Scotland in October

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu May 11, 2006 1:55 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve, and others, I realise the distances may be a problem for some travelling from the south to Scotland, but then these main workshops cannot really be just for those of us who have been before. Mini get-togethers that do not clash with dates, for those who want to or can get to both would be great for those folks who have met folkks from their are and enjoy each other's company.

Be generous, Simon hasn't been able to get to either of the last two meetings, it will be intersting to see just how many haggis eaters and close sassenach cousins respond when we announce the workshop.

Some of us who have been to most of the past workshops have already been getting together in small numbers at weekends; I really hope that folks like John and Steve will help out by arranging such meets in areas better known to themsalves. I know that I would love to come to the Yorkshire ones, but draw the line at sleeping in the same room as a bunch of snoring (though possibly attractive?) men.

John Fontana

Post by John Fontana » Thu May 11, 2006 9:08 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I will withdraw my suggestion for the Dales in a bunk barn, at least for this year, since Joanna seems keen on Scotland.
The bunk barn would be self catering (though as I said, evening meals can be brought in or we can adjourn to a local pub), but in this age I hope we can assume both sexes would muck in with food purchase or preparation, or just sort ourselves out individually. By the way, Joanna, women snore too!
With regard to the accommodation, there is no problem with mixed sexes in this particular bunk barn, since it has separate rooms, and it worked fine with a cycling group of couples, and individuals of both sexes that attended.
There are a few of these barns scattered in the Dales, some smaller, which could be considered later. It just seemed to me that this one coped with up to 25 people which seemed ideal for the projected numbers.
Perhaps reactions from members to the suggestion could be assessed at a future workshop.
John

Simon R

Post by Simon R » Thu May 11, 2006 11:29 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just to set the record straight - I did attend the Northumberland gathering, it was only the Somerset one that I missed. I didn't attend that one as it is an 8 hour drive for me. I do realise that Scotland is a long way to travel for many people, especially just for a weekend.

I have no objection to the Yorkshire Dales/Moors as a location - in fact it is a destination I have had in mind for a while.

As this group is spread out over the whole country we are never going to find one location to suit everybody, but keeping it around the middle/north of England would suit most people (me included!!). Having said that, Scotland is a fantastic location and is well worth a visit - given the distance, probably for longer than a weekend though.

Cheers, Simon

Quentin

Post by Quentin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I guess I have reached a stage in life where I am not prepared to engage in any kind of communal sleeping accomodation, bunk or otherwise - ever. It just does not appeal to me at all. Shared common parts, as in shared cottages, is another thing entirely 8)

Scotland could be good. Its a heck of a drive for me, so what I would do is mosey oin up via other parts.

Quentin

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'll register my requirement for two places on the workshop...

Most likely at the King's House Hotel but I want to ring them and check a few bits first.

Andrew

John Fontana

Glencoe workshop

Post by John Fontana » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,
Like others, I am having confirmation e-mails for the Glencoe workshop, returned.
Just wanted to register my intention to participate
John Fontana

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi folks, I would like to register an interest in the Autumn workshop also, has a venue been decided or is it still Scotland for now?
I am keen to get out with other LF users as being a relative newbie to LF I have never been out in the field with anyone else nor in fact seen another LF camera other than the ones I own and use!!!
regards
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:22 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Gari,
gari wrote:Hi folks, I would like to register an interest in the Autumn workshop also, has a venue been decided or is it still Scotland for now?
The next workshop is at Glencoe, in october. Jo and Pal are puting the paperwork together at the moment. I hope I can get things onto the website this week. Our web wizzard is in Iceland, scaring the glaciers at the moment, so we aren't the fastest on this :) Get in touch with Jo via a PM or wait a few more days until the notice goes up properly. That should answer things.
I think we are looking at a weeks run or so, (Sat - Fri?) at the "Kings House Hotel". Prices there seem reasonable.

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Quentin

Post by Quentin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm off to Egypt with my family for two weeks from 23 October (no, I won't be taking the LF camera :D ).

Quentin

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

...so no pictures of all three pyramids, line astern, in perfect focus?

Converging verticals on the temple columns? :shock: :)

Andrew

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have written to the workshop link a couple of times to register my wish to attend the Glencoe trip but have had no reply/confirmation so I shall leave a post here to that effect. I am keen to make sure I don't miss out for lack of contact as in the 15 months I have been shooting LF I have not seen another LF camera beyond what I own let alone spent time wasting film with another shooter!!! The chance to play with some like minded people is almost too much to bear......
OK, I have calmed down a bit now, the cold shower helped.javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Gari

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Gari

I received both your messages and have replied to you twice now and had no bounces, so assumed you had finally got one of the replies.

The address I have for you is garibeet (at) btinternet (dot) com

Is it possible that a spam filter is blocking my replies at your end ?

Please either reply here or (to avoid spam bots) drop me a line at :

joanna (at) <the address of my website>

...and let me have your phone number so that we can ensure you get all the information you need.

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Joanna, sent an email this morning. What on earth are spam bots?!
I have a mental image but I am not sure I should be sharing it here.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
regards
Gari

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Gari,

Spambots are robots that send you spam...

They are pieces of software / code that trawl the web for people's emails and then put you on spam mailing lists :cry:

As Joanna says, don't put your full email address on the web or it'll be picked up at some point and you never completely get out of the results unless you junk the address...

Andrew

AllWeathers

Aylesbury to Kingshouse journey....

Post by AllWeathers » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well I've gone and done it and booked myself in for the week! (Friday nicht to the following Thursday night)... :D I'm looking forward to being at the Kingshouse again as it will be two years since I've stayed there - great location.

Much as I'd prefer not to drive all that way in my Jeep (at £1/ltr using a 4Ltr engine to I could by a new lens for the round trip... OK perhaps a s/h lens... hmmm maybe a nice new one, er hmm, you get the point :D).

If anyone wishes to share & split some of the cost, please let me know. Alternatively I'm more than happy to share your vehicle and of course the costs... If it helps, my typical route to enter Scotland is M40/42/6/74.

Let me know if there is anyone wishing to share.

Peter :o :o
Always, ask, keep it simple & try again :o)