Future locations

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
Apple
Forum Hero

Future locations

Post by Apple » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I thought I'd better start something so people could chip in with suggestions for future 6-monthly meets:

Suggestions I've heard so far:-

Peak District
Yorkshire Dales
Scotland / Glencoe
Gower Peninsular
Lakes (done)
Northumberland (technically done but has lots of potential in decent weather)

Is it worth having a look at a map to see where most attendes are journeying from as to where might be a rough stab at a location?

Another way is to do like the RAC rally used to do and move round the country in regions over the years - the terrain changes and you'll potentially attract a different clientelle in the different areas.

I only made the trip that far south as I could tie it in with a visit to relatives - I doubt I'd attempt that distance for just a weekend unless I made it into some kind of holiday which could be awkward / expensive booking Weds to Weds etc...

Andrew

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The real issue concerning venues for future gatherings is that someone, somewhere will end up travelling a greater distance than others! It is worthwhile compiling a "map" of where we all live as this may lead to opportunities for local get-togethers on an ad hoc basis, however, the locations for the bi-annual "workshops" is really determined by which areas/locations people are keen to visit. I appreciate that its not much fun driving for several hours just for a weekend but as its only twice a year its not TOO bad? If we selected regions which were central to everyone then we are more than likely restricting ourselves to a part of the country that may not appeal to everyone - central England?
I think its probably a good idea to compile a list of areas that people are interested in visiting and then taking a vote - the area with the greatest number of votes is then chosen. The fact that I live in South Wales would not mean that I "voted" for locations close to home - the journey to the first gathering in Keswick took me over 8 hours of driving (non-stop!) and others a lot more still. I would vote for areas that would interest me personally be it Scotland, North Wales, Northumberland or the Kent coast. What do others feel? Should we vote and go with the majority?

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think we should consider areas that have a good number of spectacular locations that would make it worth while a possibly long drive for some. Another thing to consider is, is that location best at whatever date is chosen?

Top of my list would be the Peak District, followed by the Yorkshire Dales. They are also fairly centraly placed.

A vote is ok with me.

Guy

Post by Guy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:50 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The other factor to consider is best time of year for each of the locations, we shouldn't be too perscriptive if, for example the indications suggest that it is going to be a spectacular autumn (no I don't have a clue)...I am happy to go with anything - really don't mind driving and will be happy to give lifts where possible -makes it more eco friendly as well

If I was forced to then baring in mind that it's going to be autumn then I would advocate the Yorkshire Dales or the Cairngorms area - pleanty of heather / trees in their autumn finery.

If not there then Cornwall during the late summer. 8)

Charles Twist
Founder

locations

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:05 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It's a question of considering where the sun rises and sets too. The Dorset coast was mentioned a couple times for the April outing, but the sun rises and sets over the channel during the winter months only. Ditto the Gower, which I plan to visit in November. Coastal locations also need the tides to be at a decent position for sunrise and sunset. Can our MetOffice man give us access to tide tables round the year, ie 6 months ahead as opposed to the UKHO's standard one week??
The Cleveland coast where I am is very nice between May and August. There are a few woods too for autumn colours.
In autumn, you need woods. That reduces the risk of disappointment linked with bad weather and provides plenty of colour. Yorkshire Dales are a little thread-bare and good all year round. Robin Hood country anyone? Scotland gets my vote too. Don't the Trossachs and the Lomond area have plenty of deciduous trees?
When I head to Snowdonia and I want to be sure of securing specific shots, I visit two weekends in a row: it is very rare the weather is bad both weekends. I am hoping to organise a visit to the mountains for the last weekend of August AND the first weekend of September. More on that later, but let me know if you're interested.
Charles

marksetchell

Tide Calculator

Post by marksetchell » Sun May 21, 2006 10:01 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Not sure if you have seen these tide calculators. They cover a period of two years and cost around £8 each, each one covering around a third of the UK coastline. They are very simple to use and accurate. You look at the map on the front to find the colour of the stretch of coast that interests you and then look inside at a date chart to get a code. Then you rotate the dial to the right colour and date code and it tells you the tide times.

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/accessorie ... idemap.htm

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Mon May 29, 2006 11:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles et al.,

Try this page for a tide calculator which links to this file http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/Tidal_Calculator.zip

You can put in any date (within our lifetimes etc) and get info for up to 31 days at a time. It's nothing special in the way of flash graphics but you can get screen dumps of the tables and a tide graph. There's approx 180 places around the UK that have data but it's worldwide depending upon the options you select.

Hint, there's instructions in a text file but for a quickstart guide, unzip the file into a folder (e.g. "Tides") and create two subfolders, one "REFSTA" and the other "SUBSTA." Unzip the refsta.zip file into the former and move all the subreg files into the latter. The tides242A.exe file should then run. The first run through may be a bit clunky but you'll get the hang of it...

Andrew

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue May 30, 2006 11:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

That is so smooth. They really had these things sussed back in them DOS days. This thing predicts any date and runs off half a floppy: beat that Mr Gates! It seems to me we have gone backwards somewhere. That's the theme of this LF lark, I suppose. Anyway, I'll check it out against the UKHO figures to get an idea of accuracy and how it deals with time zones, but otherwise: simply prefect. What I always wanted.
Now merely a matter of working out how to save my Photoshop files on wax scrolls...
Thanks,
Charles
PS for those who want to try it: no need to create the subfolders any more. Just unzip into a folder of the type X:\Tides\ and go into Start - Run and type "X:\Tides\Tides242.exe -d" (don't omit the -d but omit the ""), where X is the hard disk of your choice. Double click Tide242A in the folder and you're off.