Photoshop for Large Format Photography

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
PAUL O
Founder

Photoshop for Large Format Photography

Post by PAUL O » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've been chatting with Jo C (Carter NOT Cornish) and the topic of conversation generally tends to return to the problems faced by many of us who are "new" to digital technology-myself included :lol:

I, for one have been looking at enrolling on a workshop/course to try and fathom out Photoshop (I'm using CS2), scanning and printing. However, most courses I enquire about seem to revolve around an all-digital workflow and few cater for those of us shooting large format film and fewer still who want to scan and print our negatives in a "digital darkroom".

I've been greatly influenced and impressed by Jo's knowledge of digital workflow and large format photography and have witnessed at first hand the results of her scanning and printing a few of my 5x4 negatives - the results were far better than anything I made in the darkroom; and I consider myself an experienced wet-darkroom worker.

I have asked Jo if she would consider running a fee-paying workshop on "Digital darkroom" for LF photography - and she has tentatively agreed! Arrangements/dates/duration/location/costs are still undecided but would probably take place "somewhere in the Midlands" :D

I am interested in gauging the level of interest amongst those who frequent this forum in attending such a workshop? Imagine ... a workshop totally devoted to getting maximum quality and enjoyment from your LF photography, in (hopefully!) pleasant surroundings, with excellent company where the talk is 110% LF !!!!

So. is anyone interested?

RichardP

Post by RichardP » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yes I am interested.

Nat

Post by Nat » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sounds goods, interested, but depends on dates and cost.

Nat

Marizu
Forum Hero

Re: Photoshop for Large Format Photography

Post by Marizu » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sounds great depending upon dates and cost.
Are you thinking a full day, a half day, an evening?

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:38 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

To make it worthwhile for people travelling, we were going to do a full day. As to venue, that depends on who wants to come and from where.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Jo. How many participants do you need before this workshops is viable? I am really keen to get started :D
Are you able to offer date(s)/location/cost?

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi folks

At last, I am just awaiting confirmation of a venue but it will take place in the Birmingham area to make it as central as possible to those who have, so far, expressed an interest. Here's a bit more information on...

The workshop will be for a full day, probably on a Saturday, hopefully some time within the next month. The cost will be £150 per person and that will include, not just the tuition on Photoshop but, if you bring your monitor, I will profile it. I will also send those attending a file to print out on their favourite paper, so you can bring the print with you, which I will take them home and create a printer profile.

There will be a maximum of 5-6 people on the day; if demand is higher, I will arrange a second day.

Please let me know, if you are interested, as soon as possible so that I can best arrange a date to suit.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

john shiell

Post by john shiell » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:06 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Jo, I would also be interested in your workshop.Please let me know details .

John

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:15 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Me too!

Marizu
Forum Hero

Post by Marizu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I attended the PS for LF Photographers workshop this Saturday in Birmingham.
I'm pretty much a Photoshop novice. My DSLR pics might get a quick crop and exposure adjustment in ACR but that's about it.
I have always got better results wet printing my B&W negs than scanning them but I don't have access to a LF enlarger.

The day started with a nice cuppa before we got stuck in to scanning. Epson V700 was the weapon of choice and Joanna did a great job of explaining how to get a decent scan using the Epson software. We then looked at scan adjustments and editing using adjustment layers and selective masking amongst other things. Seeing the number of adjustments and masks that made up several of Joanna's images was a real eye opener to me. Particularly on images that looked so natural.

During the afternoon, we scanned and fettled our own film. Joanna and Helen were on hand to assist and direct our efforts. Further nuggets of information were dispensed as the day progressed.

An unexpected bonus to the day was the brain bending micro tilt focussing explanation. That had a couple of us scratching our heads for a good while.

I learned a lot from this workshop and had a good laugh.

See you all soon.
M