most durable tripod

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Thingy,

I use the 410 with an SW45 and the 452 extension back - the 405 is just bigger and heavier...

The extension back on a 45SU - interesting prospect - you're either going really long or really close :)!

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim Myers wrote:Hi Thingy,

I use the 410 with an SW45 and the 452 extension back - the 405 is just bigger and heavier...

The extension back on a 45SU - interesting prospect - you're either going really long or really close :)!
I'm thinking I might need the extension back for macrophotography with a Schneider 80/120mm Makro Symmar HM or if I ever decide to use anything longer than my 300mm/f9 Nikkor.... bearing in mind that I currently have 6 lenses, roll-film back, QL back, Polaroid 405 and 545 backs but have not yet bought the camera! :roll:

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:
I'm thinking I might need the extension back for macrophotography with a Schneider 80/120mm Makro Symmar HM or if I ever decide to use anything longer than my 300mm/f9 Nikkor....
Hi Thingy,

For what magnification range is the macro lens optimised? According to the specifications, the standard SU bellows can extend to approx. 365mm which is up to about 1.5x lifesize with the 120mm. This should also allow you to fit a longer that 300mm lens but you could also consider telephoto lenses, e.g. a 400T lens... I've tried one of these on my SU but you need a decent tripod/head and a calm day if using it outside :wink:

I also use a 410 head but on top of a Berlebach tripod and don't have any problems for my normal photography subjects. I've never been a fan of ball & socket heads and the compactness (no rods sticking out) of the 410 head along with the gear movements is great.

The head features a round spirit level which can be a bit hopeless but you've got the twin levels on the SU which are great.

I guess RW has recommended the 405 head if you're putting long / heavy lenses on - it's a bit of extra beef to hold them at extended bellows positions as the Ebony isn't like a monorail where you can find the centre of gravity / balance point along the rail.

I've no experience of the Gitzo range apart from the sharp intake of breath when any prices are mentioned :shock: :wink:

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:46 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

For what it is worth I have used a 3-section Gitzo 1325 CF tripod with 1370M head with my Toyo 45 since I bought it new ca 10 years ago & have found it perfectly OK. I did fit walking stick rubber ends - the hard plastic ends fitted started scarring almost immediately & the WS ends just fit over the originals to protect them. I did not bother with a centre column since I have one on a Slik tripod & rarely needed it. Hope this is some help. Dennis.

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Is anyone here using a Feisol tripod?
I'm seriously thinking of getting the CT-3471 to replace my Gitzo 1531 which really isnt man enough for my Shen Hao.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Apple and Dennis

I see I probably won't need the extension back (he says with a great sigh of relief). I was concerned about the right tripod head as the camera alone weighs in at 2.6Kg and one of my wide angle lenses for it weighs almost 1Kg! I suppose my main worry is that in using at camera which will cost me a quarter of my (part-time) annual salary after tax, I don't want to risk it getting damaged because of me skimping of a suitable head. I currently use Gitzo's excellent Basalt tripod with a ball head for my Olympus E-3 but suspect it's not up to supporting an Ebony on a windy hilltop, when with my rucksack dangling off the hook under the centre column.

I tried a number of tripods before buying my first Gitzo about 25 years ago, and have always bought them ever since. My original studex still works but its replacement, the Basalt, is about half the weight of the studex alone and that includes the magnesium ball head! Gitzo are expensive but they've always been very robust and reliable in my experience.

Nat

Post by Nat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi all.
Sorry to highjack. I have read through this thread and a lot of the tripods mentioned are no longer available.

Yesterday (02 Oct 2008) I was in Robert whites ordering an Ebony 45su, the tripod recommended was the Manfrotto 055 (not Carbon Fibre), with a Manfrotto MN410 Junior Geared Head.

I use a smaller Manfrotto for medium format, and a huge old Gitzo for the Sinar, but I now need a tripod for the Ebony that I can backpack with and also stick in the sea for seascapes.

