Glencoe Workshop

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sorry for not making it for the weekend, especially frustrating as you were only about an hour away!!!
I have had my car in the garage for several weeks and was promised that it would be ready, but the mechanics here are "laid back" to say the least.
There is a standing joke on the Island about "Mull standard time", short of it being I was transport-less(':evil:')

Looks like I missed a good weekend, the weather was a little challenging, in fact the ferry wasn't running on Thurs due to the wind, but that just makes the place look moody eh.
I see that you were even at Stalker. I was out with a friend again early this week in the same area, I have a fine Stalker sunset from Wed eve.

I would be keen for a trip out with anyone coming over again, some of the Scottish contingent maybe?
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Richard

workshops

Post by Richard » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:09 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I also want to say a big thank you to Joanna and Dave and to everyone for making me feel so welcome on my first workshop. I am also honing up my 'locate the resteraunt skills'. Special thanks to Willi & Debs for helping me haul all my gear to the room.
I have a feeling that me leaving a day earlier than planned did bring on the good weather. The light was superb all the way home. :?

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks to Jo for the organisation, and Dave for the excellent tour around the Harbour in Ballachulish. I'll shouw you the results from the besa when I get around scanning them. THey look quite good, given the conditions.
A good time was had by all, especially those who stayed on longer :)

Here is a humble effort, which is probably one of my better results from the week. The weather played havoc with my metering (at least that is the story I'm sticking with...:wink: ), so this may still need a little more work during the scan and some postprocessing...
There is more detail in the sky, but the mountains are a little too dark.

The location in Glen Etive is highly recommended.

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

masch wrote:The location in Glen Etive is highly recommended.
Given a) a team of Sherpas for the rucksack and tripod and b) a team of Sherpas for the photographer :wink:

It's a nice lot of light you got on the picture Marc - I missed it in colour but will see if anything come out in b&w...
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Apple wrote:Given a) a team of Sherpas for the rucksack and tripod and b) a team of Sherpas for the photographer :wink:
Well, it was about a 20 minute trip down the side of a valley, braving hidden trenches (which you fell into even though you knew where they are) and other hostile territory, trying to foil any attempts...:)
Seriously, it is a great location, but a little difficult to get to.

Marc

Ian Biggar

Post by Ian Biggar » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hope this gets through as I am not that computor literate.
Many thanks indeed to Joanna and Paul for organising the weekend - I'm sure others were involved so thanks to them as well.
It was a good experience - I enjoyed meeting all of you and look forward to repeating the experience. The film (all two shots worth - must up my output and stop looking for restaurants!) looks fine and if I can work how to I'll try to add them to the forum. Some good stuff emerging already from what I've seen. I'd love to go back (easier for me than some) but I could take 4 others up in the van and could pick people up in Carlisle if anyone was interested. (This applies only to those south of the border)
Simon and I went out the other day to a sandstone gorge near us ( same type as Arizona's Antelope Canyon) and made a couple of photos - this, along with Glencoe and another time we went out, now amounts to more shooting with the 4x5 than I have done in the last two years - for that I am immensely grateful and my thanks go to the group for the inspiration.
LF rules!!
BTW - does anyone know where I could find an underwater housing for a Linhof ??
Thanks again,

Ian
The Lone Linhoffer

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ian Biggar wrote: BTW - does anyone know where I could find an underwater housing for a Linhof ??
I think Krauss-Maffei still build submarines big enough.... :)

Marc

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

masch wrote:I think Krauss-Maffei still build submarines big enough.... :)
but just think of the extra ballast tanks needed to support the camera weight... :shock:

you could always build an ROV so you could drive it around in the wet stuff - a few extra stepper motors and you've got control over the movements etc... :wink:

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ian

An underwater housing? NOT for a Linhof but maybe for an Ebony :lol:

I whole-heartedly agree with your comments re: the workshop BUT I also value your restaurant-seeking skills too! A very pleasant Monday evening!

I'm hoping on a trip back to Scotland after Xmas so I'll give you a shout and hopefully arrange something?

Regards

Paul

Richard

Marc's Glen Etive

Post by Richard » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I like it, dark mountains and all. I missed out on this location so directions - including avoiding the trenches, valleys wrecked underwater housings - would be appreciated

Ian Biggar

Post by Ian Biggar » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul -
Yep - get in touch after Xmas and we could go do some winter photos.
Now - does anyone know where I can get a heated housing for me and the Linhof??
Ian
PS How do you get those emoticons into the replies?

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:11 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ian,

The easieast way is just to click on the emoticon (AKA smiley) as and when you want one in the typing e.g. :D

This seems to insert them after the last of your typing so is awkward putting them back in a reply without it going to the end and then cutting & pasting it to where you want it :(

The other way is to remember some of the "codes" behind them and type these as required in your reply, e,g,

: D = :D
: lol : = :lol:
: wink : = :wink:
etc.

(remove the spaces from the first bit to get them to work like in the second bit)

Still following this :?:

On the emoticons list to the left of the reply box, if you hover the mouse over one, you might see a thing like javascript:emoticon(': roll :') on your status bar - it's the : roll : bit you type in as above without the spaces...

Andrew :mrgreen:

P.S. A heated housing for you and the Linhof?

Either a) the hotel or b) the van if you venture outside :shock: :wink:

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Richard,

Marc and I were stood at:

56°35.863N 5°00.866W or OS grid ref NN 15035 49160

or near enough to a few feet :wink:

It's a small spit of land on the western bank of the lochan to the east of Creag-na-Caillich which is approx 95% of the way down Glen Etive. We were looking back up the valley towards Dalness.

The coordinates were taken from Memory Map but it won't let me easily paste a section of the map to show you (I guess they're a tad touchy about copyright...) As I took my pictures, I took a gps position reading but haven't had time to translate these back onto the map yet to check...

Same time, same place next year, rear tilt & f/32? :lol:

Andrew

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Marc,
I am glad to see you have at last eschewed the square for a normal format. It's a lovely picture.
I'll get the website sorted over the weekend hopefully so as to accommodate any Glencoe pictures that people want to share. I will also eliminate any photos from non-workshop goers, in accordance with the new policy. If you want to post a picture, send your pics to the webmaster address; make them jpegs with a size of 260ish by 340ish.
Charles

Tony Tang

Glen Coe Trip

Post by Tony Tang » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Every at the Glencoe Trip,
Thanks for a wonderful time . Great to meet up with lots of like minded
photographer.

Tony Tang from Ireland
Interested in visiting English Lake district. Scotland and any where exciting for photography