Two good, two bad

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Sean Lewis
Forum Hero
Workshop Images: http://500px.com/Sean_Lewis

Post by Sean Lewis » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Cheers Steve, I was thinking of sending some scans to some calendar/card companies. I've got a good printer so I suppose I could rustle up a few myself, if I get it together I'll let you know.

Sean

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The update tonight is that I phoned Ffordes at lunchtime to check, and was told that it "seems to be sold as it is on the counter with a lens and a couple of filmholders", so (genuine) best wishes to the new owner. If I had REALLY wanted it, I could have had it.

The potential trade-in was then given an airing and the beauty of a rigid body became glaringly obvious as I fiddled to unfold, adjust and lock my camera. I believe that is probably one decision made then, so I'll not be going for the Ebony 45RW that Peter Walnes is selling. The upside, however, was that I could fit the 300mm lens and I think I now have to work out if I can live with an Ebony or Walker that will only take up to a 150 or 180.

And if I'm missing any glaring bad points of a non-folding camera (apart from fewer movements), please feel free to tell me!

Peter :)

uniB

Post by uniB » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Peter,

Don't overlook the fact that with only 150ish bellows extension you won't realistically be able to do anything 1:1 as you need twice the bellow extension. I used to own a RSW45, a lovely camera but for me it's lack of extension meant it had to go in favour of a Chamonix 045N – a lovely camera which I'd only swap for a Ebony 45SU (if anyone out there wants to swap let me know :lol: )

I've no experience with the Walker but with the Ebony you can't easily use a 150mm with it as it doesn't allow for enough tilt.

I'd recommend the Chamonix to anyone, great movement, great price, light and solid. There is of course a Shen Hao copy of it now (those guys, you wouldn't want to sit next to them in an exam!), available from Robert White – the PTB 54. It doesn't look as well made as the Chamonix with it's wooden bed, but it is very cheap.
http://www.peaklandscapes.com
Large format landscape workshops in the Peak District:
http://www.largeformatworkshops.co.uk

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

uniB wrote:Hi Peter,

Don't overlook the fact that with only 150ish bellows extension you won't realistically be able to do anything 1:1 as you need twice the bellow extension. I used to own a RSW45, a lovely camera but for me it's lack of extension meant it had to go in favour of a Chamonix 045N – a lovely camera which I'd only swap for a Ebony 45SU (if anyone out there wants to swap let me know :lol: )

I've no experience with the Walker but with the Ebony you can't easily use a 150mm with it as it doesn't allow for enough tilt.

I'd recommend the Chamonix to anyone, great movement, great price, light and solid. There is of course a Shen Hao copy of it now (those guys, you wouldn't want to sit next to them in an exam!), available from Robert White – the PTB 54. It doesn't look as well made as the Chamonix with it's wooden bed, but it is very cheap.
I'll swap my Linhof Kardan monorail for your Ebony! :lol: Weights only 4.1Kg, full range of movements and you can use all your lenses in thie existing mounts! (This way I might get an Ebony this side of August! :idea: ) You just know it makes sense! :twisted: 8)
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

uniB wrote:I've no experience with the Walker but with the Ebony you can't easily use a 150mm with it as it doesn't allow for enough tilt.
I have the SW45 and never have any problems with not having enough tilt when using a 150. Remember that if you want to go longer you can always use the 452 extension back.

jb7

Post by jb7 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well this thread has turned into a bit of an Ebony love-in...
Also, the original proposition has been ignored somewhat-
So, just to bring it back on track a bit-

I've only owned two (and a half) big cameras-
My first was some kind of Cambo monorail, with huge antennae for standards-
I bought it because it was cheap, and came with a 150 Symmar-

The main two things I didn't like about that were
1. Its general ugliness
2. the size...

I quickly got an Arca Swiss F-Line, (171) and I still have it-
There's a lot to like about it, but if I were to choose two things-

1. Its modular design and construction-
I recently made an 8x10 back and bellows for it, for example, (American Black Walnut, for the wood lovers*)
and while it took a bit of work, it really was a pleasure to add onto the basic camera.
I also put a Packard behind the lens board for larger projection lenses,
and the camera takes them without complaint-
and they are quite heavy-

2. Although the newer Arcas are prettier (and smaller, and lighter) the 171 F-Line is still a good looking thing, and a pleasure to use.
Everything is where it needs to be, and using it is completely intuitive. It's strong too-

I suppose I sometimes look longingly at the Chamonix, and would appreciate the size and weight difference-
but until resources allow an additional camera, I think I'll be staying with the Arca...

I'll get me coat...

joseph

* btw, if anyone is interested in the 8x10 conversion, I posted it here-

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... hp?t=45345
bracketing is for wimps