Scarborough/Whitby - for the Spring Workshop

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Post by Lynne Evans » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am hoping to be up in the area that weekend too, so would be glad to be kept informed of any arrangements. Otherwise I shall just roam Scarborough looking for dodgy characters. It'd be helpful to have a couple of key mobile numbers if that's possible.

Lynne

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:27 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just for info - I've had my booking confirmation through the snail-mail for the Clifton Hotel. As mentioned before - ask for Michelle Wakefield if you ring the number on the Royal hotel's website - she seems to know about the mass migration but had trouble locating my transfer email so a quick call is definitely worth it to check...

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

alangolding

Post by alangolding » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have also spoken to Michelle Wakefield and she has confirmed my bookig has been changed to theClifton. There does not seem to be any problem.

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

My booking has also been transferred. Confirmation by email.

Barry

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

transferred my booking great deal joanna. see you all in a couple of weeks. is anyone else arriving on thursday.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm getting there Friday as I've got the day off work so will be having a leisurely wander up and I can stay the full weekend as I'm hopefully not having to come home early Sunday to shoot off down to Marlow for a course :lol:

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've been so busy at work I've finally transfered today to the Clifton. I've also added another night. I'll be there from Thursday night.

alangolding

Post by alangolding » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I am driving up over night on Thursday/Friday morning and hope to get some breakfast in the Hotel on Friday and met up with thoes who arrived Thursday.
Have just purchased a map of area and started to look for possible photo sites. Does anyone know of Hayburn Wyke which is a nature resurve a few miles up the coast from Scarborough? Anyone have any local knowledge or suggestions?

Alan

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Alan and others,
In an effort to inject a little organisation (cue gasps of wonder), here is some of the planning for the upcoming weekend.
As far as I can tell, most if not all people will be in Scarborough by Friday evening. Some will be arriving quite a bit earlier than that. Therefore I propose that we meet up at the Clifton hotel for a first get-together on the Friday evening. At that meeting, we can talk shop and introduce new folk. We can also take a look at maps to decide the best places for the Saturday.
Jo: do we have a booked room at the hotel or do we just commandeer the lounge? How soon can we move in on the Friday?
All: could anyone who has a map of the area, bring it along to facilitate logistics?
Locations: being on the east coast, the best shots will be in the morning. Sunrise will be at approx 5:30am; sunset approx 8:35pm. The weekend was chosen so the tides would be out at dawn and dusk. Not sure about the exact times just yet, but low tides will be approx 8am and 8:45pm. The coastal locations I recommend are from N to S: Whitby (piers mainly), Saltwick (Saltwick Nab and Black Nab), Ravenscar, Filey Brigg, Bempton cliffs and Flamborough Head. More than enough for a couple mornings. Some of those locations can even provide decent evening shots in the right weather conditions. Further up the coast Staithes and Runswick are pretty coastal villages that light up in the morning. "That" shot of Staithes is taken in the evening though. Locations for other times of the day: the villages of Pickering, Kirkbymoorside and Helmsley provide plenty of quaint corners. Rievaulx Abbey is also worth the detour. On the moors, Fylingdales is close by but requires the right weather as the moors are rather featureless by themselves. The North York Moors Railway runs from Pickering to Goathland. Further afield, Roseberry Topping is a much-photographed subject that will exercise your ability to be creative in the face of Joe Cornish's numerous piccies. All these places can be pinpointed on maps. Dave Parkins and myself will be there on Friday evening to provide guidance and hints.
The plan for the Saturday is to target a sunrise location, solo or as part of a group. Then the plan breaks down. The final decision depends very much on the weather. The options are to meet up for a natter and a meal, either at lunchtime or in the evening, depending on your photo habits/desires. People are free to do their own thing. If you want to shoot goths (those people like blood and gore, right?), go to Whitby. If you want a walk on the moors, we may be able to lend you a map. I think it's best for individuals to decide when and where they meet up with others. It's fairly safe to bet though, that there will be a crowd waiting in the Clifton in the evening on the Saturday.
Jo: could you post a full list of attendees so we all know who to expect?
If anybody has any comments or criticisms, speak freely.
Charles

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

For those wanting a trip to Whitby to shoot the Goths - be prepared for an early start to get a parking spot as their weekends get crowded. There's the largish pay & display car park behind the station (not the supermarket one) otherwise it's mainly street parking on the West Cliff or Tuckers Field (entrance from the crescent opposite the cliff lift.)

