Great weather

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
richard littlewood

Great weather

Post by richard littlewood » Sun May 24, 2009 5:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Right now outside it's a really georgeous day. The sun is out, it's warm. and very little breeze. Clear blue sky with some straggly thin cloud. Beautiful photography weather? I dont mind it at all apart from when I'm feeling lazy (like now!)

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Mon May 25, 2009 4:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Beautiful day. Lay in bed on Sunday till 1045 then rose and caught 1139 fast train to London. Spent three hours with Ebony in smaller rucksack (LowePro Nature) with new GT2541 tripod (much lighter!!! :P ) 6x12cm roll film holder and Fuji QL holder & new Light & Land Hood. My hood didn't need an assistant to hold it down this time (unlike at Maldon :oops: ) and the police didn't stop me photographing Parliament - which is a pleasant change :)

I got chatting with a couple of photography students on the walkway below St Thomas's Hospital who had learned about LF cameras but not actually seen one in the flesh, or should that be in the wood? ;) I told them about the UKLFPG and suggested they visit our website for more information about LF photography. I could have done with some group publicity stickers with our web address on!

Interestingly when I crossed the river and took some shots using my 58mm XL, a lens I have not actually used before, I kept getting foreign tourists asking me if I was shooting for a magazine or if I was a journalist. The latter amused me: a journalist lugging a LF camera outfit around??!! :lol:

I'm not sure how the images taken with the 58mm XL will come out, as I applied too much rise (5cm as against the maximum for portrait view, 7mm! :roll: ). Although the image was just visible* top and bottom on the screen, I suspect the corners will be missing. The 58mm was so dim I was forced to use my hood, whereas I was able to use my 90mm and 150mm lenses without a hood (with the Maxwell HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 screen)! It was much more comfortable given the outside temperature of 23C.

I can report that rise (albeit excessive in my case) with the Ebony bag bellows is substantially greater that when trying to use their "ordinary" universal bellows. With the ordinary bellows there is no movement possible with the 45SU and the 58mm XL whereas the bag belows offers considerable latitude, though I had to extend the bellows to make the rise adjustments and then re-focus. When I tested out the 120mm Nikon I had far greater movement using these bellows, as movement is limited with the universal hood by reason of the size of the rear compound lens - which is the same size as the front lens! I will bring the bag bellows along to the next workshop, if any one is interested in trying them out?

*Perhaps I need Maxwell's HI-LUX Extreme Wide Angle screen too...... :idea:
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue May 26, 2009 11:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:.....

I have had these nasty thoughts too...

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

Mike M

Re: Great weather

Post by Mike M » Tue May 26, 2009 2:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

richard littlewood wrote:Right now outside it's a really georgeous day. The sun is out, it's warm. and very little breeze. Clear blue sky with some straggly thin cloud. Beautiful photography weather? I dont mind it at all apart from when I'm feeling lazy (like now!)
As much as I like the sunny days I much prefer to take photos in the winter to be honest.
I do manage to get out and shoot in the summer but I've got a backlog of negs to print and a ton of other things to get on with in the darkroom to keep me busy. 8)

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Tue May 26, 2009 3:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:
Thingy wrote:.....

I have had these nasty thoughts too...

Tim
Looks like Bill will be getting a couple of new orders later this year...... Do you think he offers a discount to members of UKLFPG? ;)

Cue for Joanna to negotiate special deal..... 8) :twisted:

Steve

PS: I've just realised that this means I'll need to buy that spare Ebony focussing screen back to make life earier.... Image

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue May 26, 2009 10:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:
PS: I've just realised that this means I'll need to buy that spare Ebony focussing screen back to make life earier.... Image
Yeah I worked that out as well...

I'll have to buy a wider lens to make the most of it too! (I use an 80XL)

Expensive fresnel

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Looks like Bill will be getting a couple of new orders later this year......
Make that three. Those things are seriously tasty bits of kit.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Wed May 27, 2009 10:38 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have updated the thread 'Focusing Screen' which has information on some of Bill Maxwell's 4x5" focussing screens, prices & his contact details. I have asked Bill the price and other details of his Ultra Wide FS.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat May 30, 2009 12:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I didn't even know about the wide angle Ebony Fresnel until Mr Cornish mentioned it. He was kind enough to loan me his for a couple of weeks, it makes such a difference that I bought one. I've now had mine over 2 years and use it for the 80mm and 58mm lenses.

