Film Types - Opinions please

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Chris Jameson

Film Types - Opinions please

Post by Chris Jameson » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm a complete novice, so I may be asking a question which has been asked a thousand times before, and with polarised opinions on the subject, but here goes.

First of all, what exactly is quickload film?
I understand the basic concept, but the details of quickload when compared to sheet is unclear to me.

Second, there's a hefty premium to pay for quickload, but is it worth it?
I gather that for sheet film you need a sherpa's worth of double dark slides, but with quickload you need the one back, is this correct?
As someone who spends their time out and about for landscape work, which is the best solution.

Some other factors which may have an impact on the advice are that I don't have a darkroom, and while I'm not willing to pour money into this crazy LF thing, it's a hobby and a luxury so cost is something I try not to worry about (notice I said try!).

Thanks,

Chris.

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Chris,

For me the benefit of Quickload is purely convenience. I can simply pick a box of film out of my fridge, put it in my pack and go. If I were shooting sheet film I'd have to contend with loading / unloading the dark slides.

Each Quickload is a sheet of film held in a light-tight cardboard envelope. The envelope is placed inside the Quickload back (you're quite correct that you only ever need carry one) where you can open the envelope to expose the film inside. It's a very easy to use system, and once you've learnt its little quirks (like not putting the film in the holder the wrong way round) it works very well and quite reliably.

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Post by Lynne Evans » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Note that Tim says "quite" reliably! I've been next to him when things have gone wrong and it's not a pretty sight! I have used Quickload and it's OK, but for me cost is a big issue, so I use sheet fil and darkslides. Yes, they do add to the weight, but I don't carry my LF gear on treks across the country so 6 DDS gives me 12 shots, which is more than I've managed to shoot on one expedition. I use a Calumet changing room (a sophisticated changing bag) for loading and unloading and as I travel lots it means I can do it wherever I happen to be. One other big advantage is that if you remove the dark slide ready to expose the film then the light changes you can replace it without exposing the film. I was in this position with Quickload and other than shoving the sleeve back and leaving it in the holder there was nothing I could do but expose the film. This is a particular pain if you are shooting e.g some couor and some B&W, because it means your next shot has to be whatever is in the holder. maybe there's a way out of this that my pea brain couldn't work out.

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Lynne Evans wrote: maybe there's a way out of this that my pea brain couldn't work out.
Yep, push the envelope down, hold the catch, remove the unexposed film. Exactly the same way as you'd do it if you'd fired the shutter - except you don't fire the shutter.

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Chris

You might want to take a look at the Robert White page on LF Accessories as it shows the Fuji, Kodak & Polaroid backs with test results on interchangeability.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/Large%20accessories.htm

Regards, Peter

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Lynne Evans wrote:I've been next to him when things have gone wrong and it's not a pretty sight!
The same could be said for Grafmatic film holders - good when working OK but infuriating at times.

The Grafmatic holds 6 sheets of film and you cycle through each sheet until it's finished and you change all at once. The holder is a bit thicker than a DDS but takes the equivalent of 3 DDSs.

The aren't available new but come up sometimes in 2nd-hand channels (AFAIR there's some in one of our site's classified threads) You've got to watch that all the septums (the internal sleeves that hold the film) are still present and aren't bent (it's possible to straighten them up to a point but it's a hassle) Some come up on a certain auction site every so often but can go for "interesting" :shock: prices :wink:

As Lynne said, you'll need a changing bag / tent to load the film in complete darkness.

The big things with quickloads - convenience for carrying - no loading of individual sheets into DDS with all the potential dust and light problems if you make a mess of it, you can put any guickload film into a quickload holder - you don't have to finish a back off on B&W before swapping to colour etc. There's space on the quickload sleeve for writing notes etc for later. You can really do single exposure / development for B&W (it's possible for DDS and Grafmatics but your systems have to be more "refined" to account for 'which sheet needs which development time' etc.

As has been mentioned, the drawback of quickload film is cost and availability. Some films just aren't available in Q/L format - basically you've got to use Fuji film in them (see the link posted above for other info) For instance, if you like Ilford films then you're out of luck regarding quickloads (big hint to Mr. / Mrs. Ilford etc)

AFAIK, Q/L isn't officially imported into this country now so you're relying upon companies importing it off their own back. Prices are "sufficient" :shock: so it's better to wait for some of the offers, e.g. 3 for 2 at Robert White's and others. It's sometimes possible to get hold of outdated / liquidation stock but this can be a rarity. I've heard that the film holders aren't made now so they'll become scarce - it appears to be a case of Fuji shooting themselves in the foot as they keep plugging film usage but whittle down the sales opportunities...
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

uraniumnitrate
Forum Hero

Post by uraniumnitrate » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I use loaded holders because of the low cost of films but, I have one pack of quickload with me for the occasions when I run out of film and don’t have a possibility to re-load.
You know those times when you are not done and it’s too early to go back home. :wink: