Linhof Kardan Color 45S monorail

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Thingy
Forum Hero

Linhof Kardan Color 45S monorail

Post by Thingy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Whilst awaiting my Ebony (for which I cannot now be given a date when it will be supplied :( ) I am thinking of buying a secondhand Linhof Kardan 45S to practice learning technique with in the meantime, before the Ebony 45SU arrives.

I understand that this has a international back but I am not clear if I can use it with my existing range of lenses which are all mounted on Ebony lens boards. Can someone help?
Last edited by Thingy on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

du a gwyn

linhof color

Post by du a gwyn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

hello,i've got a linhof color for sale,it comes with a 150mm lens.it got everything as movement goes.there is the same example of e bay now for something like £1500 pounds.i want £400 for mine.it in great condition.you are more than welcome to view.
c.roberts

Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: linhof color

Post by Thingy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

du a gwyn wrote:hello,i've got a linhof color for sale,it comes with a 150mm lens.it got everything as movement goes.there is the same example of e bay now for something like £1500 pounds.i want £400 for mine.it in great condition.you are more than welcome to view.
Aaaaarrrgggh! :lol: I've just bought the Kardan 45s from ebay..... for £517 including p+p.... Apparently it will take my Ebony lens boards. Knowing my luck the Ebony will turn up next week! :oops:

Thanks for the kind offer anyway.

Steve

du a gwyn

linhof

Post by du a gwyn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

thanks for the reply Steve.Good luck to you with your new camera.
best regards to you and your family
c.roberts

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The camera arrived Friday and I can now answer some of the questions I put here, for future reference for anyone else interested in finding out this information in the future.

It takes Tecnika (and therefore Ebony) lens boards.

The widest angle lens it can accomodate (without bag bellows/recessed lens board) is a 120mm. It also takes my 300mm long and Schneider 120mm Macro lenses.

The bellows can be easily removed and replaced.

The GG is easy to change from landscape to portrait orientation and adding a rollfilm back is very straighforward.

It is a lot lighter than I had expected. I thought they all had thick steel, chrome plated, monorails but I'm pleased to report that the one I have bought must be a later model as the monorail is made of aluminium.

It is incredibly easy to use - aided by all the reading I've been doing for the past 6 months, whilst awaiting my Ebony, which I hope will arrive before June! The Linhof is too bulky for me to take to Spitsbergen! :lol:

I must admit that it took me some time to work out how to remove my Fuji PA-45 polaroid back from behind the GG.... :oops: I hadn't realised I had to tilt it before removing - having never used a polaroid back before. I have taken some of my first shots today in my back garden - three 4x5 polaroids and a QL on Velvia 100.

Below are three images of the camera.