West Sussex

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Tim Meisburger

West Sussex

Post by Tim Meisburger » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:30 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I will be visit the UK in mid-March to attend a conference at Wilton Park in West Sussex, not too far from Brighton. Although I will not have much time for sight-seeing, I may have a little, and thought I would take along my 4x5. Any recommendations for places to visit round there?

Also, I will spend a day in London at another conference, quite near the British Museum. Any good shops around there for camera and darkroom stuff? I could stock up on some film and paper. Also, I am looking for parts for an old 6.5x9 folding plate camera (a 10.5 cm lens), and wonder if there is a good old camera shop.

Thanks for your advice! Tim

Aender

Re: West Sussex

Post by Aender » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:51 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Assuming that you will be by car, there are a few options. Between Seaford and Eastbourne, just a few miles east of Brighton, there are very nice chalk cliffs known as Seven Sisters. If you are interested in stunning geological formations, you may take the A259 and head to Chuckmere Haven or Birling Gap. There is also Beachy Head with its nice lighthouse (access via the B2103). All well worth a visit.
If you are interested in 2 PDF files of scanned articles from the Outdoor photography magazine about these locations, just send me your email address.

Sean Lewis
Forum Hero
Workshop Images: http://500px.com/Sean_Lewis

Re: West Sussex

Post by Sean Lewis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tim,

You also have the South Downs national park that runs from Beachy Head right across to Winchester. There are a good few places there including Dichling Beacon just north of Brighton, Chanctonbury Ring north of Worthing and close to where I live there is Lords Piece common and the Slindon Folly. The coast from Brighton to Bognor hasn't got to much to offer but past Bognor there is West Wittering which is a good spot for sand dunes and mud flats. Let me know if you need any further information on the area.

Kind regards,

Sean