basic error ? help please !

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Ross

basic error ? help please !

Post by Ross » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello. I would be grateful for some advice as I am new to large format photography. I recently purchased an Ebony SW45 and I am having difficult with a certain type of image.
In the following image I have the whole camera tilted forward at approx 10 degrees and in addition an amount of fall at the front. I use an Ebony wide angle fresnel. There is a small amount of front tilt. I have applied no movements at the back. This particular image was taken with a 150mm lens but still using the wide angle fresnel.
It is not due to light leak as other 2 other portrait images and 2 landscape images have turned out fine.
Under the dark cloth the image seemed fine but obviously the end result isn't - If anyone can shed some light on this - I would be very grateful.
The link to the image is www.rossbrownphotography.co.uk/photo_3737766.html

Patrick Dixon
Forum Hero

Post by Patrick Dixon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I know nothing about LF, but it looks like a light leak. Are you sure that that combination of movements is not exposing a leak in the bellows or at the top of the lens board?

You could try setting it up like that and checking for light leaks on the GG with the shutter closed, I guess you wouldn't necessarily see a leak with the shutter open.

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Were you using QuickLoad or a darkslide?

Ross

Post by Ross » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thank you for your replies.
I have just checked for light leaks in all camera positions and shone a torch all around and can find no light leak.
I was using quickload film.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

In that case, are you absolutely sure that the envelope was fully seated in the clip after you had removed it from the holder after exposure?
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:In that case, are you absolutely sure that the envelope was fully seated in the clip after you had removed it from the holder after exposure?
Which might be why the fogging gradates up the image.

Ross

Post by Ross » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think that I had pushed the film correctly in and out of the quickload holder.

My only other thought now is whether I had correctly fitted the quickload holder snugly into the back of the camera and whether there could have been a light leak at the bottom - between the quickload holder and camera back!

Thank you for your help.

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Can I ask whether the film has a black margin, or is the sheet fogged right to the edges?

If it has a margin, then you can suspect the holder not being seated, but I would also expect a slight shadow around the edge of the image where the holder "protected" the film from direct light.

If there is no margin, either you didn't seat the envelope in the clip, or the lab goofed :roll:

Ross

Post by Ross » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello

I've taken photographs of the transparency

1. left lower edge - www.rossbrownphotography.co.uk/photo_3740279.html
there is a 1mm light grey ?shadow along the base of the image - not present on any other transparencies.

2. left upper edge + top (dots are long the top of transparency). www.rossbrownphotography.co.uk/photo_3740301.html

3. overall - www.rossbrownphotography.co.uk/photo_3740302.html

does that help diagnose the problem ? (or not!)

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I can't be sure but this looks like the film was in the holder whilst it was being fogged. See the side edges nearest to the notch appear to be thinner than the rest, indicating that this is where the fogging was strongest.

I would say that, somehow, the holder was not correctly seated under the spring back, allowing the front of the bottom of the holder to become separated from the back of the camera.

Yet another "put it down to experience" moment :cry:

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:09 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

What I didn't realise until recently was that the supplied 'EXPOSED' stickers in every QL box were meant to wrap over the metal clip at the bottom to stop it from accidently detaching. Apparently labs prefer this as it absolves them from any blame if the film is fogged.

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:I can't be sure but this looks like the film was in the holder whilst it was being fogged. See the side edges nearest to the notch appear to be thinner than the rest, indicating that this is where the fogging was strongest.

I would say that, somehow, the holder was not correctly seated under the spring back, allowing the front of the bottom of the holder to become separated from the back of the camera.

Yet another "put it down to experience" moment :cry:
Yes, it looks like the quickload holder wasn't seated in the camera properly .. Very annoying.. However I do know of someone who went on a whole two week holiday to the states and returned to find out his quickload holder wasn't holding the film bottom when exposing. Lots of unexposed film and a memories only...

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)