Westonbirt Arboretum

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Westonbirt Arboretum

Post by Lynne Evans » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just thought I'd let you know that today I paid a quick visit to Westonbirt (in the pouring rain :cry: ) to check on the autumn colour and there are several specimens that are already well coloured and will be dropping their leaves soon (especially Parrotia, Cercidiphyllum and some of the big maples to those of a horticultural bent). This is a good 3 or 4 weeks earlier than last year, so best to start making visits when you can fit them in. The entrance cost is an excruciating £7.50 per adult, but the gates aren't manned until around 9 a.m. especially on weekdays and the car parks are left open.

Well worth an early excursion.

Lynne

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It's years since I've been and I think it rained then but it was pre-LF days so could "snap away" a bit quicker :wink:

The acers are a good source for the autumn colours and I seem to remember there used to be single acers in front of other trees that hadn't turned so you got a contrast of the flaming red to the greens. There's been various pictures taken with the leaves on the ground around the trees as long as you get there before some pesky kid kicks them about... :roll: :wink:

Have a look out for the large sized pine cones (approx 8-10" long) They'd make great table-top subjects but the staff don't want them to go walkies...

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.