Two good, two bad

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Baxter

Post by Baxter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Gandolfi traditional 5x4

For:
Looks gorgeous
Fantastic craftsmanship

Against:
Slow to set up and no neutral indents
dark ground glass

Which is why I always use my Ebony 45SU where all of these points are positive and you gain the unfair advantage of asymmetric movements!

The Ebony RSW45 is a good camera which I used for 2 years again in preference to the Gandolfi and is far, far more affordable than the SU.
Baxter

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Shen Hao TZ45II-B

For -
Price (great way to get into LF)
Lots of movements

Against -
Base tilts (drives me mad when you lock it off and it still creeps enough to throw focus off!)
Would really like a fresnel in it.

All in all its a very good camera to start with but longer I use it the more I see its weaknesses.

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Baxter & Mike

I notice you are both based on the south coast and wonder if you went to Robert White to "play" with the cameras before making your decisions? I have Ffordes close by and see their website is showing an Ebony SW45 (1499) tonight, as well as a Toyo 45A11 (1099), a couple of Wistas and a new Shen Hao, but it isn't really the best place in the world for "playing" as there isn't much room and the guys are always busy.

Who said it would be easy? :)

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Peter B wrote:I notice you are both based on the south coast and wonder if you went to Robert White to "play" with the cameras before making your decisions?
Or, you could come to the Spring Workshop in Maldon, Essex, where you should find a few different types of camera which you would be able to try out.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Robert White are to blame!

I bought the RSW blind as it were from the first batch as my first 5x4 (having borrowed the Gandolfi from my father-in-law).

Then I went on the first L&L LF workshop and borrowed the SU having broken my RSW 10 days prior. It was like letting the handbrake off. The then extra £1000 for the asymmetric movements and extra bellows draw seemed excessive, but not in hindsight. I knew deep down that I'd always want the SW over the S. Choice was more limited then than today.

The SW is a lovely camera if you only want to use up to 150mm lenses. It has swing over the RSW which just has tilt & rise/fall.

I'd suggest given the chance to handle the cameras making an effort of booking a slot and going to see them. It's very much a personal choice and other's opinions aren't a substitute for your own feelings. Non-folding is fantastic.
Baxter

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote: Or, you could come to the Spring Workshop in Maldon, Essex, where you should find a few different types of camera which you would be able to try out.
I'm afraid I can't make that weekend Joanna as I've a prior appointment at my best friend's 60th birthday, and he wouldn't be happy if I missed it. :(

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

When I bought my Shen I just researched it on the tinterweb, alot of people were saying good things about them and at the time it matched my budget.
Its served me well but now I know that I'II be shooting LF till the end I decided on a upgrade as I wanted a more precise camera.

I too looked at the Ebony RSW/SW and I very nearly went for one BUT then I heard about Mike Walkers cameras through this forum and after speaking to Mike I decided to buy his 5x4 Titan XL, its capabilities and movements are very similar to the RSW/SW but its made out of ABS instead of wood. Its priced at £1015+vat, give Mike a ring hes a good bloke to speak to about all things LF not just his cameras. http://www.walkercameras.com/index.html

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Mike M wrote:I decided to buy his 5x4 Titan XL, its capabilities and movements are very similar to the RSW/SW but its made out of ABS instead of wood. Its priced at £1015+vat
And, what's more, he is giving us (members of UKLFPG) 10% discount at the moment.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Mike M wrote: I too looked at the Ebony RSW/SW and I very nearly went for one BUT then I heard about Mike Walkers cameras through this forum and after speaking to Mike I decided to buy his 5x4 Titan XL, its capabilities and movements are very similar to the RSW/SW but its made out of ABS instead of wood. Its priced at £1015+vat, give Mike a ring hes a good bloke to speak to about all things LF not just his cameras. http://www.walkercameras.com/index.html
Thanks Mike. I'm keeping half an eye on one of these on the auction site, but with lens, a couple of DDS and a cloth he is talking about 7.5kg for posting. That's quite a bit more than the 2.9kg Mike Walker quotes for the camera alone, which itself is about twice the weight of the SW45/RSW45.

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:20 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Peter, you may be looking at the Walker SF which is a folder. The XL Wide weighs the same as my Shen Hao which is 400g heavier than the Ebonys.
http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_4x5.html

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Mike M wrote:Hi Peter, you may be looking at the Walker SF which is a folder. The XL Wide weighs the same as my Shen Hao which is 400g heavier than the Ebonys.
http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_4x5.html
You're absolutely right Mike, it is indeed the SF that's on the auction site.

Many thanks, Peter

Sean Lewis
Forum Hero
Workshop Images: http://500px.com/Sean_Lewis

Post by Sean Lewis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Witsa Field DX (cherrywood)

For:
Very light
Good range of movements

Against:
Not the most robust of cameras, in a strong wind it looks like it's shivering
No spirit levels

A very useful and interesting post as I am looking at upgrading myself. I had a tinker with an Ebony S at the Linhof Studio in Essex last year and it was a beauty, light, non folding, center tilts and rear focus.... and it smelt reeal good. I've also been looking at the Walker SF for It's rigidity, center tilts and great bellows extension, I'm wondering if they are just a bit too heavy for long walks though. I'm hoping to decide before Mike Walker's offer runs out :?

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Chamonix 45N-1

For:
Very, very lightweight
Great range of movements
Reasonable amount of bellows extension
Price

Against:
Setting up the front standard can be a little tricky
Camera and accessories only available from China

Have just returned from a L&L LF workshop with David Ward and he seemed very impressed with the camera.

Paul

Sean Lewis
Forum Hero
Workshop Images: http://500px.com/Sean_Lewis

Post by Sean Lewis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Paul how are ya :) , I remember seeing your Chamonix last summer down on Dungeoness. Does it have rear focus, and where's the best place to order them from?

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Sean, I'm fine thanks, I still have to scan and post my Dungeness images, seems ages ago now.

Yes it does have rear focusing to a point. You have to unscrew the two large knobs on the base and slide the back standard backwards until you're 99% in focus, lock down the knobs and fine tune the focus with the main worm screw.

I piggybacked my friend Michel's order, he ordered them through Hugo Zhan on the www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

They have increased in price lately due to the currency exchange rate but still competitively priced. Their main website is at http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com

Paul