Next official get-together: April16 & 17

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
Charles Twist
Founder

Re: Next official get-together: April16 & 17

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Tony,
Good on you! Would you like to take part in the exhibition in July? There's a large gallery in Saltburn, a room of which has been put aside to house an exhibition of Saltburn pictures taken with a Victorian lens or process by modern photographers - all part of celebrating Saltburn's 150th birthday.
For that matter, if anybody else would like to take part, you can just drop me a line to let me know.
I look forward to hearing from you. Best regards,
Charles

George Hart
Forum Hero

Post by George Hart » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles, sorry I am not able to make it. Hope you all have a good time.

George

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles,

That would depend entirely on wether I shoot anything worth showing....If so then yep I'd be up for that.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

On the Friday 15th of April, in the evening, there'll be an initial get-together at the fish and chip restaurant near the pier. The food is really top-notch and well-priced. The location on the sea-front is the heart of the photography action for many. I have the option of block-booking.
On the Saturday evening, I will book space at the local Italian restaurant. It's family-run, friendly, unpretentious with good food and quite cheap too. There's a room we can have for ourselves to have dinner, and then another room where we can retire for drinks and a natter. Hiring the extra room will set us back £30, so that should work out quite cheap if we muster decent numbers. There's enough room to bring gear along. With it being a Saturday night, they need to know by the 2nd of April how many people are going to turn up.
If you think that you can come to either restaurant or to the Saturday postprandial get together, could you let me know so I can make bookings?

I am not sure about meal times, but I guess they will have to be pretty similar to the rest of humanity, ie 7:30 till 9:30. The sun sets at 8:12. Now I know we have yet to see a proper sunset during a UKLFPG get-together, but would people prefer it if we booked meals for later on, say 8:45 onwards? Or maybe those people are happy just to meet up later for a drink? Thoughts?

Regards,
Charles

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have received an email from a new-comer to the group with the following key questions:
What will be the format? How many people do you expect to turn up? Will it be early mornings and sunsets, or talk and beer?
Put shortly, it's fairly open plan and caters for a lot of tastes, from waffle to hard-core photography.
The format is that people meet up on the Friday evening and get to know each other. It's a chance to talk about photography, the universe and everything in it. Feel free to bring prints and gear. There will also be a bit of organising the next day. Typically over the evening, we will plan an outing early the next morning - the sun gets up at 6 - and another later on after breakfast. During the day, people can go solo or as a group. Advice will be given on the best spots to find what you're hoping to photograph, with a summary of best times, access, etc. I won't have maps for everyone but I can point things out on my map :wink: . There won't be leaders or tuition as such, but people are more than welcome to follow someone in the know. The emphasis is on informal sharing of knowledge.
Numbers are usually around 20 but it's anybody's guess as people come and go.
For me, it will be early mornings and talk and beer. And maybe even the obligatory halt at the local tearoom with which Saltburn is well endowed. Sunsets and sat-down talk tend to happen at the same time, so it's a choice. I have all year to chase sunsets, but rare opportunities to talk with fellow LF'ers. I am sure there'll be opportunities to sit down with gear during the day if you want a hands-on chat about any problems you are facing. Would people like me to find a room for a few hours during the Saturday afternoon? It might cost £20-30 but could be worth it for some. Anyone?

If anyone has any questions, please just fire away.
Regards,
Charles

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:46 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'll be shooting throughout the day, grouped and individually, I've no interest in sunset or sunrise.
After shooting I'll be interested in food and decent real ale. Chat, whether it be photography or anything else I'm not bothered.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Here be the plan:
Friday evening, we're gathering at the Seaview restaurant for fish and chips. We'll meet in the restaurant at 6:45pm and will need to order quite promptly. Last orders are at 7:30pm and we'll need to vacate the premises by 8:30pm at which time the staff get twitchy. The restaurant is on the lower promenade, near the pier and the beach. There's a car park close by which is free from 6pm onwards. The restaurant is a little cramped so I wouldn't recommend startling the owners with that 24"x30" smart phone you use for your quick snaps. You're welcome to bring prints though. Numbers are ever fluctuating but it seems there'll be a dozen of us. After food, some may retire to bed, the others to the pub. We'll organise the next day before we split up.
Saturday evening, we're gathering at Alessi's for a friendly Italian meal. We'll meet in the restaurant at 7:20pm with the table booked in my name for 7:30pm. They'll have a corner put aside for us and we can stay there all evening if we want to. It's a bit less cramped so if you need to bring your kit bag, that shouldn't be too bad, but I wouldn't recommend everyone does that. Again, no issues with bringing prints - on the contrary. The restaurant is at 10 Dundas Street, Saltburn TS12 1AH. The parking on the streets around the restaurant is free (as per rest of town) but you might spend a bit of time looking for a spot. Saltburn is small and I recommend walking. Numbers seem to be steadying at 16 souls.