Are any members using any of the latest offerings from Gitzo or Manfrotto, and could they advise accordingly.

Many thanks in advance.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Before I switched to the Berlebach tripod legs, I used an 055CLB with the 410 geared head - no complaints and a great general tripod - easy and quick to set up / take down and plenty strong enough for the 45SU. I eventually wrapped the legs with handlebar tape to give them a bit more grip / soften them for longer carrying distances and make them less cold to the touch in cold climates.

That setup was just the correct height for me with the SU - the legs at the standard angle and full extension meant the g/g was comfortably at eye-level :)

I never used the centre column on the Manfrotto as it appeared to be the "weak point" in the system so now my Berlebach doesn't have a column...

As for plonking it in the sea - I'd a) be a bit wary as it's aluminium and b) make sure it was rinsed in plain water and dried properly each time if you had to immerse it. You'd have to come up with a maintenance schedule and maybe change some of the fittings to A6 / 316 stainless steel (marine grade stuff)

Andrew

Nat

Post by Nat » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:24 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew, thanks for the speedy response, I looked at the Berlebach tripods, they look lovely crafted and I can now appreciate why people use them, unfortunately Euro to the Pound, make them an expensive option (student loan gone on Ebony). :D

I looked at the remaining tripod manufactures including Feisol tripods, but have gone for the Manfrotto 055 and the 410-geared head, I can also use this with medium and large format.

Interesting idea about using marine materials, will have to visit a few marine engineers and enquire.

Normally I just rinse it of as soon as possible (bottle of water from the boot of the car or local toilets), then once home warm water From the shower, towelled and then left at room temperature for a couple of hours, then a final spray with WD 40, wipe with a cloth to remove any excess WD 40 or moisture, so far it has been ok.

Oh well beans on toast for the next year, all donations accepted. :)

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:56 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nat wrote:Oh well beans on toast for the next year, all donations accepted. :)
Just wait until you see the price of quickload film if you want to go that way... :shock: :wink:

It sounds like you've got a well tried method for the salt water :mrgreen:

They say it's possible to put the wooden tripod legs in salt water as well as long as you rinse and dry them naturally / slowly - at least you'd save on some of the WD40 cost... :wink:

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:Is the Manfrotto 410 head more suitable for the Ebony 45SU than the 405, were I to use the latter with an extension back in the future? Robert White have recommended using the Manfrotto 405 head with a Gitzo GT3531 tripod for the 45SU.
I have a 45SU and I use it with my 410 on a Gitzo 2530. Seems a perfectly adequate combination to me.

Nat

Post by Nat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:41 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew I Think sticking with conventional loading at the moment, as quickload's makes my eyes water at those prices! :shock:

Next project is to research a rucksack to carry it all in :?, this is the year of being budget conscious on equipment, but shooting more film.
:D

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just my 0.02 EUR here:

I usually carry a Manfrotto 055CL with a 410 head (aparently a typical combination...) I replaced the centre column with a short column for weight saving initially, but now have out a self levelling column on for convenience. Either of those combinations worked really well for me and carried my metal Wista as steady as a rock, as long as the centre column is not extended beyond 30cm or so (about a foot in old money, methinks). The PRO version of the 055 (with the semispherical holder on top) might go a little higher, bun YMMV. The 055 is high enough for me most days, so I don't usually bother with the centre extension.

I have played with the CF version in Calumet once or twice and found to my horror, that the legs seemed to be prone to horizontal flexing when in standard configuration. Not by much but enough to ensure I didn't spend GBP 240 or such on one. Especially as it is only 0.3 Kg lighter than the aluminium version. This was a few years ago and since then the 055CF has gone through a few configurations, so this is probably solved I would think.

