Problem with LF lens bought from ebay...

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Paul Mitchell

Problem with LF lens bought from ebay...

Post by Paul Mitchell » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Don't want to burden you with my problems but just wondered if anyone had any advice on what to do next...

A couple of weeks ago I spotted a Schneider 90mm f8 Super Angulon for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=006

Ran it by Buze (a regular on this forum) first who suggested it could be a bargain and that he would CLA the lens if I won it. I bid, won the lens and sent the cheque off. 2 weeks later (this Monday) I received the lens which looked in superb condition. Buze then kindly popped by and picked up the lens. The next day Buze called me to say that the shutter couldn't be released as there wasn't one! at some point someone had tried to, rather badly, take the mechanism apart and had, for whatever reason, removed the shutter blades entirely. Immediately Buze suggested I ask for a refund as the lens was incomplete and therefore his description was incorrect... I emailed the seller... he replied with a very rude message basically telling me to take a hike as I bought it 'as seen' and even suggested that he only had my word for it that it had been 'tampered with'.

My question is... if any of you guys/gals read that description, would you assume the problem was terminal or have I been naive?

Paul

Tony

90mm

Post by Tony » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul I think I was bidding against you but I factored in getting a new Copal shutter I got to £60 and dropped out. Not sure this helps much. Iv'e looed at the ad again and there is a difference between no shutter and a missing shutter
Tony

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tony, my initial reaction was to say to myself 'never mind I just need to buy a new shutter'. The fact is they don't come up S/H that often and they're over £200 new. I just feel that the seller, by pleading ignorance, is getting off the hook. :-(

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul, unfortunately, I think, if the lens really is in mint condition and bearing in mind the description the seller gave, that you still got a bargain, even if you have to buy a new shutter :( You would be talking around £700 for a new lens with shutter, take off £200 and you got the lens only for about 1/3 price. Having said that, finding a shutter that doesn't shut must be a breach of some description law or something.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have to say bad luck, but shop around there are the occasional shutters on ebay, or damaged lenses you could take a shutter from.

Price wise I think Joanne's wrong, I paid the same as you (well actually a bit less) for a similar but fully working Super Angulon last year. That's all these lenses sell for.

But actually re-reading the sellers description I think his listing highly inaccurate, I'd contact ebay, and start a claim. Why does he no longer use Paypal, have people claimed refunds from him before ?

Ian

vanman
Forum Hero

Problem with LF lens bought on e-bay

Post by vanman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:59 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you can find a second hand Copal/Polaroid shutter (they're a press type shutter) it should keep costs down a bit.
Vanman.

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for your all your replies.

Have decided that ebay is not for me anymore, I joined in 2002 and back then there seemed to be lots of genuine honest people to trade with, unfortunately that is not the case now.

Have decided to buy a new shutter from Teamwork

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php? ... s_id=12134

Quick question... I presume I tell them what lens I intend to use with this shutter, they then add the appropriate aperture scale? are they expensive?

Paul

chipper

Post by chipper » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul

I have to say that i've bought 3 LF lenses on ebay, and 6 or 7 35mm and medium format cameras and lenses, and never had a problem. I shudder to think what i'd have paid for all of those new.
I must admit I would have been put off at the start from reading the seller's description of the lens. You just cant list it as MINT, and then go on to say there's a jammed shutter (or none at all). He also stated extreme wide angle (which it isn't), and no Paypal. I suppose i'm saying that i've just got a feel for genuine listings (or otherwise) over the years, and if i've ever had the slightest doubt, I don't bid.
Sold as seen, probably won't get you too far with a claim, but its always worth a try. Stu.

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Paul,

Difficult this one. Although I think morally you are in the right, you may have to put this down to experience. As others have said, the listing was very inaccurate.

You definitely need to be careful. There is a Nikon 90/f4.5 on E*** at the moment. A careful look shows it to be in a replacement shutter with the wrong scale. I know because I own one.

I hope you can sort this out.

Regards

Barry