The cost of that elusive photograph

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

The cost of that elusive photograph

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well, we went out today, to a lovely place in the Yorkshire Dales known as Cowgill. There is a a limestone riverbed which, unlike our last visit when it was almiost dry, was now half covered in water. There is a a nice change in height in the river bed of about 3-4ft, I suppose you could call it a waterfall; and I decided to take a multiple short exposure shot instead of the usual cotton candy long exposure. Choosing my 72mm Super Angulon XL, I set about focusing and then moved on to adding a polarising filter to reduce reflections and sparkle from the (for once present) sun.

Now, the Lee system holder for the 72mm lens is a clamp on version due to the large diameter of the front element; if you need to rotate the filter, you have to loosen the clamping screw, rotate and retighten. Unfortunately, because the camera was pointing down at an angle approaching 45°, from under the darkcloth, I first felt the holder and glass filter slip from my grasp, heard it slide down the tripod leg and bounce a couple of times.

Of course, you've guessed the end result... somewhere in the depths of the plunge-pool at the bottom of the waterfall, there now resides something like £150-200 worth of Lee filter and holder.

Should anyone else be in the vicinity when the river is less full and should happen across these items, and they are still usable, gizaring :roll:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Paul.

Post by Paul. » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Oooooooo. I felt that, You must belong to the same if I didnot have bad luck, I'd have no luck club as I do. I think I would of sat and wept, bad enough if it had been a cokin set but to loose a LEE.
Looking on the bright side at least the lens stayed on the camera. Hope some kind soul is able to retrive it for you.

Regards Paul.

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Post by Lynne Evans » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Jo, what a bummer! I think Lee probably make more money out of us eejits that lose stuff than out of new purchases! I left a filter holder and 3 adapter rings somewhere on the Isle of Coll. Didn't discover them gone until I was on Tiree!

Lynne