If you want my mobile phone number, drop me a pm.

Saltburn is a happening place: on the pier there's an exhibition of photos called 'Time and Tide'. All digital but almost merits the term LF for the scale of the stitching - a surprising amount of work considering it was put together 10 years ago. In the centre of town, there's a show at the Profile Gallery by LF'er Toby Smith. I'm going to the opening tomorrow so can't tell you any more.

Any questions, just pm me.
Regards,
Charles

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

We are already in Saltburn. Anyone wanting to contact us before Friday evening can call on my mobile number, which can be found on the "About us"" page of my website. Link through the globe icon on the left of this message.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Paul Morton

Post by Paul Morton » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed meeting people from the group this weekend, it was a throughly enjoyable couple of days. I was given loads of useful advice, most of which I understood! Hope to see you again soon.

Thanks for the warm welcome
Paul

TimH

Post by TimH » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles and all other LF'ers - Just to add my thanks to Charles (and Mrs T !) for a great weekend - good to meet up with so many fellow enthusiasts.

regards Tim.....
Digi-snapper now (finally) turned LF shooter hmm been doing this long enuff - Now LF photog !

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:59 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Paul and Tim,
I am glad you enjoyed yourselves, as did I. Mrs T has been duly praised for keeping the ship on its course despite my best efforts to the contrary!
Thanks a lot to everyone for coming and making it a success. I look forward to seeing some snaps.
Regards,
Charles

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:12 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

How many LF photographers does it take to produce one picture? Kinda reminds me of philosophers playing football...

The Toys 4 Boys award goes to the Wet Plate Crew:
Here: John Brewer (left) and Graham Vasey (right)

Plenty of kit and a whole new world for UKLFPG participants - my personal thanks to them for all their efforts and generosity.

The Gold Award (with extra glitzy bits) for fashion goes to Marizu who elegantly modelled a brave new concept in dark cloths:

Finally, the Alzheimer award goes to Joanna for returning home without her stash of film. Plenty of cheap film for sale in Middlesbrough, I hear.
I look forward to the next meeting.
Regards,
Charles

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Looks like a great get together, sorry I couldn't be there :(

Looking forward to seeing what such a long line of LFers was looking at though! Get processing! :wink:

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Here's the motley crowd - I can guess at the following but don't shoot me if I mess up the names or spellings...

(L - R)

Andrew, Charles, Laurene, Joanna, Rod, Josh, Tony B, Tony R, Steph, Helen, Marizu, Dave, & John.

We were missing Shirley and her friend for the pic. Also, Mrs T. (Naomi) isn't on so she was either keeping out of the way as a non-LFer or had disappeared. Nigel & Tim had made an early exit to head off 'darn sarf' before it got dark!

A great weekend and the best weather I've seen on a workshop to date. The Tearoom Appreciation Society met for all the best reasons rather than sheltering out of the rain, wind etc.

I didn't take too much as I ended up talking or doing something but at least I dragged out the LF for the sunset on Sunday even though I didn't quite catch the rock fall from the cliff.

Andrew

PS sorry about the pic being taken with the d****** body but I didn't have the LF with me then ;-)
Last edited by Apple on Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 3 times in total.
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Rod

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles,
Just a quick note to thank you, your wife and others who organised the get-together. It was the first time I had been able to attend a meeting. Not only did I find it very enjoyable, but it was also really good to see/hear how everyone else works. Thanks also to the wet-chemistry participants for lugging their equipment for everyone to see and for answering innumerable questions, from me in particular – Quickloads really do seem like cheating after seeing them at work!
Regards,
Rod.

PS Already posted a similar note earlier this evening, but it seemed to disappear?? Apologies if there’s now two.