most durable tripod

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ben,

An 058 should do the trick but you'd have to get hold of the accessory levelling plate. The Manfrotto one isn't cheap but the Gitzo one will make your eyes water :shock:

With the 058 you'd have a centre column and also quick adjust legs where they lengthen / shorten by moving some lugs at the top of the tripod where the legs meet - it saves you having to reach down each individual leg with the potential of overbalancing the camera.

If you want a built-in levelling head, I guess some of the Gitzo range include it (I know they have levelling centre columns) and I'm sure there'd be one sturdy enough for the P2.

Other options are the Berlebach Uni range, models 6 to 26 as these have built in levelling. The 'lightest' one will support 30kg :shock: Mine is from the Report range and is supposed to be lighter but there may be one at the upper end that would do.

There's always Ries from the US - good but known to be heavy and expensive and there's probably others but this was a quick answer... :wink:

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'd never heard of Berlebach, the 26 or 26C looks like just the ticket! Thanks for the info, all I need to do now is get saving.
Ben

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

When I was last doing surveying (a while ago) the industry was moving over to composite/aluminium tripods at the high end. Some mid end tripods are still wood though..

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm open to any option - although a bright orange surveying tripod might not necessarily be my first choice :D
Ben

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

and unless they've changed, don't surveying tripods have some damn big metal spikes as feet - great for the roads / fields / building sites etc but somebody with a parquet floor might not be too impressed... :wink:

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

OK, I think I found the perfect tripod for my P2... A Slik Professional 4, it cost me £130 brand new from The Flash Center in Leeds, and is absolutely rock solid, it's pretty much identical to a series 4/5 gitzo.

I'm not sure why I got it so cheap as they have a list price of over £250 everywhere else I've looked. Anyhow, complete bargain - the 8x10 P2 sat on a sinar pan/tilt head is more or less immobile on this thing. The tripod has a geared collumn and full height of over 8 foot! (close to 9.5 for the GG height)
Ben

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

All you need now is a set of stepladders to see through the g/glass... :lol: :wink:

jollyroger

Post by jollyroger » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi, I use a manfrotto 075 tripod and have done for more than 20 years. It is a beast but I have used it for all formats up to and including 10 x 8 without any problems.

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

masch wrote:I usually carry a Manfrotto 055CL with a 410 head (aparently a typical combination...) I replaced the centre column with a short column for weight saving initially, but now have out a self levelling column on for convenience.
A self levelling column on an 055CL?

Do tell, what, where, how much? Never seen one of these, except on a Gitzo costing >£500.

Could be just what I'm looking for.

Aender

Post by Aender » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

DJ,

there is a levelling centre column for the Manfrotto 055 series. The part number is 555B.

Take a look here:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3209

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yeah, I saw that one on the site, it's far too long... I kind of prefer not having a centre column at all really, but if I must, then a short one.

I very much liked the Gitzo way of implementing the levelling head in the top section of the tripod ( and the fact it was sealed against dust ).

I'm wondering if the shorter MN500 Half Ball adapter could be used with an 055? That looks just about the right size, but it's not a triangular tube.

Clive Gray

Post by Clive Gray » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have a Slik Professional SP that I use with the various sinar's I have it was brought secondhand with the very substantial 3 way Slik head I get the feeling no one takes Slik seriously in the UK because I couldn't really find anyone listing it here, for 10X8 I use the Sinar clamping plate and two rail clamps for additional stability.

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've been playing with the various tripods in Warehouse Express's new showroom (quite fun btw), and my idea of using the video levelling centre column on my 055 just won't fly.

The Gitzo tripods are very nice, but too expensive. The 2540LVL was less stable than it's newer Manfrotto CF equivalent. Manfrotto have updated their CF model, and it looked a lot better than it was before.

I believe I saw some Slik tripods on show in there as well, I didn't look at them.

The tripod I really liked was a very expensive Gitzo Systematic one, with no centre column, nice thick legs, 3 section, no give in it at all. If I could get a levelling centre column in that, it would be ideal, but would likely cost >£700, which is just way OTT.

I adore the Gitzo leg GLock things, they're great, the levelling centre column is marvelous, but they all have a show stopper. The leg angle lock device is just *awful*, and just totally ruins the tripods. It looks flimsy, you have to try to wedge your fingers in and pull it out ( on a cold day with gloves... forget it ) Also, the available angles are not good, they go from normal level to thigh level to floor. The Manfrotto ones at least let you have a chest level in between.

Guess I'll have to stick with what I have :?

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Are the accessory levelling platforms any use as they fit a standard tripod between the column and head?

AFAIR Manfrotto, Linhof and Gitzo make them depending upon how deep your pockets are. There could be others.

There's also tripods with levelling built into them and you can get them with or without columns. Berlebach are certainly one manufacturer and maybe Ries.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:30 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

DJ wrote: I adore the Gitzo leg GLock things, they're great, the levelling centre column is marvelous, but they all have a show stopper. The leg angle lock device is just *awful*, and just totally ruins the tripods. It looks flimsy, you have to try to wedge your fingers in and pull it out ( on a cold day with gloves... forget it )
Mine is an older carbon Gitzo, it's been run over by my Merc Estate, no damage either! The G-Lock fittings are much better than my old-style fine threaded adjusters. However this and available angles have never really been an issue in several years of fairly extensive use. Tripod gymnastics is a wonderful sport in which to gain proficiency....

Initially, I too struggled with the leg angle adjustment. Then I discovered that a finger on the inside pushes the slider so out easily. Worth a second look.

Agree pricing of Gitzo is a deterrent, but they are very, very good.

Feisol might be worth a look. I've been impressed with website, but not seen real thing. Handling is essential as it is so personal to your parameters.
Baxter