Scarborough/Whitby - for the Spring Workshop

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
PAUL O
Founder

Scarborough/Whitby - for the Spring Workshop

Post by PAUL O » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As time is pushing ever onwards and we are still searching for a suitable location for our "Spring" Weekend Workshop a decision needs to be made as to an area to visit. Several ideas have been thrown around and it has been decided that the Spring Gathering will be on the North Yorkshire Coast, weekend Friday 27th to Sunday 29th April 2007.

This location will (hopefully) offer a number of excellent locations both coastal and inland/moor.

Dave Parkin and Charles T have been scouting the area and it would appear that the Royal Hotel at Scarborough can accommodate many of us and also provide conference facilities (these proved VERY useful at Glencoe!)

At present there are in the region of 25 rooms available at the Hotel and rates are approximately £50 for a single room per night - obviously if people would rather they can book alternative/cheaper :lol: accommodation nearby and simply meet up at the Royal Hotel for evening/bad weather "events" :wink:

It would be very useful if people could pm either myself or Dave Parkin with their intention to attend the workshop and also for people to book their own accommodation - either at the Royal Hotel or elsewhere ASAP!

The telephone number for the hotel is 01723 364333. Make sure you mention that you are part of the group!

Regards Paul

alangolding

Post by alangolding » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just to let you know I have booked a room in the hotel for the weekend. Look forward to seeing you all and some good weather.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The hotel is rather splendid and I vouch that at least one us will not be going home without a shot of their grand staircase. I am not sure what Dave/Paul have booked for the "conference room" but the hotel can hire us a projector if we want one (?). They can also do an evening meal. Is the plan to demonstrate and eat in the same room. That certainly seems a sensible option.
Locally, there are interesting/pretty towns like Scarborough and Whitby, and the villages of the Cleveland coast are not that much further(Runswick, Staithes). There are famous beaches at Ravenscar/ Robin Hood's Bay and Saltwick, not to mention Filey which has some interesting cliffs on the Brigg. For great spectacle, Flamborough head has plenty to offer with spectacular chalk cliffs on the eastern tip and northern flank (Thornwick Bay). All the places between Whitby and Flamborough are less than half an hour from Scarborough. They are mostly morning locations, but I suspect that the evening has plenty to offer too. For a good representation of what the place looks like, you could do worse than visit Mark Denton's site: http://www.markdentonphotographic.co.uk/yorkshire.htm .
Inland, there are the moors, with the North York Moor Railway between Pickering and Goathland. Rievaulx Abbey is not far. And York itself is only an hour away and on the way for most people.
All we need now is little fluffy clouds. If not, there are plenty of tea-rooms all over the place for the die-softs.
I look forward to seeing you there.
Charles

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've booked the Friday and Saturday night, the tent can stay in the cupboard this time. I spent a few days near Whitby last year, its a great area we'll be going to.

Quentin

Post by Quentin » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just to really irritate the die-hards, I'll be bringing my Mamiya ZD 22mp digital camera as well as the 8x10, but I promise to use the 8x10...mainly 8)

Quentin

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am booked and really looking forward to it. Good choice!

Tony Lovell

Whitby

Post by Tony Lovell » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I don’t know whether you are aware, but this is the weekend of the Whitby Gothic festival. I had already arranged to go to Whitby for this weekend with a couple of photographers form Peterborough.
If any of you are interested in photographing interesting people in dramatic settings then you might consider going over. Type in “Whitby Gothic Weekend” in one of the search engines and have a look at some of the pictures.
We went in October last year when they have a similar weekend event. I shot large format in nearby locations in the early morning and evening and the costumes and people during the day with a Pentax 67 (unlike Dracula they do come out in the day, usually after 10.00am).

Regards
Tony

Dave Parkin

Re: Whitby

Post by Dave Parkin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tony Lovell wrote:I don’t know whether you are aware, but this is the weekend of the Whitby Gothic festival. If any of you are interested in photographing interesting people in dramatic settings then you might consider going over.
The gothic festival is a magnet for photographers, the costumes are something to behold and many of the wearers are happy to pose for a picture or two. Need to watch the contrast especially with all those dark colours.

So much to do so little time

Dave

John Fontana

Scarborough weekend

Post by John Fontana » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,
Just a note to let you know I have boooked a room at the Royal Hotel, Scarborough for the Large Format meet at the end of April. Actually I have booked a double room since my wife was quite keen to spend some time on the East coast, though not being a photographer herself, she will be doing her own thing during the day, and perhaps meeting up with others in the evening.
I have spent quite a lot of time on that coast, and one is really spoilt for choice. The Gothic weekend in Whitby sounds quite interesting too, though the lure of the landscape may prevail.
Look forward to seeing everyone then.
Cheers
John Fontana

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm in folks, as long as I can get my car sorted by then.

Barry

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hey!
I actually managed to get a Hotel booking in in time. Will the wonder never cease... :)

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

That's getting a tad efficient, Marc :wink:

We'll see you there...

On previous performance, I'll end up with the room up in the Gods, furthest from the entrance and up the most narrow flights of stairs (and it's not just at Kingshouse where it happened - there are many other times :( ) I must sound too young when I book so they assume fit / no baggage / loves running up stairs... :wink:

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I can't see any mention of a car park on their website. I forgot to ask, did anyone inquire?

Barry

alangolding

Post by alangolding » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There is no car park at the hotel but you can stop outside to unload. My confirmation of booking states that a reduced rate is available for a car park round the corner from the hotel. Details can be obtained from the hotel direct. Look forward to seeing you all.

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

alangolding wrote:There is no car park at the hotel but you can stop outside to unload. My confirmation of booking states that a reduced rate is available for a car park round the corner from the hotel. Details can be obtained from the hotel direct. Look forward to seeing you all.
Thanks Alan. At least someone who is thinking on his feet.

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/