Vertex or Photobackpacker?

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Nat

Vertex or Photobackpacker?

Post by Nat » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I appreciate that this subject most probably has been covered before, but I am wandering if any members use either a Lowepro Vertex or a photobackpacker to carry their equipment in?

I am looking at carrying camera, 6 lenses and associated equipment that goes with a large format day out trekking. :?

Many thanks in advance.

Nat

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I use a Lowepro Photo Trekker AWII and normally carry my 5x4 & 3 lenses, XPan & 2 lenses, a digital compact, Quickload holder & film, my Lee filters, darkcloth, exposure meter and all the other odds and sods. Have carried all this up and down dale for many miles without any trouble. Has been out in thunderstorms, has been caught many a time floating away on a large wave, I've even had a dog pee on it and still looks the business!

monst

Post by monst » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

hiya

i got lucky with a DOMKE Armadillo 30 from warehouse express. 59 quid reduced from 200 quid. it is useable in an upright way leaning against your tripod. it has kind of draws that pull out so is very cool for my chamonix 4 lenses and all the res of the paraphenalia that lf requires. i like it as you don't have to lie it on it's back picking up all sorts of muck off the floor to deposit on your back!

cheers

john

Nat

Post by Nat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

John you were lucky to grab such a bargain, found pictures of the DOMKE Armadillo 30, but couldn’t find anywhere that stocked them.

Found the Lowepro Photo Trekker AWII on 7dayshop for a good price, so will order one this week. Did ask 7dayshop if they planned on stocking Fuji Velvia 50, but they have no intentions at the mo, shame really as they seem the cheapest for film.

Paul do you find this a heavy setup, considering the empty pack weights in at 8lb plus?

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:47 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nat wrote:Paul do you find this a heavy setup, considering the empty pack weights in at 8lb plus?
Nat, with all that equipment any bag is going to be heavy but the design of the Lowepro makes it easy to carry all that weight. I particularly like the way you can adjust the harness so it is carried high up on your back rather than drooping down near your bum. I also used to attach the tripod on the back but my 410 head used to whack me on the back of the head every time I stooped down.

Nat

Post by Nat » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Oh well “Steroids” it is!!!! :D

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nat have you looked at the Tamrac bags at all?
I use the Expedition 7 which is good for field can and 4 lenses (I only have 2 but I'm sure you could fit more in there). The next size up will probably be big enough for all your kit.

Chris Jameson

Post by Chris Jameson » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:58 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'll second Tamrac, I use an Expedition 8.

I have the 5x4, room for a couple of lenses, Mamiya C220 and second lens, light meter, about 4 DDS, Polaroid 545, quickload film, filters, and the little odds and sods like brushes, cloths etc.

It has a good secure tripod mount, plenty of adjustment on the straps and it's very comfortable on long walks.

I got mine from Fotosense for around £110:

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/tamrac-5588- ... -5578.html

Chris.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello All,
I haven't done any looking around, but maybe someone has the answer. Does anyone know of a bag where you can fit the tripod on the top? Having 2-3kg strapped to the outside of the bag makes me topple backward. Having it strapped to the top is more natural: the weight is closer to being above my centre of gravity in the absence of the bag. It is also supported by the pack and not requiring harnesses etc.
Another thing which would be useful, since people are talking about hiking, is for these bags to have a separate pouch where one can put wet waterproofs, leaking waterbottles, oozing sandwiches etc.
I look forward to your advice.
Charles

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:Another thing which would be useful, since people are talking about hiking, is for these bags to have a separate pouch where one can put wet waterproofs, leaking waterbottles, oozing sandwiches etc.
I look forward to your advice.
Charles
Charles, my Lowepro came with a handy daysack which attaches to the front of the main rucksack, I use this to keep my waterproofs, lunch, water bottle etc. seperate from my photo gear. It can also be detached and carried seperately.

Chris Jameson

Post by Chris Jameson » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:53 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles, I can't help you with the tripod dilema, but the Tamrac bags mentioned above have a whole range of items available to add, things like water bottle holders etc, that might be something along the lines of what you're looking for.
They attach to the outside of the bag and would keep any fluids away from the precious goodies inside the bag.

Chris.

Nat

Post by Nat » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles, I think you will be lucky to find such a rucksack, you could use utilities straps to strap the tripod to the top or alternatively sling it across your body to distribute the weight. If you see soldiers marching, that’s what they tend to do with rifles.

Mike I must admit I did overlook the Tamrac range. The trouble with all these bags, is finding a local stockist that holds them all, so you can do the touchy feely thing and possibly load them and try them for size and comfort.

Visiting London next Saturday, will have to persuade 'The Long Haired General’ (the girlfriend) to leave early and visit Calumet or the likes, so that I can check quality and size. I did have my heart on the Vertex, but cant find anyone using it for Large Format.

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles,

I strap my tripod to the side of my protrekker which works very well.. If you've organised your pack to distribute wieght to the opposite side of the tripod mount then you get a well balanced pack with the weight close to your back..

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)