Yorkshire Moors

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
RichardP

Yorkshire Moors

Post by RichardP » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello All,

I am going up to Yorkshire Moors in a couple of weeks time, hiring a camp van and stopping at Whitby first couple of nights to see if I can get on sunrise at Saltwick Bay, then there is Robin Hood’s Bay, The Abbey and a few other places, but is there any other secret places that you might know of, and willing to tell?

Richard

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Re: Yorkshire Moors

Post by dave_whatever » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There's a few pretty well known spots, like may beck, staithes, runswick bay, roseberry toping, sutton bank, the wainstones, scugdale crags etc etc.

RichardP

Post by RichardP » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Dave will look them up on my os map.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:15 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Richard,
You've got a pretty good introduction there. Cleveland is an amazing place with a good mix of wild moorland (go for a long walk pretty well anywhere as it's very self-repeating), pretty villages, (Runswick & Staithes, yes, but also inland as you travel up Eskdale from Leaholme to Castleton, or further west like Yarm or Swainby), high cliffs and empty strand (Skinningrove and Hummersea are unjustly overlooked), fields & pastures (behind Kettleness or around Hutton Rudby/Stokesley/ Great Ayton), urban areas (Middlesbrough & Stockton) and industry (Redcar to Middlesbrough). The people are generally friend if a little unrefined. The heather is out now so I am afraid you'll be missing that treat. Scugdale Crags are south-facing so best in winter if you want direct light at the ends of the day.
I hope that helps. Give me a pm if you want more directions.
Regards,
Charles