Isle of Mull

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
masch
Founder

Isle of Mull

Post by masch » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi All,

A friend of mine suggested to me to visit Mull as a good photographic location. I can probably spare a week or so over late August, and was thinking of having a look up there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this front (I know that August is not the perfect time)? Has anyone been up there? How touristy does Mull become over August? Would it be better to wait until early September? Does anyone have suggestions regarding accommodation, good locations, etc? Any comments happily received... :)

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Marc, August is probably the worst time to come to Mull photo-wise, the sun gets very high,very quickly and can be very harsh throughout the day. The accom situation is pretty sketchy also with most places very over subscribed. September is a good time however, alittle quieter and better light. Location wise there is lots of variety from mountains and rivers to great coastal scenery,take your pick really. If you do decide to come up PM me when you know what you are doing and I can give you more detailed info, I could even show you around if you fancy some company!
I live on Mull bye the way, forgot to mention!!!!
regards
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:45 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Gari, I'm thinking of planning a weeks visit to Mull next year, and am considering either May, June or September. I'll be camping, probably at Fidden, although I might move on after a few days. I currently can pick any month of the year, when do you think there's the best chance for good weather and light? When I last visited Skye in May 2005 in rained for almost 6 out of 7 days, hopefully I'll be luckier.

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Steve, weather is a lottery this far north at anytime of year, at the moment it is looking like it may rain and it can't be much into double figures temp wise. I would be led more by the light really, May is great as is Sept, in June the sun gets high quite early, like 7:30/8:00.
As for camping at Fidden for 6-7 days I would suggest a couple of locations
with one being fairly central. Fidden is at the far end of the Island and getting anywhere else would be a long trip, alot of people are misled by how far it looks on a map, these are slow singletrack roads. There is so much to see a good plan of at least what you want to shoot(coast/shoreline,mountains or woodland etc) and then string some locations together would really help not waste any time when here. I would be more than happy to give you as much detail as you require as your plans progress and/or when you know what you are looking to shoot. The Island has lots of opportunities for studies or macro if it it overcast, in fact this time of year I only go out in the day with the camera if its cloudy!!!
I shall be going to the Glencoe w'shop so if you are there we can perhaps chat some about it then.
Gari

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Mull

Post by Lynne Evans » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi All,

I was on Mull last year for a couple of weeks in late May/early June when It rained a lot of the time! But having said that I still got some great shots,and loads which would have been good if I'd had more time to hang around. I'd strongly suggest booking a night on Iona as it is beautiful away from the touristy bits, and even those are good when you have them to yourself. Gari's right about the drive to Fidden, it was tortuous to say the least! the road went on and on (.......and on). I went in a camper van, and found plenty of places to tuck myself away around the island. Great shots at every turn. I hope I shall be returning in the not too distant future. I am now addicted to Scottish islands :D

Lynne

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I agree on a visit to Iona, There is a great Hostel on the North end, close to the Monks strand beach. Lynne is right too about the wildcamping thing, if you like the view just pull over and setup the tent/van and tripod in one fell swoop, as long as you are considerate as to where you park it is extremely rare to encounter any problems.
Gari

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Mull

Post by Lynne Evans » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Also early mornings are no problem if you're on the spot. I have been known to be out shooting in my nightclothes at 3:30 a.m. Then climb back into bed when I'm finished. Just as long as no-one's set up tent beside me!

And if you like islands you should try Coll. Wild and not at all touristy. All the Hebridean islands are brilliant in spring and summer for wild flowers on the machair.

Lynne

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:03 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Gari and Lynne, many thanks for your comments. I will be doing some more research and buying the 3 maps that cover Mull. At the moment I'm undecided upon May or September, but leaning towards May.

Gari, although I'd liked to have attended the Glencoe workshop and have attended all the others, I'm missing out on this one. I had very little holiday not booked, and it was too far to drive for the 2 days I had left this year. The Glencoe area is very nice, I had a glimpse of it last year when I broke my journey to Skye by pulling in on the edge of Ranoch Moor for the night, and followed the road down to Loch Etive in the morning to the old boat house and jetty.

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well Steve, if you need more info as you plans progress as I said you can post here or PM me, I would be more than glad to help in any way.
Gari