Wide angle lenses

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Bip

Wide angle lenses

Post by Bip » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Would anyone like to tell me which is their favourite and least favourite wide angle lens that they have used, and why?
Bip Mistry. Photographer.

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hmmm....
"Least favourite": sort of:
Schneider Angulon 90/6.8;
Good points: Cheap, reasonably sharp if you have a good copy, and VERY small. Can stay on my Wista SP when closed up.
Bad Points: No movements to speak off... a few mm at best, which defeats the whole point of LF. :roll:

"Favourite":
Schneider SA 90/8 (from the early 50s, I believe)
Good: Crackingly Sharp, Good Movement Range, nice DoF
Bad: Heavy, A little dark for focussing.

You can't really go wrong with any of the modern WA lenses.
However, be aware that the rear elements of most WAs tend to be _massive_ :shock:
I know of one person here on the forum who has to disassemble his SA 90 XL, to get it into his beloved Ebony Woodbox :twisted:
This can throw people with certain older cameras as well...
The older lens designs tend to be a little more restricted with movements and sharpness. Not really a problem for most landscape work, but can be iffy for architecture... However, they can save you quite a bit of money, if you can live with the restrictions.
I still have my old A 90 to occasionally leave on the camera :)

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Aender

Post by Aender » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:34 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

My favourite wide angle focal length for 5x4 is the 90mm. Optically, I cannot see any difference between the 3 I have owned until now (and I don't think I will buy a fourth one). The Grandagon-N 90/6.8 and the SA 90/5.6 were excellent performers, but I finally got the Grandagon-N 90/4.5 in order to have the brightest possible image on the ground glass when shooting before or after sunrise.

On 6x9, I really liked the Apo-Grandagon 55/4.5, but for 5x4, it was too wide for my taste.

Today, my widest lens is a 65mm Grandagon-N, but it does not get as much use as the 90mm.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

masch wrote:Hmmm....
I know of one person here on the forum who has to disassemble his SA 90 XL, to get it into his beloved Ebony Woodbox :twisted:

Marc
The 120mm f8 Nikkor almost comes into this category. I can just fit the rear element through the front standard. I will certainly need bag bellow for any significant movements for architectural photography! :lol:

My favourite is my Nikkor 90mm f4.5. Although it is rather on the heavy side :roll: it is bright in low light (admittedly on the Maxwell screen).
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:20 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Favourite 90mm f6.8 Grandagon, vrey sharp excellent Multi-Coatin flare free even with the sun in the image circle.

2nd favourite 75mm f8 Super Angulon great little len with s superb performance

Least favourite 90mm f6.8 Angulon, but it is small and light no room for movements but excellent once stopped down, only used on a hand-held Crown Graphic.

Ian

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:39 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Least favourite - Schneider 72mm Super Angulon XL
It's a pain to get any movements without getting my non-bag bellows in the way, and I have to be careful to avoid vignetting when I need to use filters.

Favourite - Schneider 72mm Super Angulon XL
The most amazing hunk of glass, it simply looks stunning. It covers 4x5 with movements and appears to be completley distortion free and good and sharp.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure :lol:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony