Gateshead

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Charles Twist
Founder

Gateshead

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dear All,
I have just spent the morning in Gateshead to photograph the brutalist car park and indoor market complex. It's a good bit of 1960's architecture and a bit of film history thanks to 'Get Carter'. The car park has been closed for a while but is opened specially this weekend before it is demolished later this year. If your thing is Victoriana, you won't like it. If you like concrete and experimentation, the triumph of hope over poor weather and poorer maintenance, this is your last chance before it goes the way of the Tricorn. I thought there was a good selection of pictures to be had.
Be advised that (i) access to the top floor restaurant is not possible, (ii) you have to wear hard hats (and they don't come with handy velcro for your dark cloths :cry: ) (iii) Gateshead council reserve the right to use your pictures for their own, non-commercial usage (not sure how this will be implemented :?: ) and (iv) that the doors to the top floors open at 10am but the queue starts forming at 9:30 and got quite long quite quickly (they only allow 40 people in at a time and there were a couple hundred folk there...) :roll: . You can park in the car park on the lower floors.
Charles