North Cheshire area

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Neil54

North Cheshire area

Post by Neil54 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi all,

Soon as how Marc said that some people from my region had been in the Frodsham/Helsby area recently, I thought I would jot down a few of the places I have found worth while in the area, just in case anyone is brave enough to come near Runcorn again :lol:

First on the list are a couple of places near Northwich (which isn't far from Frodsham).

Lion salt works is a historic site where the remains of the works are preserved (after a fashion), there are some good opportunities here, especially in monochrome. If your lucky you might be able to persuade the atendant to open the buildings at the back, where all the origional gas fired salt pans are. There is also a reasonable pub across the road.

Just down the road from here is a small village called Great Budworth it is very picturesque, and has an olde worlde feel to it. The church/graveyard is especially worth a look. The village also contains a nice pub that serves decent food. :)

On the outskirts of Northwich itself are some interesting views of the industrial dereliction that surround the place, and just down the canal is the impressive Anderton Boat Lift which has been recently restored and can be seen working lifting barges from one level of the canal to the other. However it is not that easy to photograph successfully (for me anyway).

Returning to the Frodsham area, there is of course Frodsham Hill, although the view from the top is not exactly awe inspiring, with panoramic scences of the Ineos chemical works at Runcorn. However, there are some interesting walking routes along the River Weaver where it passes through Frodsham, although I was about eight the last time I walked down there, so not sure what it is like now.

Further to the north near Warrington, is the small town of Lymm, which is quite a pleasent place. The main area of photographic interest is the Lymm Dam area. It is a fairly large deciduous wooded area surrounding a lake, that can look very impressive in autmn, also in this area is a large outcrop of sandstone rock that has was carved into some very interesting abstract shapes in the ice age, and I have taken some successful shots of this in the past. The centre of Lymm also features a good cake shop and café, I think there is even a tea rooms, although I have to admit I have never sampled its delights myself :lol:

Well, that was a hopfully not too boring guide to a few of the places within easy driving distance of where I live that may have the potential to provide an interesing shot or two. If you are in the area thay may provide wothwhile stop for a couple of hours.

Regards
Neil.

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Neil,

I did a little work at Delamere a couple of years ago and thought then that there must be a lot of old industrial sites of photographic interest around North Cheshire. Would there be sufficient around the area for a small workshop some time in the future? What is access like to old salt workings?

Barry

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Barry, there are a few of us in the NW area who would love to be led to good locations. Just say the when and where and you will be surprised who will pop up 8)

Tom Green

N/West, locations

Post by Tom Green » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello All, Yes there is plenty of sites in this area, this is where we need to pool our info, for all of us to enjoy and share. There is an awakening building up now,where members are taking notice of activitys in this area so please contribute your knowledge of sites of interest and enjoy our area workshops, best wishes to all. Tom G. :D :D :D
:Inspiration and Vision make Great Photographs

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am sure there is loads around there, and would be interested in joining in the fun.
I did have a look at the Anderton boat lift a couple years ago and the main problem is that the lift is surrounded by high modern fencing. You can pay to get closer but then you don't really get much context (think front rise with the lens board directly above the film plane...). On the other side of the canal is a chemical works forbidding access to any views from that side. Time to rent a barge...? Also the car park at the boat lift + park demands money just for the privilege of a walk-about.
When we drove back from Woodchester, we took a scenic route to Ironbridge. Although quite a bit further south from where you're talking, there was obviously some good stuff to be had. We were impressed by Bridgnorth. There are quite a few red sandstone crags around there which would satisfy Velvia 100 users 8) . Ironbridge is a place I like. And further north going towards Market Drayton (Norton in Hales exactly), there are the remnants of a chambered cairn marked on the map as the Devil's ring and finger. Good fun but not worth a large detour.
And there's always Jodrell Bank.
Where's the best place to get a view over the works at Runcorn?
Thanks,
Charles

George Hart
Forum Hero

Post by George Hart » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:38 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Where's the best place to get a view over the works at Runcorn?
I'm not sure what you mean by "over the works", and in particular whether you want the works in the pic or not (!), but there is an excellent view from Runcorn Hill/Higher Runcorn over the whole of the estuary. A spectacular expanse of sky, crying out for your widest lens as the sun goes down on a late summer evening…

Neil54

Post by Neil54 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Barry, the lion salt works is only a small site, with no real parking provision. It does have a small visitor centre, but there is only really enough potential there for a short stay, you would probably have to combine it with other attractions in the area to make it a worthwhile day.

Charles, George is right about the view from Runcorn hill over the old ICI, now Ineos Chlor works. The hill is only 5 mins walk from my house, and there may be other interest there like sand stone formations. However I would advise being very cautious about going up there alone, especially on a summer sun set, as it is a regular hang out for some dubious characters. Another aspect could be investigated over the other side of the estuary at Hale where there is a light house on the point of land there, which is surrounded by fields of yellow oil seed at the right time of year.
Back in runcorn there is also Halton hill which has the ruins of the sand stone castle on it, there are some good views from the top, but not sure what they are like photographicaly, as the last time I was up there was years ago, and I wasn't really interested in photography then.
Hope this Helps.

Regards
Neil.

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There's some good access in Runcorn down by Weston Point http://tinyurl.com/23zxcl - I'll be off there one evening next week or the week after.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

We have just been down to Cheshire today for a reccie.

Anderton Boat Lift :
This is only open at the moment from Thursday through Sunday. I was given a contact name as there seems to be the same kind of problems taking pictures with tripods that the National Trust suffers from; only this time, it's British Waterways that is getting neurotic.

There are fairly limited places to take a picture of the whole lift from and, even getting there early on a weekend can get busy with plenty of public around. I am going to try and see if they will let us in before opening but the woman I spoke to today indicated that we would have to be chaperoned at all times :roll:

There is a cement works alongside the lift site, so I approached the owner about using their land but, due to health and safety and it being their busy season, that would only be a possibility towards the end of the year.

The only other possibility I am going to try is the ICI works over tha canal. I have a contact name and will follow that up. This could yield the better views if we are allowed.

Lion Salt Works:
This is a very small site, but could yield some very interesting industrial dereliction. Once again, I have a contact number and will try and arrange that we can get in the (very rickety) salt pan sheds that are normally closed to the public.

We went to Jodrell Bank a while ago and can only say that getting the whole dish in can be quite a challenge :lol:

I will report back as and when I know more.

Neil54

Post by Neil54 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim, Weston Point is where I live, if you want any advice about whats there and how to get to it, just ask.

Tom Green

Hale point ?

Post by Tom Green » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Neil, re-Hale Point and lighthouse area, One place to steer clear of, and two other persons where doing a bird survey some time ago,when we returned to the cars ,the BTO reps car was broken into and very expensive items where stolen, one area to give a miss, A notorious place :(
:Inspiration and Vision make Great Photographs

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the info everyone. It certainly looks like its worth a long weekend when I can find a moment.

Barry