Formatt filters

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Charles Twist
Founder

Formatt filters

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Good evening all,
Just a quick warning about Formatt filters. It's best not to use the Formatt sleeves (stiff plastic + card) as storage in the field. A couple months back, I bought an 81B which has seen a fair bit of action since then. It's now badly scratched - not deep gouges, but loads of little marks, all parallel to the edge of the filter (ie an orthogonal cross-hatch). I reckon the cause is fine particulates that get wedged in the cardboard; the stiff plastic outer sleeve then ensures they grind against the resin when the filter is taken out or put in. Best to use a filter wallet if using these filters; alternatively, dust out the sleeve every time, or pull out the cardboard with the filter. Or avoid dusty places.
Charles

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the heads-up, Charles. It reminds me that I'm supposed to be getting hold of a Cokin p-series 10-fiilter box for mine rather than the sleeves. I think one of these will be easier to handle in the field than a multi-wallet.

Incidentally, the individual Formatt plastic wallets don't seem too durable - a couple of the ones I got fractured with only a litttle use, hence the box requirement above...

Andrew