Scotland in October

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
Simon R

Scotland in October

Post by Simon R » Tue May 02, 2006 12:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi all,

Joanna has asked me to try and organise accomodation and locations for the October workshop in Scotland. She suggested somewhere around the Loch Lomond area. I have not looked into hotels etc yet as we need to decide on an approximate location first.
Having looked at some maps I thought the north end of Loch Lomond would be a good area to base ourselves. Crainlarich (junction of A82 and A85) is just over half an hour from Rannoch Moor and Loch Lomond itself. It is also very close to the West Highland Way with enough hills to keep Charles happy for a very long time.
Getting back to the subject of accomodation - Joanna said that she anticipates that there willl be around 25 people taking part (I'd like to reserve my place now, please!!) and that it would be a good idea to all stay in the same place. I don't know how hard it will be to find a place with 25 rooms (I assume that most people will want their own room). How does hostel accomodation sound?
Please let me know your thoughts on locations and what type of accomodation you prefer.

Cheers
Simon

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Tue May 02, 2006 6:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Simon. Has Joanna mentioned a date in October for this workshop?

Simon R

Post by Simon R » Tue May 02, 2006 8:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul. We did discuss possible dates - around the end of September / beginning of October would probably be the best time. As for the best time for autumn colour, I have no idea! Last year we hardly had any colour at all. So I'm open to suggestions as to the best time to visit!

As for the area I suggested we visit - I have never been there so cannot comment personally on the location. But being Scotland it's bound to be spectacular! And if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes - it'll change!

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue May 02, 2006 10:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

In Northumberland, colour was starting to change and that was the 15th of October. In Wales the strongest colour is around the end of the month/early November, I seem to recall. However one is taking chances with the weather by then.
Charles

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Tue May 02, 2006 11:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm not so much worried about the weather, as long there's decent tearooms in the area :)

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Wed May 03, 2006 6:46 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There is a youth hostel on the banks of Loch Lomond, but on opposite side from the A82, not ideal for travelling north. It has over seventy beds and details are here http://www.syha.org.uk/SYHA/Web/Site/Ho ... dennan.asp. It's run by David Watt, a keen photographer - but digital, uses a Nikon D70s. His own web site is here http://www.scot-pics.co.uk/. He does organise photographers meetups at the youth hostel for users of the EPZ forum.

Anything similar slightly further north?

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Fri May 05, 2006 1:47 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve

Loch Lomond looks god (on the map at least). And I think I like the idea of a youth hostel for everybody. Much easier to get everyone together for the evening. Food is also much easier to arrange (Who's turn is it to peel the potatoes :lol: ).

Seriously, with a decent area such as this, I think we can cater for everybody's taste WRT to landscapes, etc. There's even a distillery or two in the vicinity, where we might be able to arrange some interesting interior shots at. They tend to be reasonably OK with cameras on their sites, although I haven't tried 4x5s yet. Didn't bat an eyelid when I used my various MF stuff last time. Worth investigationg, methinks. And of course, there's the issue of testing their chemistry as well :shock:

Marc

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri May 05, 2006 6:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think the area is a long way for anyone south of Manchester-Leeds. I may be worth being flexible and seeing how many people can come that far. We may need to set a quorum on this one, ie a min number as well as a max number of participants...? For most folk it will be a matter of taking time off work. So give plenty of warning.
The area looks great though. No problems there. Looking at the map, it strikes me the best centre would be Aberfoyle, just E of Loch Lomond. Plenty of lakes, hills, forests and interesting buildings. I think it would be fool-hardy to try and include anything like Rannoch moor or Glencoe within the framework of a weekend. We're there to take pictures not drive up and down winding roads.
Charles

Colin C

Trossachs

Post by Colin C » Sat May 06, 2006 5:04 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Being Jockanese, I would suggest that Crainlarich / Tyndrum area is quite a hike North, for only a weekend, to anyone south of Manchester.

The area is blessed with almost everything (with perhaps the exception of salt water coastline, although it's not that far away).

The roads are good but if your looking at maps work on 35mph as a rule-of-thumb for calculating journeys in the area, and don't use 'as the crow flies' for route planning or you'll spend most of your time with a steering wheel in you hand instead of a thumbwheel.

