Photo Holidays

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Paul Sanders

Photo Holidays

Post by Paul Sanders » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

I am going to be writing a series of articles on photographic holidays and workshops for The Times, of course I am going to give our group some publicity in this series. Do any of you know of any wired and wonderful setups for photo holidays in the UK.

I am looking for things slightly out of the ordinary - not all LF some nature and wildlife packages too.

Any experiences good or bad will be appreciated.

thanks

Paul

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul,

I haven't been on anything formal like an organised photo holiday (assuming UKLFPG holidays aren't classed as formal) so can't really comment on them - Richard Holroyd and Lynne have been on a few as far as I remember so may be more qualified.

I have been on weekend seminars where workshops, lectures and photographic sessions are organised - just come back off one this weekend from near Castleton in the Peak District. This was something organised by the Yorkshire Photographic Union so is only really open to members of it's affiliated clubs. There are others arranged around the country depending where you are based.

I suppose you're looking for experiences of the Light & Land type courses et al.? There's also some holidays that end up in this country, e.g. Tillman Crane from the US has run courses over here (Scotland / Ireland etc) mainly for Americans but I guess "locals" tag along as well (saves the air fare :wink: )

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Paul,

Inversnaid Photography Centre run a broad range of workshops. It is also a great place to stay and relax. Recommended.

Barry

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,

I think there is Lakeland Photographic Holidays (or a vaguely similar name) in (unsurprisingly) the Lake District, which have had good writeups in the photographic press in recent years. I'm sure they have a website (but can't be bothered to check).

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Ole Tjugen

Post by Ole Tjugen » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've never really understood the difference between a "photographic holiday" and any other kind of holiday?

I'll bring a camera anyway - this year I've brought a 8x10" Gandolfi to Northern Norway, a 4x5" Speed Graphic to Italy, and both of the above as well as the 5x7" Gandolfi and the 4x5" Carbon Infinity to southern Norway (I went by car that time, which made it a bit easier).

My wife is getting used to it by now, and some times she'll even encourage me. Like the Italy trip, where she spotted potential subjects for me... :)
Ole Tjugen

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:42 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ole,

I think the difference is that on 'photographic holidays,' it implies that a group of like-minded people gather to take pictures at a range of locations pre-arranged/visited by the organisers and maybe led by one or more tutors, e.g. Joe Cornish, Charlie Waite etc (and maybe pay through the nose for the privilege but that's another matter :wink: )

Ordinary holidays are where you do as you've done - you go on holiday with your camera(s) with the intention of taking pictures if you see anything you like, you might have the family along with you who may or may not be co-operative :wink: The choice of location, activity, whether you stay in bed all day etc is up to you...

Ole Tjugen

Post by Ole Tjugen » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Apple wrote:...

I think the difference is that on 'photographic holidays,' it implies that a group of like-minded people gather to take pictures at a range of locations pre-arranged/visited by the organisers and maybe led by one or more tutors, e.g. Joe Cornish, Charlie Waite etc (and maybe pay through the nose for the privilege but that's another matter :wink: ) ...
Right. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see the point...

Meeting other LF photographers for an evening of shooting (or a week of shooting) is one thing, a full workshop another, but the organised "photographic holiday" is neither nor. And if you try to bring LF gear to a non-LF event you'll have to contend with the ones who want to move on before you've finished setting up - because they've "already shot 500 digiframes in that location and there's nothing more to see; and why don't you get a modern camera too and shoot thousands of mediocre frames like the rest of us?"
Ole Tjugen

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ole Tjugen wrote:And if you try to bring LF gear to a non-LF event you'll have to contend with the ones who want to move on before you've finished setting up - because they've "already shot 500 digiframes in that location and there's nothing more to see; and why don't you get a modern camera too and shoot thousands of mediocre frames like the rest of us?"
I go on a weekend do once every two years (it was a couple of weekends ago) and I purposely take the LF - it's a talking point as the rest of them are on d****** plastic lumps (apart from one person where it drew a round of gasps when his film camera wound back the film at the end of the roll :wink: ) and it also means that if they go on a walk around the surrounding hills, I say I'd slow them down too much so there's no point me going...

I'm probably the youngest there by a good 20 years but have the most "ancient" technology and a wooden tripod - a dinosaur and a Luddite (look up the history as it's an English term :wink: )

I always smile at the Big Camera Workshop advert for Ebony cameras in View Camera magazine:

"No bells, no whistles,
No sensor, no mega pixels,
No program mode, no movie mode,
No modes at all, no digital zoom,
No video output port,
No flashing lights, no LCD monitor,
No 18 month product life, no continual up-grades, no repairs,

No compromise...

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:11 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ole Tjugen wrote:I've never really understood the difference between a "photographic holiday" and any other kind of holiday?
:)
I don't think you'll find many people who have been on a light and land holiday agreeing with you. Each location is stayed at for at least an hour and most often two. There is a good mix of LF and digi but the goal of the course is to think more about your photos (and definitely to be using a tripod). There is a lot less traipsing around than you'd think.

I have been on a holiday in the Hebrides and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The sense of camaraderie was fantastic and the opportunity to spend more than 15 minutes in one location without the pressure to move on was the best thing!

I'm sure David Ward would be happy to speak to you about the holidays and I can put you in touch with many satisfied customers to talk to..

Tim

tim@pollenation.net
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

and I can put you in touch with many satisfied customers to talk to..
No need! There's one right here. :)

There's a lot to recommend with Light&Land - locations are well-researched and you get to go to places you probably would never find out about, had you gone on a 'normal' holiday. You also get access to world-class pros, who are enthusiastic and generous with their time and expertise. Most importantly, is that nothing gets in the way of the photography - unlike a standard holiday.

But for me, the absolute best bit is the sense of community that the company fosters.

Expensive, but worth every penny.
Another David Ward victim
LOL!! I know exactly what you mean.... ;-)

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Post by Lynne Evans » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul

I've been on several photo holidays - none specifically LF. One L&L, several Inversnaid and just back from a Wildshots week (Pete Cairns outfit). I'm happy to comment on them for you if it isn't too late - PM me if you still want input. I'd be inclined to rate Inversnaid out in the lead for good organisation, accommodation, price and all round jolly good time.

Lynne

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

still looking for guys n girls

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Post by Lynne Evans » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

So what would you like me to do :wink: ........?

SteveH
Forum Hero

Post by SteveH » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Need a secret shopper? :D
Big is beautiful.

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

thanks folks, most helpful. I have done one trip with LPH - John Gravett was brilliant. I am now looking for a photo safari or wildlife photography trip in the UK - anyone been on one of these?

Lynne, what can I ask of you???? :wink: