Two good, two bad

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Peter B
Forum Hero

Two good, two bad

Post by Peter B » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi All

I haven't been around here much over the past couple of years, but I do visit without automatically logging in all the time, so I haven't been ignoring you all either! I've come to the conclusion that one of the reasons I haven't been doing LF recently is that I'm not getting the buzz when using my camera (don't ask!),so maybe it's time to change it. Problem is that I'm not in a position to play with any other cameras, so must rely on what others say about theirs.

I've searched the Forum without finding this type of question, so I'd now be grateful for anyone's 2 good/2 bad experiences, by which I mean the 2 best things about your current camera and the 2 worst bits about your previous one that made you want to change it. This will obviously include little things that can be infuriating, so feel free to let rip!

Many thanks, Peter

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:58 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Peter and welcome back!
I like your post - could be very useful. So I'll provide a start, even though I have experience of only camera, a Toyo 45A.
Pros:
(i) built like a tank but not overly heavy; survives life on the road in my back-pack (no mean feat); rigid when set up (no vibration)
(ii) a good set of movements for the price: tilt and swing on both standards, plus vertical shift on the front
Cons:
(i) no spirit levels
(ii) no dedicated lateral shift (have to use opposing swings)
I look forward to hearing the other reports. What's wrong with your own camera?
Regards,
Charles

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:52 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Charles, that was useful. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my present camera as such, it is just that it doesn't quite suit me, for whatever reason!

It's a bit like the Nikon/Canon debates you see elsewhere and I always thought they were meaningless trivia, until I changed from Nikon to Canon and found there was a different feel to the handling and use. Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Canon, but 2 years later I still don't find it intuitive to use compared to the Nikon. Maybe it's just me! :?

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:54 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ebony 45SU.

Good points:

1) Build quality
2) Asymmetric tilts

Bad points:

1) Locking knobs on other side of camera from focussing knobs. It's really irritating to have to change hands to lock everything off.
2) When replacing the bellows it's possible to think they are locked-in and light-tight when they're not. Wasted 10 sheets of QL before I had that one figured out. :(

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: Two good, two bad

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:10 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Peter B wrote:I haven't been around here much over the past couple of years, but I do visit without automatically logging in all the time
Tut, tut :roll:
Peter B wrote:I've come to the conclusion that one of the reasons I haven't been doing LF recently is that I'm not getting the buzz when using my camera (don't ask!),so maybe it's time to change it. Problem is that I'm not in a position to play with any other cameras, so must rely on what others say about theirs
Which is one very good reason to participate on these fora; and to join us on one of our workshops. Next one is in Maldon, Essex; I know it's a long way but quite a few "southern softies" made the trip to Glencoe :D
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna, it is one of my regrets that I didn't make it to the Glencoe bash, since there was also an ephotozine weekend at Rowardennan at the end of that week. To have had a week's LF immersion and take it in amongst the epz digi fiends would have been great, but alas it never happened.

Jools, since I've mentioned epz you'll possibly recall we had an exchange on there this past week when you were pondering the future of your "spare" camera, so I'll maybe get back to you over the next couple of weeks if you want to think more about it.

Thanks, Peter

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Anothyer vote for the Ebony 45SU :lol:

Good points:
Asymmetric movements - couldn't live without them!
Range of movements available - everything you'll ever need!
Interchangeable bellows
Bellows extension - from wide to long no problems!
Design of spirit levels - mirror box is a great boon when tripod extended high!
Smell :wink:

Bad points:
Current price :shock:

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for that Paul, but I think your 1 bad point may well be the deciding factor for me! :(

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ebony RSW45 (only LF I have owned)

Good points;
It looks great
Its lighter and quicker than most LF cameras

Bad points;
Occasionally (just occasionally) I wish it had a few more movement options.
It has a short bellows draw but I have found a 270mm lens that works so this is not a big deal.

And this is what JC said about it;
"By now you will have gathered that I didn't like this camera. I absolutely loved it. It is just as beautifully made as its costlier brethren, yet by reducing the specification to the bare necessities, Ebony has made a quality camera that is genuinely affordable. Its simplicity is also an advantage, reducing weight and helping to avoid the problems caused on more complex models when swing and cross movements get 'un-zeroed' by mistake and remain undetected. Simplicity also seems to result in superior rigidity. This is one of those rare objects which genuinely deserves the description 'less is more'. The fact is that if you are a landscape photographer, this is not just the cheapest Ebony you can buy, it may also be the best you'll find."
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nigels wrote:And this is what JC said about it
Sorry Nigel, you're going to have to clarify which JC you are talking about; I know of, at least, three, including myself and the Son of God and I know of no biblical miracle that involved wooden cameras :wink:

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sorry Joanna. I meant Joe Cornish of course. I would always refer to members of the UKLFPG by name.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nigels wrote:Sorry Joanna. I meant Joe Cornish of course. I would always refer to members of the UKLFPG by name.
That's OK, it just seemed that you were using the cryptogram for "the name that dare not be spoken", or at least uttered in hushed tones in LF circles :roll: :wink:

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

So that's 1 Toyo and 4 Ebonys(ies?) so far then. Interesting indeed.!

Chris Jameson

Post by Chris Jameson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Peter, how about something a little lower down the price scale.

Shen Hao TZ45IIA.

Good points:
- Fairly light
- Good range of movements
- Cheap as chips, but not in build quality, it's a well made bit of kit
- Uses Linhof lens panels and has an international back

Bad points:
- Base tilt
- Not too great with wide angle lenses

This is the only LF camera I've owned, and I've only tried one other, a Linhof TK45 which is a little heavier than the Shen, but is my 'money no object' camera.

Chris.

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have recently aquired a TK45 and so far am very happy with it.

Good Points:
Lots of movement, as good as any trad monorail I have owned/used.
packs well, very clever.
Covers a huge lens range.

Bad Points:
Heavy, close to 3kg, I shoot in the hills alot and it can be quite a burden with 4-5 lenses etc over 15+Km.
Expensive accesories, branded at least.

It was my "money no object" choice too, though I never thought I would own one. You gotta love *bay!!
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!