Old Man of Storr viewpoint

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Julian Elliott

Old Man of Storr viewpoint

Post by Julian Elliott » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Evening all

OK, another Skye question.

Another place I would like to do photograph is the Old Man of Storr at dawn. In order to get to some kind of classic viewpoint how long would you leave on getting there from the car park?

At the moment, I'm trying to put together some kind of plan for october and although I have been to Skye there are some places I have only seen from the road and so have no idea how long it would take to walk some of these places.

Thanks for any help, as always!!!

Jools

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Re: Old Man of Storr viewpoint

Post by dave_whatever » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I remember the walk up to the Storr as being a bit of a steep zig-zag trudge up through some woods - I'd allow a fair bit of time for it!

Rob Cole

Post by Rob Cole » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I would definitely advise you recce this location in daylight as the terrain is very jumbled and it would be easy to lose your way if tackling it blind in the pre dawn light (experience talking).

Rob

Julian Elliott

Post by Julian Elliott » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

OK, thanks for the replies.

I do intend to recce it beforehand as I do not want or need any mishaps!

Still looking for some kind of timing as I'm looking to stay near the Kyle of Lochalsh and then drive there in the morning. So I need to factor in drive time plus walking time.

Martin Jan Köhler
Forum Hero

Post by Martin Jan Köhler » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Julian,

You can calculate one hour if you're going up from the parking place to the top viewpoint north of the storr and you're really walking slowly with the LF rucksack and tripod crutch like I am ... perhaps only 30min if you've very sporty and have already walked it ...

In any case, don't forget to pack some headlight, it can get very dark in the wood,
although that might have changed because they did cut a lot of trees expecially near the road in 2012.

Best regards,
Martin

Julian Elliott

Post by Julian Elliott » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Martin

I was looking at your work on Flickr. That shot you have there of the Storr is what I would call one of those classic angles. When you gave timings, was it to that particular kind of area?

Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Post by Paul Arthur » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

In October I went to that viewpoint a couple of days in a row with a big pack. It was 55 minutes the first day and 45 minutes the second day, but that was pushing myself pretty hard - If I were to do it tomorrow, I would leave an hour. You follow the path up as far as you can go, and it sort of goes over a saddle and back down the other side. This is pretty much as far as you can go.

Dave Tolcher

Post by Dave Tolcher » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm with Paul and leave at least an hour - some recovery time needed before brain will engage if you yomp it up there ! Martin's viewpoint is the furthest you can go I would say, others photograph from the path before that which isn't quite as high or exposed if the weather is unkind or its especially windy.

Martin Jan Köhler
Forum Hero

Post by Martin Jan Köhler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Julian Elliott wrote:Martin
I was looking at your work on Flickr. That shot you have there of the Storr is what I would call one of those classic angles. When you gave timings, was it to that particular kind of area?
Yes, the timing is for that point.
Like Dave said, it's perhaps the farmost viewpoint, you go up, on the right side (north side) of the Old Man of Storr, and end up even higher than the Storr ...
The perspective then is looking south ...

Best regards,
Martin