Black and White Printing Course

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Dave Parkin

Black and White Printing Course

Post by Dave Parkin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

To start the new year I need to improve my black and white darkroom printing. I have a basic knowledge of the process and wish to learn how to produce expressive prints rather than something which is merely competent (or should that be mediocre?). I think I would be looking at 3 or 4 days in one session rather than one day a week for a month

Has anyone got any recommendations for suitable courses?

Thanks

Dave

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

André at Inversnaid rus B&W printing courses; here are last year's details. Might be worth dropping a line and seeing if they've published the calendar for 2008 yet.

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Re: Black and White Printing Course

Post by Keith Tapscott » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dave Parkin wrote:To start the new year I need to improve my black and white darkroom printing. I have a basic knowledge of the process and wish to learn how to produce expressive prints rather than something which is merely competent (or should that be mediocre?). I think I would be looking at 3 or 4 days in one session rather than one day a week for a month

Has anyone got any recommendations for suitable courses?

Thanks

Dave
Hi Dave,
Former Ilford employee Dave Butcher offers one to one darkroom tuition. I process and print my own from 35mm to 6x7 medium-format, but cannot enlarge 4x5.
You shouldn`t need 3 to 4 days tuition, as you will find printing very straight forward and a lot of fun provided that you expose and process your films properly.

http://www.davebutcher.net

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dave,

I've been to a lecture by Dave Butcher - he knows what he's doing with the printing...

When he was going through his prints on the snow / mountaineering trips you got a bit blase about them and then he put up a straight print - he knows how to drag the best out of a negative.

As an alternative, there's Les McLean more in your neck of the woods.

If you get to Focus on Imaging, you'll probably be able to have a word with both of them for further info... Les is a regular and I've seen Dave on the Ilford stand for the last few years.
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Andrea

Post by Andrea » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:46 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew Sanderson - Holmfirth. Does 1to1 courses. Really good and works with the minimum of flash, expensive gear but really produces the prints
FKD gaffer-tape special user

john shiell

Post by john shiell » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:43 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Colin Westgate does an exhibition printing course over 2 days. Maybe a little too far south for you. www.questphoto.co.uk
John