Weather ? It's West Scotland ! You pays your money and takes your chance.
Season ? Autumn is usually well underway mid-month.

Enjoy,

Colin

Colin C

Travel to Scotland

Post by Colin C » Sat May 06, 2006 5:19 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I forgot to add a note about flying.

Glasgow (NOT Prestwick) airport is worth investigating if a few are travelling together. The ariport is well placed and flights are reasonably priced if you plan ahead (rarely Friday early evening and early Monday morning. Car hire (estate or MPV) between four is economical too.

I suppose its all down to assessing one's own available time and costs.

Colin

John Fontana

Post by John Fontana » Tue May 09, 2006 7:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If people think Scotland is a little too far for a weekend, what about the Yorkshire Dales. There are a number of bunk barns in the area. I have left a request on the telephone for availability for one that sleeps up to 24 people close to Bolton Abbey in Wharfedale. The website mentions the weekends of the 13th-15th October, and 20-22nd October. I have used this venue in the past for a cycling re-union, and it worked well. We even got Indian takeaways delivered from Skipton!
All of the dales are accessible from this point, and I'm sure folks know what to expect photographically from this area.
I will check on availability if others think it's a viable option of interest to the group. There are other bunk barns available in the Dales area if this one is not.
What do people think? I would be happy to make accommodation arrangements if the idea is attractive to people. Just an idea....
John Fontana

John Fontana

Post by John Fontana » Tue May 09, 2006 9:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Not trying to push this suggested venue over and above other ideas, but I have checked availability for the bunkbarn, and it is free the 2oth October, and possibly the 13th depending on a wedding confirmation.
If we are going to take up the option we need to book fairly quickly. I will ask Charles to circulate members, since I am not quite sure how!
John

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Wed May 10, 2006 2:27 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

John,

Yorkshire Dales sounds great to me. I went there with Jo and Helen last week and there are certainly some really nice pictures to be had. There's even some climbing available for Charles :)

Bunk House sounds fine to me. People who snore will be shot at dawn :lol:
Seriously, I have no problem with that. How does the rest of people feel about this option and an alternative to Scotland?

Marc

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed May 10, 2006 8:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi folks

Can I just try to set things straight. We have already done two workshops in easy reach of the Lancs/Yorks area; we have just been to Somerset to try and include folks from the south-west and it really would not be fair to make Simon and other folks from further north miss out yet again, due to distance from Scotland.

I will put my foot down with a firm hand and say that the next venue will be in Scotland, final destination to be decided, but on the edge of the Highlands.

On the subject of accomodation , I would certainly not be happy with hostels or bunk houses. It might be alright for those of you of the male persuasion, but for women, and for reasons like : self catering takes time out of the day, somebody has to do the shopping and cooking, etc.

I was thinking about the possibility of either : hiring a small hotel so that those who enjoy the local falling down water woiuld not have to drive after the evenings festivities, all the cooking, washing, etc is looked after and we should be able to use the dining room for our meetings.

If a suitable hotel should prove too difficult to arrange, then I would suggest that finding our own accomodation locally would be the best approach; it certainly seems to have worked for the past three workshops.

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Wed May 10, 2006 10:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Scotland is nice, but travelling there can be a nightmare. For instance, in May 2005 I left home in Bucks around 2.30 on a Friday afternoon. Due to accidents and trafic jams, and I used the M6 toll, I ended up reaching the edge of Ranoch Moor around 2.30 in the morning where I pulled over and slept in the car untill daybreak. With spending time driving down to Loch Etive, then stopping off at a few other places, it was early afternoon Saturday before I reached Portee on Skye. I think if you have a fair distance to drive, you need to be away for a week to make it worth while.

The Yorkshire Dales, either as a mid year or alternative to Scotland, is ideal. It's an easy drive from north or south, and is very photogenic. I visit it more now, since my sister moved to Gargrave, only 10 minutes drive from Malham Cove and Gordale Scar. Later this month I may be joining up with a group from the Amateur Photographer forum, on a 10 mile walk starting and finishing a Grassington. They intend starting at 9.30, I'll probably start 3 hours before them, then let them catch me up around half way, or I'll be dead if it's hot and sunny. I'll post some pictures in my gallery on the web showing what it's like.