The darkening of the standard sceen is very apparent with the 80mm lens and even more so for the 58mm. Originally I thought that this was just something I needed to counteract with improving my skill set. Spending the extra cash has made life so much easier.

The back slots into the international fitting really easily. Despite it being a cheaper alternative, I couldn't contemplate trying to use a screwdriver and exchange only the Fresnel every time I wanted to use a wide lens.

I've not seen one of the Maxwell screens, but am intrigued by the positive accolades given in this thread.
Baxter

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Sat May 30, 2009 2:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Baxter wrote:I didn't even know about the wide angle Ebony Fresnel until Mr Cornish mentioned it. He was kind enough to loan me his for a couple of weeks, it makes such a difference that I bought one. I've now had mine over 2 years and use it for the 80mm and 58mm lenses.

The darkening of the standard sceen is very apparent with the 80mm lens and even more so for the 58mm. Originally I thought that this was just something I needed to counteract with improving my skill set. Spending the extra cash has made life so much easier.

The back slots into the international fitting really easily. Despite it being a cheaper alternative, I couldn't contemplate trying to use a screwdriver and exchange only the Fresnel every time I wanted to use a wide lens.

I've not seen one of the Maxwell screens, but am intrigued by the positive accolades given in this thread.
Hi Baxter,

I've used Joe's WA fresnel on the 80 too and it is a *lot* brighter than using the standard maxwell fresnel.. If I had the money I'd get a maxwell WA fresnel but I will probably end up skimping and getting the ebony WA as it does a splendid job with the 80 and I'm not likeley to use anything wider (it's as bright as my 240A Fujinon with my maxwell screen but not quite as bright as my 150 Sironar S)

Tim

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Sat May 30, 2009 7:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Baxter

If you come along to our next workshop/meeting & I am there, you are welcome to try out my Maxwell Hi-Lux screen which I replaced my Ebony screen with. I will need to get something brighter to use with my 58XL lens but the Maxwell is so bright when using my 90mm - 300mm lenses including the Schneider 120mm Makro HM that a hood is usually unnecessary!

Steve

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Sun May 31, 2009 11:58 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thingy wrote:Baxter

If you come along to our next workshop/meeting & I am there, you are welcome to try out my Maxwell Hi-Lux screen which I replaced my Ebony screen with. I will need to get something brighter to use with my 58XL lens but the Maxwell is so bright when using my 90mm - 300mm lenses including the Schneider 120mm Makro HM that a hood is usually unnecessary!

Steve
When is your next meetup?

Tim

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun May 31, 2009 12:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

timparkin wrote:When is your next meetup?
Although we only have two "official" workshops per year, one in the spring and one in the autumn, members are also free to post a notification of a get-together whenever they want.

Locally to you, it can be as soon as we can summon up the clan 8) As to the Maxwell screens, I have the "standard" screen and find that it copes very well, from 400mm right down to the 72mm SA XL. Not being too far from you, we would be only too glad for an opportunity to cross the Pennines again. Andrew Pell is even nearer to you and we often get together; get in touch and we'll see what we can arrange.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

jennym
Forum Hero

Post by jennym » Sun May 31, 2009 8:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have also had difficulty using my 80XL with the Ebony fresnel and thought it was just me, but it sounds as though others have also found it quite dark. I'd be interested to try the 80XL with an Ebony WA fresnel and a Maxwell screen and decide what would work best before I part with (yet) another load of dosh....

Are there people who are happy with the solution they have found when using their WA lenses? Is the 80XL particularly difficult or is it just the generic problem of WA lenses?

Jenny

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun May 31, 2009 8:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

jennym wrote: Is the 80XL particularly difficult or is it just the generic problem of WA lenses?
Hi Jenny, I was talking to Tim Parkin about this and he knows more about the 80XL, but I have the 72mm SA XL which works fine with either the Ebony WA or the Maxwell standard fresnel. The difference between the Ebony WA and the Maxwell is that you would have to change screens to use longer lenses with the Ebony, whereas the Maxwell works well with anything from 72mm up to 400mm. I'll let Tim explain the problem with the 80XL.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony