Workshop spring 2007

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
sandeha
Forum Hero

Post by sandeha » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There's plenty to shoot in South Wales - and far too wide a choice for just a day. The Gower is problematic (I live less than 20 miles away and hardly ever go down there) because of access ... in the summer it's horrendous for traffic queues, but even in winter the tiny roads can be choked with traffic at the weekends. Getting to and from a site can take up half your day.

On the other hand, Hereford and the Brecon Beacons, (and even Black Mountain and Carreg Cennen Castle) are accessible from the M5, and the Wye Valley has lots to offer from Tintern up to Hay on Wye. But ... depends what folks are after ... cathedrals and churches, ruins, old industry, wild empty landscapes, etc, etc - we got the lot here.

I'm waiting on some new focusing screens from SatinSnow before I go anywhere. Cheap and good, but oh, 12 weeks already !!

Aynsley Cooper

Post by Aynsley Cooper » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There's another forum (can I actually say that here?..., no, I know this is the ONLY forum really...so don't gang up on me) also looking at that area at a similar time...

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33305
Last edited by Aynsley Cooper on Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Kelham

Post by Richard Kelham » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve Bell wrote:Norfolk is a great area, we could all photograph the most photographed windmill at Cley-next-the-Sea! Cley has a tea room, Cookes of Cley, but I believe only open in the summer, but does a very nice B&B throughout the year. I've stayed there a few times. We also have a member in Cley.

Cookes currently open only at weekends, West Cottage is open all week but tiny.

North Norfolk can provide west, north and east facing beaches, though not much in the way of mountains! Mind you, anyone that says it's flat hasn't tried cycling.

This area has its share of ruins (self not included) and quaint churches, and even a few teashops, though the best one (Margaret's in Baconsthorpe) has closed.

Richard

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Aynsley Cooper wrote:There's another forum (can I actually say that here?..., no, I know this is the ONLY forum really...so don't gang up on me)
Nah, we don't mind..... We're "big" on matters like this. 8)
("Big", as in LF, gettit :roll: )

Seriously, w/o APUG, LF-Photo.info, photo.net, etc. this group would probably never have found together.

If you of course start going along the lines of "come to APUG it is millions of times better", I might get very cross and tell Lieutennant Gruber to drive his little tank through your cafe.... Hang on, I think I am mixing things up now...

Marc
(who looks a lot like a younger version of "The Colonel". More Hair, mainly)

[A 120 roll of Provia 400 for the first non Brit who recognises the references here] :wink:
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:50 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

masch wrote:Marc
(who looks a lot like a younger version of "The Colonel". More Hair, mainly)
Ah, Hair Schmidt I presume :wink:

Aynsley Cooper

Post by Aynsley Cooper » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

With a penchant for red wine, I may have to accept the Rene role, and, together with Le Resistance find a cunning plan to avoid the tank... :lol: but there will be none of this "APUG is better than..." business from me.

Tony Lovell

Post by Tony Lovell » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I notice the "APUG" members have chosen a location and booked the rooms...just a comment!

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tony Lovell wrote:I notice the "APUG" members have chosen a location and booked the rooms...just a comment!
OK Tony, we are going to be coming your way, in order to open up the group to folks in your corner of the country. Would you be so good as to inspire us as to where to go and what to see in the Anglian region ?

philldresser

Post by philldresser » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:06 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you are coming to Norfolk/Suffolk then count me in. I could probably make a couple of day trips and an evenings beers :)

Phill

Tony Lovell

Photography in the Anglia region

Post by Tony Lovell » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I should firstly say that taking photographs in the Anglia region will not compare with Glencoe where there are photographs to take at every turn. April is a good month to try as we usually get monumental skies to compensate for the empty landscapes!

As previously mentioned Cambridge itself has some excellent architecture, the river and punts can make for nice shots with teashops nearby! Ely is nearby; I’ve found Cathedral is not easy to shoot, in that there are limited good views. I think permission will be required in advance to take photographs inside.

On the coast Southwold and Aldeburgh are favourites with the locals with shingle beaches old fishing boats and the famous beach huts.

It’s will not give the same opportunities as Scotland, which may have something to do with the three trips I’ve made this year.

Apple
Forum Hero

Re: Photography in the Anglia region

Post by Apple » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tony Lovell wrote:I should firstly say that taking photographs in the Anglia region will not compare with Glencoe where there are photographs to take at every turn.
Maybe, but hopefully it won't throw it down solidly for nigh on four days as it did for us in Scotland :(
Tony Lovell wrote:As previously mentioned Cambridge itself has some excellent architecture, the river and punts can make for nice shots with teashops nearby! Ely is nearby; I’ve found Cathedral is not easy to shoot, in that there are limited good views. I think permission will be required in advance to take photographs inside.
I've been round King's College chapel with MF gear - not attempting to take a picture and have been closely watched whilst inside. When outside, I put the tripod down on the side of the path for a rest and was jumped on by one of the staff as they thought I might try a shot...

From what I remember of Ely, for the full length picture you either need a fairly wide angle lens and / or a lot of rising front... I think they had just imposed the fairly steep entrance fee so a few of us went for a wander round on the same ticket as I think you could get into the shop for free but needed the ticket for generally wandering round the cathedral - the good old Yorkshire traits showing through again :wink:
Tony Lovell wrote:On the coast Southwold and Aldeburgh are favourites with the locals with shingle beaches old fishing boats and the famous beach huts.
Aldeburgh is good for the pebble beaches and fishing boats - you can make it look bleak and desolate if you want as there can be miles of "nothing" in your frame! I can't remember the beach huts but we did see the modern building for the lifeboat station(?) - very symmetrical and would look good in colour...

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Quentin

Post by Quentin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As a resident of North Essex, I have to come to the defence of East Anglia to say that there are many locations for great photography. The Suffolk coast has already been mentioned. the big skies of Norfolk, villages like Thaxted and Lavenham, Cotswold country, cathedrals, etc, its endless!

My 8x10 is feeling underused, and it needs some exercise to get me away from all this digital shooting. I seem to have completely lost track of where we are in terms of workshops or meetings.

Cheers

Quentin

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:07 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As a follow on from discussions after the Woodchester Mansion outing I have looked at the Gower area as a possible alternative to the SE of England. The location is stunning BUT the biggest problem is finding accommodation that will be able to cater for the size/needs of the group. The choice of places to stay is limited to a few small hotels and guest houses - certainly nowhere big enough to lodge the usual numbers that attend and certainly nowhere with meeting room facilities. I will continue looking but at the moment it is not very promising. "Other" workshops that use the Gower appear to limit the number of participants to 6 - accommodation is probably a factor in this :?