Brodsworth Hall near Doncaster

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Apple
Forum Hero

Brodsworth Hall near Doncaster

Post by Apple » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I went to Brodsworth Hall over the weekend with an MF club (as group leader I thought I'd better not take the LF gear :( )

There's quite a few things worth photographing if the weather is decent:-

The Hall itself is worth a go for the architecture lovers (rising front needed)

The sculptures around the grounds including statuettes and dogs guarding staircases (play with the planes of focus for this lot will keep you going a while...)

The gardens are stunning at the moment - formal layouts of a riot of colour beds with a fountain in the centre, vistas through covered walkways. The pictures on the site are older and don't show the improved modern bedding layout.

Sunken gardens with lead-in lines to get to mini temples on hills, grottos, stonework etc

All sorts of nooks and crannies where you could eek out a shot.

A country church that's open on Sunday afternoons,

A brass band concert outside the Hall,

Croquet played on the lawn

etc

You've got to get there for the gardens opening at 10am to get a head start as it gets busy later on and then you'll be waiting ages for the public to shift out of the way ;)

It's English Heritage so free to members (unfortunately not me) and no pictures inside the Hall :( )

I'm considering going back with the LF gear if I can get some time...

Andrew

Chong

Post by Chong » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Andrew,
I was there last summer, which seems long time ago. I did enjoy myself and I had some good close-up shots of some interesting plants that you could find around the garden. It is definitely worth a visit, especially at this time of the year.

Regards

Chong

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think a good day was had by the merrie band of Charles, Marc, Dad and I. The flowers are still out and it didn't seem as busy as last weekend - maybe because the weather was not supposed to be as good

Hopefully, there'll be some results at a later date... (note to self to get one's finger out... :wink: )

The rain forecasted for the day has just started coming down here at 7-30pm so we got away with it... 8)

Andrew

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:44 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have to second the comments above. Brodsworth Hall is worth going to for photography. There are some really nice nooks and crannies just asking to be photographed. THe formal bedded garden looks really good, although the best light seems to be in the afternoon, when the place is really busy. It is probably better to be there on a weekday. On a weekend, Andrew's suggestion of being there really early (on opening) is useful.

The countless statues are really worth having a go at. Very varied and lots of background.

Most importantly, the tearoom I would rate 3 out of 5 stars. :lol:

My pictures should be coming back tomorrow, so I hope I can get something posted soon.
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:58 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

masch wrote:Most importantly, the tearoom I would rate 3 out of 5 stars. :lol:
They must have thought that Christmas had come early with the amount we ploughed into the place. We were even fighting to throw them money as they were cashing up at the end... :lol:

I think I'll give the "with a hint of ginger" stuff a miss next time... :lol:

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:08 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

PS if you come out of Brodsworth Hall, turn left out of the gate and then left at the crossroads, 2 miles away is Hooton Pagnell -a quaint little village with a nice shot down the street from the viewpoint if you can get it without cars on. It's all stone buildings round there and looks great in evening light... There's also a church raised up on the roadside and an imposing entrance gate to the private local "lord of the manor's" place. Some more forgotten corners to explore but watch the traffic as the roads are tight / twisty between the houses and the local boy racers have been out when I've been there an odd time.

Andrew