Isle of Mull

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Ian Johnson

Isle of Mull

Post by Ian Johnson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi All

I'm traveling to Mull next week and would appreciate any tips regarding useful locations on the island.

Many Thanks

Ian

Collas

Re: Isle of Mull

Post by Collas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Where are you going to be based? It's quite a large island and travelling around will always take longer than you think - there is only one short section of two-lane blacktop on the entire island. I was there in October 2010 for a film location gathering (I Know Where I'm Going), and I found so many locations that were worth looking at.

Tobermory

The lighthouse to the north of Tobermory

Loch Buie

Duart Castle

The road from Salen to Loch Beg (B8035)

Nick
Last edited by Collas on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Mull is great! Definitely worth a trip around the ross of mull, out towards Fionnphort. The entire headland especially around Kintra and Fidden is all white granite. Iona is also great and worth the boat across. There's also the boat to the undeniably cliched Fingals Cave - but still impressive and interesting none the less. Here are some shots from my last trip.

Ian Johnson

Post by Ian Johnson » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Collas and Dave

I'll be based in Bunessan, in the south of the island. I've seen pictures of Tobermory looks interesting. Dave like the look of Kintra (nice shots).

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated.

Ian

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I also stayed in bunessan, its a good base for that part of the island. We saw deer 50yrds from the cottage we were in, and saw golden eagles above. It was also quite windy so no midges!

The beaches immediately south of there are also worth an explore.

Emmanuel Bigler
Forum Hero

Post by Emmanuel Bigler » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello from France !
I visited Mull in July, exactly 20 years ago, and I have in mind two good stories that I'd like to share with the group.

The first story is related to midges, the best kept secret of Scotland when you never go camping or walking in the wilderness. Atfer having hard times with midges at various campsites, one day of heavy rain, my wife and me decided to take a break and looked for bed & breakfast accommodation. We found one, in the middle of nowhere, as expected for French tourists visiting remote places in Scotland. The B&B was vacant and we were most friendly welcome, but we discovered with fear that the owners left their front door open most of the times. No that we were afraid of burglars in the middle of nowhere, but we definitely did not want to be bitten by midges. This day we learned something we'll never forget; apparently the aerodynamic or energetic range of midges does not allow them to enter into homes, in places located several tens of meters from their "airport base". Amazing !
This day I understood why on my very first visit to Scotland in 1974, mostly motoring with very few walks, accommodation in youth hostels and no camping, I had never encountered midges !

The second story is related to the Staffa volcanic Island on the westernmost part of the island of Mull. Staffa is a small island where the Fingal cave is located. I do not want to comment about Fingal cave, a very well-known touristic place (not so easy to reach in bad weather conditions, and well protected by severe regulations) but I can tell you that Staffa is probably one the the few locations on Earth where you could make a close-up photography of puffins, full-frame with a large format camera :D