Pyrocat HD and Albumen

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Bob Singleton

Pyrocat HD and Albumen

Post by Bob Singleton » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I posted a couple of months ago. At that time I was completing my degree show which ended up with about 40 5x4 shots being involved and about 20 prints made and I would like to thank those of you who visited the blog and commented.

I am now pushing on and planning to make albumen prints. I am thinking of cheating a bit because I like the idea of 1/2 plate as a format but can't afford the gear so I will be digitally enlarging the 5x4 to make the negs. Now I haven't done any of this before so it's a steep learning curve. I have started a new blog devoted to my experiments and would welcome any advice from those who have already trod the path.

Everyone else please feel free to visit and have a laugh at my expense. I am trying to record the entire process including the C*** ups so as to spare others the pain.
My blog recording my large format woes is at http://bobsingleton.blogspot.com/

vanman
Forum Hero

Pyrocat HD & Albumen

Post by vanman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Bob,
It might be of interest to you that over in the States Jason Russell (he's got a website) sells albumized paper that you sensitise yourself when you need it.
Best wishes,
Vanman.

Bob Singleton

Post by Bob Singleton » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks I'll look him up. However I have already whisked the eggs and bought the silver nitrate etc. The sensitising looks to be the tricky bit, getting the silver on without streaks etc. I will let you know what transpires.

Part of my fascination with this is the fact that you can choose the paper base and also control the surface finish by varying the water content. I'm running a side by side with gum bichromate, a process I have already had a little success with.

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As you increase the development times with Pyrocat HD and in fact any developer to get a higher contrast index for alternative printing processes you also need to adjust the EI, cutting the exposure slightly.

Ian

Bob Singleton

Post by Bob Singleton » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Ian

I have run some tests with the pyrocat and didnt get any really contrasty results. I am going to repeat with a higher concentration. The problem is probably that I usually dev for a long tonal range and tend to over expose by rating at 50% ISO the exact opposite of what I need!! but I am planning to make internegs because I intend to work at half plate and only have a 5x4 and the blad. To start with the negs will be made digitally so I will fix the contrast issues with a curve.

I've now coated the paper and posted details of the process on my blog. I've also put up some results of the pyrocat tests.

Bob Singleton

At last a print

Post by Bob Singleton » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I know its not much but I have finally got an image on paper so I have proved that my albumen process will work. Now I need practice to refine the system but its looking promising.

More details on my blog.