Did Anyone see Joe Cornish Exhibition at Hoopers Gallery

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
scovell001

Did Anyone see Joe Cornish Exhibition at Hoopers Gallery

Post by scovell001 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi all,

Just thought I would put up a post to see who went along to see Joe's exhibition which ended this last weekend.

And, more importantly what did you all think of:

a) the images themsleves
b) the quality of Joe's images produced on his own Imacon 949
c) the quality of the printing

I popped along on Friday.

I thought that:

a) some of the images where really nice, some did nothing for me. I quite liked the very large print as you walked through the door, and another from the mountain summit (buchaille etive mor I think).

b) I thought the scans were pretty good. The shadow's looked a little bit dark.

c)the quality of the printing was excellent (not sure what the paper was). I thought some of the framing was a little bit hit and miss. Some images were written and signed on the mount. Some were written and signed on a white border on the image and on the mount. One of the frames had some black wood staining smudge marks

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:00 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yes, I went and had a look a couple of weeks ago. I have both of Joe's books so,to me, the images were more of the same. He showed a couple of them at his talk at Focus earlier this year too. Was nice to see some larger prints of his work though. Would like to have seen a few more printed a bit larger. The two BIG printes were very impressive. I'm sure I wouldn't pay £1600 for either of them though. Glad I took the detour from my normal commute to have a look as, like any exhibition, its does inspire you to spend more time peering at your own ground glass and seeing whats there!
Look forward to Joe's next book as I'm sure these images will make up a new book in the future.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

alangolding

Post by alangolding » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Went to see the exhibition on the 24th June. I was very impressed with the pictures. I Had seen some of his previous work in the National Trust Coastline exhibition which was in Greenwich about 2 years ago and I also have a couple of his books. He has a great eye for composition which is the thing that I seem to fall down on most of the time. I thought the quality of the scanning and printing was good and I agree that the larger prints, particularly the one facing the entrance door were very good. I took a friend with me who has little knowledge of landscape photography and she was very impressed. A worthwhile visit.

Julian Boulter

Post by Julian Boulter » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi all,

Thought you might like to know that the paper Joe used for the prints in this exhibition was Epson Traditional Photo Paper aka Exhibition Fibres in the US (actually this is the paper I had just started using with my new Epson 3800 and I can tell you the UK version of the profiles is very accurate)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/revi ... P_EFP.html

I found out about the paper as I purchased one of the prints today from Hoopers, the one of Ben Loyal. The prints are truly stunning and the impressive thing is that Joe printed these himself. I say stunning as I consider master print making as art in itself so Joe is obviously as passionate about the printing as he is about the taking.

Julian