Scanning

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
alangolding

Scanning

Post by alangolding » Mon May 05, 2008 12:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Some of you with long memories may recall that I posted details of my purchase of a drum scanner with the idea of making it available for others to use. First however it was necessary to get the thing up and running and to see what results were possible. Sadly the project has never overcome this first hurdle. The scanner is a Crosfield Magnascan 200i which i would date from about 1994 and was purchased from Pete Slynn of P.S. Electronic Services Ltd.

Most drum scanners of this vintage were large and although this is described as a bench model it is over 3 feet long and takes up most of my workshop bench. The software it runs on is an industry standard Celsis Aurora which I have been told will only run on Apple 0S 9.1 although this seems to be a mater of debate. However 0S 9.1 is what I have been using with SCSI card.

I did manage to make a couple of scans but had difficulty trying to transfer the results to my main computer because there was no USB connection and the disc burner would not function. I then changed over to a G4 Mac with a SCSI to USB adaptor but the software then kept coming up with error messages.

I have now decided that all this effort is not worth it. The recent purchase of an Epson V750 PRO has been producing very good results and so it is time for the drum scanner to go.

If anyone would like to have the drum scanner all they have to do is come and collect it. I do not want any money for it. Pete Slynn has suggested that if a SCSI card is fitted in the G4 rather than the adaptor the thing should work. Also it needs an adjustment on the main lens, all of which I am sure Pete could do. However I no longer have the will to go on with the project and I need my work bench back!

If anyone is interested in the drum scanner please let me know.

Alan Golding

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Mon May 05, 2008 1:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hope you don't mind me piggybacking your message Alan but I am just about to take to the dump a Power Mac 7500/100 (with native SCSI interface) and a Radius 21" CRT monitor both which date from the late 90's and should, with a bit more RAM, drive the Crossfield... again free to anyone who can collect it from my studio.

Paul