Autumn Workshop - Scotland ... but where exactly?

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members

Autumn Workshop - Where in Scotland?

Poll ended at Wed May 24, 2006 12:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Glencoe/Rannoch Moor
75%
Aberfoyle/The Trossachs
25%
Island Option - Arran/Mull
No votes

Total votes: 4

PAUL O
Founder

Autumn Workshop - Scotland ... but where exactly?

Post by PAUL O » Sun May 21, 2006 12:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi to all.

We need to make a quick decision on our (Scottish) Autumn Workshop - pencilled in for the last week of October and running for 4 or 5 days.

However, Scotland is rather large and has a number of locations/areas on offer! We need a (quick) poll to get feedback on preferences as to where we are likely to be based for a workshop.

These are the options so far:

1. Glencoe/Rannoch Moor - popular area photographically speaking and although it has been done to death there is still much on offer mountains, lochs, moor, waterfalls. I have a good knowledge of the area. Based at the KingsHouse Hotel on Rannoch Moor. If this option was selected then it would be easiest if we all stayed/dined at the same place ... there are few other options locally-nearest village/accommodation is a 20 minute drive away. But individual choices of accommodation are (of course!)possible

2. Aberfoyle/The Trossachs/Loch Lomond - popular tourist area set in the heart of the Trossachs with easy access to local lochs, castles, forests etc. I've not visited this area but it looks "promising" from searches on Internet. Accommodation could be "group booked" or left to individuals to arrange as the area is closer to civilisation!

3. Any other offers! Suggestions such as Mull, Arran and some of the other Isles have been booted about! If you have particular knowledge of an area the now's the time to shout about it!

We need a general concensus as to preferred location ASAP so that group accommodation (if required)can be arranged.

Don't be shy - vote!!

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sun May 21, 2006 4:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

How soon do you want to know?
What are the tide times for the island option?
Charles

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun May 21, 2006 6:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I found a tide calculator on a climbing site, and they gave the following high tide times for Iona/Mull

21/10 - 05:12 & 17:30

22/10 - 05.42 & 17:54

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Mon May 29, 2006 12:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just a reminder about this posting! Time is creeping along and if people want a workshop in Scotland then it needs a great deal of planning re: accommodation, locations, etc. To date only 4 people have responded to the poll - a bit disappointing :(

The poll will be open for a few more days - until Wednesday this week then it will close and a decision will have to be made.

Get voting!

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Tue May 30, 2006 7:11 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I haven't voted as I won't be attending the Autumn meet up. As not everyone on the mailing list is registered on the forum, wouldn't it be worth while emailing all contacts?

John Fontana

Post by John Fontana » Tue May 30, 2006 10:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi, Paul.
I would go with the Rannoch option, if it's planned to go for 4-5 days.
John Fontana

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed May 31, 2006 8:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:I found a tide calculator on a climbing site, and they gave the following high tide times for Iona/Mull

21/10 - 05:12 & 17:30

22/10 - 05.42 & 17:54
Joanna,

Any link to the site or have a look at the following thread for another version?

viewtopic.php?t=11

Andrew

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Wed May 31, 2006 7:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi everyone. Well it looks as if the October Workshop is going to be based in the Glencoe/Rannoch Moor area. The provisional dates are from Saturday 28 October to Saturday 4 November 2006. Due to the fact that Glencoe is a fair old drive - 10 hours for me! It is probably best that the Workshop run over 4 or even 5 days. I will (hopefully) be in Glencoe for the week or at worst 5 days.

I will arrange for details/itinery/accommodation options and will post here on the forum, via the email list and also on Robert White's website.

We will need to get accommodation booked ASAP. Current choices include:

1. Group booking the Kings House Hotel, Rannoch Moor. The cost pppn (incl breakfast) is going to be in the region of £30. Meals can be purchased in the bar in the evening. I would need to know definite numbers within the next few weeks and would also require a deposit.

2. Booking guest house accommodation in nearby Ballachulish/Glencoe - this can be done by individuals and I have details of a number of excellent B&Bs in the area.

3. Group booking self-catering accommodation. There is plenty of choice in Glencoe Village and this would allow great flexibility. Meals could be purchased at the nearby Clachaig Inn or meals could be prepared in the accommodation.

4. You can sleep in your tent/van! Bit nippy but still an option!

This workshop has the potential for biggest logistical nightmare ever (for me anyway!!) so I would appreciate early replies etc :lol:

The area itself has been "done to death" photographically-speaking BUT it still holds a great deal of potential and there are plenty of areas that have been less frequented.

I will, of course, keep everyone updated as plans progress.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,

For the King's House Hotel, is this pppn rate based on individual nights rather than a "long stay" price?

Did somebody ssay that this was where the Light and Land courses stayed and got group discounts?

If we were coming up there (I'd like to) and I'll have to class it as a full holiday rather than an extended weekend tagged on to my other hols, we'd probably want a weeks stretch so are there other rates for half-board etc?

Andrew

gari
Forum Hero

workshop

Post by gari » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi guys, found this thread while checking out the site. I am interested in a workshop in Scotland and in fact live on Mull so if anyone wants info or some input with logistics if you come this way I would be more than happy to stump up, I would be keen to be involved with a workshop if it goes elsewhere in Scotland.
Nice to have a site for the UK, I love LF Forum but something closer to home is great eh?!
Gari

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Gari,

the easiest is to drop a line to Jo/Paul via the PM system.
They usually are the ones who organise these things.

Welcome to the board, BTW :)

The site was put together mainly in response top comments on a workshop about a year ago in the lake district. While we can't (and don't want to) compete with Tuan's site or Photo.net, it is handy for planning get togethers, etc.

Funnily enough, I was thinking of going up to Mull this Summer sometime...
A friend of mine suggested it as a nice shooting (camera, that is) location...

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

To the board or on board? Who are our bored directors?
Yes Marc, Mull is a fabulous place to visit, and reasonably accessible too. Most places where you can see Ardmeanach from is a good photo location, especially from Acharonich on a sunny evening when the clouds pile in on Ben More.
Charles