2.5 month waiting list for Ebony 45SU

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Thingy
Forum Hero

2.5 month waiting list for Ebony 45SU

Post by Thingy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I put my order in this morning for my LF camera with Teamwork and learned that there is a 2.5 month wait.... obviously LF photography is taking off big time! :roll: With a bit of luck I'll get it just in time for Christmas :P More time to read Stroebel's excellent View Camera Technique (7th ed). I only wish optical theory in physics (or math lessons) when I was at school (many years ago :oops: ) had been as intellectually engaging!

I'm getting sooooo excited..... :D

Nat

Post by Nat » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Thingy,
I phoned Teamworks (last month) and they told me the same, they also told me Robert White supply direct to them. In the end I went direct to Robert White to get mine. It’s a great bit of kit, still playing and learning. Looked at the book on Amazon, quite costly, is it worth it for a beginner like myself?

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nat wrote:Hi Thingy,
I phoned Teamworks (last month) and they told me the same, they also told me Robert White supply direct to them. In the end I went direct to Robert White to get mine. It’s a great bit of kit, still playing and learning. Looked at the book on Amazon, quite costly, is it worth it for a beginner like myself?
Hi Nat

Thanks for your suggestion.

I've just spoken to Robert White who had just received my order from Teamwork. White appear to be the UK supplier for Ebony. It makes no difference to the time scale for this particular camera, who ever I order from it will be 2-2.5 months. Perhaps Joanna will take pity of us both and let us share her Ebony? ;) :twisted: As I've done a lot of research and carefully chosen this camera, I'm happy to wait. It was rather fortioutous that I rang Robert White though, as I mentioned the fact that I was wondering, later, whether to buy the Schneider 120/5.6 Makro Symmar HM or the cheaper Rodenstock 120/5.6 Macro Sironar. They told me they had a secondhand Schneider 120/5.6 Makro Symmar HM just in - for less than the price of the new Rodenstock.... so I snapped it up and am having it mounted in a top hat lens board. :D :D :P

You wondered if the book is worth getting. I think it is since it will save me a lot of time fiddling around now that I have a good theoretical knowledge of what I will be doing, and I would therefore expect that it would be of similar value to you. I bought the book as it was recommended on a number of LF photography sites as the book to read. I'm sure you could borrow it from your local public library first.

Steve

Gordon M

Post by Gordon M » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Stroebels book is detailed and comprehensive, but possibly so much so it risks maing the learning process a bit daunting. Its definitely one worth having at some point, but I found that the best introduction to LF technique was Jack Dykinga's Large Format Landscape Photography (esp. if you are into landscape..). Has a good mix of accessible technical guidance (i.e. 'do this and this happens', rather than starting with a physics lesson) and photographs illustrating effects. I dont think either book goes into asymetrical movements (as with 45SU), but these simplyfy focussing anyway, and ther's good advice on that on this forum.
Cheers
Gordon

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Gordon M wrote:Stroebels book is detailed and comprehensive, but possibly so much so it risks maing the learning process a bit daunting. Its definitely one worth having at some point, but I found that the best introduction to LF technique was Jack Dykinga's Large Format Landscape Photography (esp. if you are into landscape..). Has a good mix of accessible technical guidance (i.e. 'do this and this happens', rather than starting with a physics lesson) and photographs illustrating effects. I dont think either book goes into asymetrical movements (as with 45SU), but these simplyfy focussing anyway, and ther's good advice on that on this forum.
Cheers
Gordon
I must admit that as I have always found understanding science considerably easier than understanding football, I have enjoyed this part of Stroebel's book and have been oblivious to its impact on the non-scientifically minded. :oops:

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:30 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Another recommendation is Steve Simmons' book (can't remember the title offhand and I'm not at home to check) which is cheaper than Stroebel's book and easier to understand (though not as comprehensive). I can also thoroughly recommend Jack Dykinga's book, which also has the benefit of some absolutely stunning photographs.

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

joolsb wrote:Another recommendation is Steve Simmons' book (can't remember the title offhand and I'm not at home to check) which is cheaper than Stroebel's book and easier to understand (though not as comprehensive). I can also thoroughly recommend Jack Dykinga's book, which also has the benefit of some absolutely stunning photographs.
The Steve Simmons book is called 'Using the View Camera' and can highly recommend it. I also have Ansel Adams 'The Camera' which has come in very useful.

Paul

more photography

Post by more photography » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul Mitchell wrote:
joolsb wrote:Another recommendation is Steve Simmons' book (can't remember the title offhand and I'm not at home to check) which is cheaper than Stroebel's book and easier to understand (though not as comprehensive). I can also thoroughly recommend Jack Dykinga's book, which also has the benefit of some absolutely stunning photographs.
The Steve Simmons book is called 'Using the View Camera' and can highly recommend it. I also have Ansel Adams 'The Camera' which has come in very useful.

Paul
I second that, as an introductoty Stev's book is excellent

Keith Tapscott
Forum Hero

Post by Keith Tapscott » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I`ve got nothing against Ebony Cameras and acknowledge them as fine products, but I do wish that people would support the UK Large-Format Camera manufacturers more like Gandolfi and Walker Cameras.
Here`s Mike Walker`s latest product.

http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Keith. I think the "problem" with UK manufacturers is that those people who use these cameras simply don't comment/plug/rave/review the said cameras. Mike Walker does make excellent cameras but there is a distinct lack of "publicity" for them so people (probably) tend to overlook them when researching the purchase of a new camera.