Scarborough/Whitby - for the Spring Workshop

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:26 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yes, I'm thinking of you all gadding about Scarborough etc, somewhat envious as once again other commitments prevent me from attending. I hope you're all having fun though, and I look forward to seeing your images from the trip. :)

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

One of the advantages of a workshop on your doorstep is that you can come home for a nap after lunch. And check on the forum. Now just to make you feel better, I suggest you take a look at the weather forecast. Notice how the whole country is enjoying sunshine? Notice how the only cloud in Britain at the moment is hovering over the Yorkshire coast? I tell you: we are jinxed. Still the going is good and there is a great atmosphere in the tea room.
Hope to see you soon,
Charles

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles - I was beginning to think that I was the Jonah ... the bringer of bad weather in the group .... must be Jo and Helen :lol:

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

PAUL O wrote:Hi Charles - I was beginning to think that I was the Jonah ... the bringer of bad weather in the group .... must be Jo and Helen :lol:
You won't get us like that Owen, we've been framed!! :roll:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Aynsley Cooper

Wish I was there!

Post by Aynsley Cooper » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

All - I am disappoimted not to have been able to make this weekend, but I do hope that its all gone well.
I look forward to seeing some results, too.
Maybe the next one, or even a visit to meet a few of you on your weekend forays (as it were..)??
Later
Aynsley

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Another weekend over - great company as usual.

Downsides - the comedy of errors that are English Rose Hotels and the smoke-free atmosphere - NOT - roll on 1st July...

The weather was up (or rather down) to usual LF standards. Grey virtually all weekend and no real sun showing through.

The TAS has a new venue on the list - The Wits End Cafe at Sandsend. I was even over-faced with the 'light' salad :shock: and we may be able to convert the owner to LF from d******l.

Called at Sledmere House on the way home and finally got the blue skies and white cloud (not fluffy but a start.) Took quite a few sheets of B&W and colour and had my picture taken for posterity inside and outside the darkcloth by a particularly aristocratic-sounding couple who couldn't believe that people still took pictures like this. She had a look under the darkcloth and was amazed - I just happened to point out that the d*****l compact she was holding was smaller than the size of my sheet of film...
She also mentioned that she'd been in Scarborough for Saturday afternoon and it was sunny - are there that many Scarborough's round the area? :wink:

Can recommend the pub outside the grounds - a top notch roast beef Sunday lunch.

Unfortunately, taking the piccies in the grounds of the house (they'd no problem with it BTW but none allowed inside - fairy snuff), we never got into the house even though they said they'd look after the gear for us while we went on the tour round - might be worth a trip back at some time.

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

SteveH
Forum Hero

Post by SteveH » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:38 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Many thanks to all put time in to organise the weekend - much appreciated and enjoyed. Shame that the weather was not quite up to our aspirations, but at least it did not rain or blow a gale.

Stopped off at Spurn Head on the way back - weather was just coming right when I had to leave (ran out of time) but got a couple of shots of the old lighthouse - for £3 you can drive right down to the end of the peninsular. Much promise for another day - lighthouses, grasses, beaches, ships out to sea, rocks, pier , pilot vessels...worth a visit.

Tried Humber Bridge but weather grotty so no luck there.

Where next???

Steve
Big is beautiful.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello All,
There goes another workshop, there goes our tea-room budget, there goes the bad weather for another 6 months. Next meeting I believe is planned to happen somewhere in the SE, probably around Essex-Suffolk.
In the meanwhile, can I ask those who managed to get out of the tea-room this weekend, to send me whatever pics you have to webmaster at lf-photo dot org dot uk, so I can augment the website. This helps a lot with sponsorship. Thanks.
In the meanwhile, here is a pic of Bempton cliffs with Thornwick Bay in the foreground:
Any comments welcome - I know I have a lot to learn with this mono stuff. (You'll notice Ian that I have omitted the monogram, specially for you.)
I look forward to hearing from you,
Charles

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Tue May 01, 2007 10:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

just a note to say thank you for sorting out the last workshop. I had a great time and look forward(with some trepidation) to my results in colour. interesting hotel with a nice touch of fawlty towers.

thanks again

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue May 01, 2007 11:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul, did you get out for the sunrise on the Sunday or did you just crash out in bed as you weren't seen at breakfast and we were there for the full hour and a half?

Or did you make an early start to get back to the Wits End Cafe for the Spanish omelette? :wink:

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Wed May 02, 2007 10:50 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The Yorkshire coast meeting page is set up and waiting for piccies. See http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/meetings/Yorkshire_coast.htm
Any comments or alterations, just let us know.
Thanks,
Charles

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed May 02, 2007 12:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles,

Some nice shots on the page. With the weather, are you sure they were taken on the same weekend :wink:

It might be worth changing "Please send your pictures of the Glencoe meeting to the webmaster " to something a little more current...

Andrew

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Wed May 02, 2007 5:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Oops! OK I'll amend that. (copy/pasting is not all it's cracked up to be)
Dawn on Saturday was hazy but colourful around Flamborough.
Charles

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed May 02, 2007 6:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

We called via Flamborough on the way home on Sunday; it was foggy and windy so didn't bother with the cameras :sad:

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Thu May 03, 2007 1:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I made a break for the south at dawn in a bid to miss the attentions of the waitress who must have been at her wits end to flirt so outrageously with me.

Might go back soon though!!!! :D