I have just picked up a smaller 190CF3 in Ffordes' Manfrotto clearout, and was surprised at the stability of it. It is an extremely light tripod, The vibrations from the stiff legs don't transmit very well and it holds my SLR or Mamiya 7 or my Bronica very well, as long as I don't overdoo the centre column (again). I would not be too worried about putting the Wista on it, if I keep the centre column in. O.o This one will make a perfect travel tripod. 410 head on this one as well :)

Two other things worth mentioning:
With Manfrotto, stay away from the small rectangular QR plate (RC2) when using LF. I had used one for a long time on my ballhead unit. It does introduce a certain level of "wobbliness" into the setup :) It is fine for small SLRs and maybe a light MF but definitely not anything like a LF camera. Lesson learned!

A tripod is a balancing act (no pun intended). You are looking for a compromise between stiffness (for stability) and the ability to dampen vibration. The consensus amongst most photographers is that the best combination for this is still a wooden tripod... Ries or Berlebach are the typical ones here. There is a reason that most surveyors tripods are wood. However, due to the necessity to get the appropriate stability, you need a lot of wood, making the tripod rather large and heavy. Oh, and wood does not deal with water exposure too well, sometimes :)
If this is not an option, then Aluminium tubing is an appropriate alternative which provides a reasonable compromise. Stiffness is as good or better than that of wood, vibration dampening is not too far off. And the tubing can be reasonably light as well, making this the classic solution for most photographers. It can also withstand water, saltwater, etc with just a little bit of care. In fact, it is usually the steel fittings that go, rather than the tubing....
CF tripods are a "recent" introduction. CF is very light and incredibly stiff in most directions, making this tripods incredibly stable. Unfortunately, this and its light weight means that there is good vibration transmission along the legs and the tripod picks up wind vibration easily :( The manufacturers have been addressing this with variations in CF manufacture (introducing a degree of flexibility) by spinning the fibres differently and changing the tube shape to address this and the current generation of CF tripods is actually very nice... But cost often more than a good 2nd Hand Lens :roll:

In summary, the larger and heavier yout tripod is, the more stable and the more vibration resistant :) In other words: light, stable, no vibration. Pick any two!

There is not much to choose between the main manufacturers (Gitzo, Manfrotto/Bogen, Giottos, etc.), they all make nice tripods with heads that are well exchangeable between them. Wood is nice but bulky and difficult to lug around. Ask Andrew :)
I know Manfrotto make large tripods (e.g. the 058) which are really nice and stable and have a set of stabilisers between the legs, to limit vibration. Unfortunately, again they are heavy and somewhat bulky. Perfect in studios, though. In fact that is what I used in College to handle LF and MF cameras in the studio.

As advice (if you care), I can only suggest to try them in Calumet or Jessops or similar, and find which ones suit you. I ought my 055 ages(!) ago and it is still serving me very well. The 190CF is becoming a standard companion for me, tough. Usually, I have both in the car. I'm getting lazy, I'm afraid. :wink:

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Marc.

A point or two to add - CF tripods can be nice but be wary of loading them in ways they weren't designed to take, i.e. crushing the legs sideways or getting nicks in the material (stress raisers / failure points.)

As Marc said, manufacturers are looking at weave patterns to help with these issues.

I'd hardly call a wooden tripod a chick magnet (it hasn't worked for me yet, anyway :( ) but it certainly draws some comments as most people assume it's ancient, especially if you've a wooden camera on top as well! I got one without the centre column as I rarely use the feature and it prevented me getting really close to the ground, but I got the levelling head which is helpful. With a few other modifications I had done, it's slightly heavier than my 055CLB but for my level of walking, it's not going to be a problem.

I have an 058 which I used with a Sinar P2 and whilst it's very solid, it's not the one for walking any distance unless you've got a willing volunteer (victim) to carry it for you.

Andrew

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm _still_ trying to find the best option for my P2 - my 055XProB/410 combo works quite well for 5x4, but for 10x8 it's really not very satisfactory.

I've got a Sinar Pan Tilt head in my sights, but ideally I'd like to couple it to some very sturdy legs and some form of levelling head. Any ideas?
Ben