too know best time of year to visit the Isle of Harris. Been meaning to see an old friend, and would like to take some pics whilst I'm there.(or is it the other way around!) . Any suitable places for locations would be welcome too.
Thanks JC

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Harris

Post by Lynne Evans » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi JC
In my opinion the best time to be on Harris (or the Western Isles in general) are May, June and the early part of July. The machair is in continuous flower at this time, and daylengths are long. You have to be prepared to stay up late and get up early if you want sunrises and sunsets, but take a tent and you can camp right where you want to photograph.

See the July issue of Outdoor Photography for a great Harris viewpoint :)

Lynne

JC

Post by JC » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Cheers Lynne, I am planning on going this year at some point- oops should have mentioned this. But I will try and get a copy of magazine you mentioned.
Thank You JC

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Harris

Post by Lynne Evans » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Oh, right. I know that in the north of Scotland the light is really nice in September, and you quite often get some good weather, by then the midges may have abated a bit, too :D .

I've travelled to just about every corner of the Outer Hebrides so can point you to some nice spots if you want, but in the first instance get yourself some maps and look at what is there. Road ends on the west coast always seemed to have something to offer...I met a very nice man there :oops: .

Lynne