Secondly, unless you want the 199 step climb to St. Mary's on the old side, the car park is the one for the Abbey which levies a charge AFAIR.

I know someone who's done a few portraits of the Goths as quite a few are exhibitionists - might be interesting on sheet film unless you can hand hold and work quickly, keeping an eye on the gear etc. (not trying to get anyone paranoid but potentially a lot of people around with you under the dark cloth and a tempting bag of shiny bits...)

For those trying the beaches (Saltwick Nab etc) keep an eye on the tide times outside Charles' suggestions as it is possible to get cut off on some of them...

There could be one of the wooden ships in the harbour - a modern version of those similar to the ones in Cook's day. Isolating it from the current background could be a challenge as could be dropping a sky in behind the masts and rigging for all you PSers!

If it's 'inclement' weather and you're not in a tearoom, there's the Frank Meadow Sutcliffe Gallery on Flowergate. Whitby as it used to be and taken on a whole plate camera - some great atmospheric images.

Andrew
Last edited by Apple on Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:42 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I only have the Explorer OL27 map, this covers the coast from just above Staithes to Scarborough, nothing below it. My other Yorkshire maps are the 2 covering the Dales. I'll be bringing the OL27. I've visited Staithes, Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay before, but never been onto the beach other than at Robin Hood's Bay. Should be interesting.

Twice before while driving around I've come across a photogenic very old stone bridge, no longer in use, the pathway over it is just stones. It's probably around 10 miles from Whitby. You park by or under a railway bridge. Anyone know which road its on?

I may visit Whitby to photograph the Goth's Friday morning, but will probably use MF or the d*****l, I don't see LF being practical there.

Lets hope the weather remains good.

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Tides

Post by Tim Myers » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

FYI Whitby tide times can be found here:
http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0174

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve,

Do you mean Beggar's Bridge at Glaisdale?

Here's some background info on it and it's location...

http://www.nicholasrhea.co.uk/author/ar ... 00017.html

and

http://www.yorkmoors.com/ipages/EK0447.htm

There's more info if you google for it - I started out with 'Egton Bridge lovers' as that's what flagged up in my brain when you mentioned it.

Andrew

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew, yes, that's the bridge. Last summer it had more green vegitation around it than in the photo. I'll have to pay it a visit Thursday or Friday, the last time I found it the sun was in the wrong place.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

List of Attendees

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

OK folks, it woould seem that we will be about 20, providing everyone who hopes to turn up comes :shock:

Here is the list that I have :
  • Joanna Carter
    Helen Summers
    Alan Golding
    Charles Twist
    Steve Bell
    Quentin Bargate
    Paul Sanders
    Dave Parkin
    John Fontana
    Barry Wilkinson
    Marc Schmidt
    Andrew Pell
    David Pell
    Ian Biggar
    Simon Robinson
    Steve Hampson
    Nigel Sutton
    Tim Hodgson
    Lynne Evans
    Patrick Duggan
Could I please ask that everybody sends me an updated message to workshop (at) (the domain of this site), with their contact details, including a mobile number, so that we can let you know what is going on when you arrive. I will send you my mobile number by return.

I have put in the orders for Fuji and Ilford product; did anyone miss out ? If you are quick, I may be able to get something added, as long as it is by tomorrow (Tuesday) at the latest.
Last edited by Joanna Carter on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hiding email address from spammers
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony