Whole Plate at Malmesbury

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
sandeha
Forum Hero

Whole Plate at Malmesbury

Post by sandeha » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I was finally able to give my whole plate a bit of an airing. These were taken inside Malmesbury Abbey - it had to be inside ... outside it was drizzling down under low cloud.

Quite instructive ... #02 was dev'd first at EI 100, and only saved through judicious Curving. #01 then had +2 dev, or maybe even +3 (I lost count) but roughly 30 mins in the tumbler. NP22 in Rodinal.

Caltar 210mm on both shots, and max rear swing in #2. Orange filter on both, but with #1, I shielded the lens with the darkslide (f45, 5 mins ... must rig up an Ebony style shade), while for #2 (f64, 6 mins) I put on a screw-on lens hood ... and figure the lens still got hit by the ceiling light.

We were fortunate that the light contrast inside the abbey was not too great, but it was really too dark to get what you'd mostly want ... but I think the orange filter helped in bringing out the tones in the stonework. Must also scribe a grid on the GG ...

First time I've ever shot inside a church with a tripod, let alone with monstercam.

I'll try printing #2 this weekend, but I think it's likely the neg is too thin.

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Superb Sandeha, you have taken some fine images.

I looked at the reclining statue myself but could not see what to do in the tight space. You certainly did with a focal length I had not considered using. There seems to be plenty of shadow detail on my monitor in image #2. I hope it prints well.

Many thanks for posting.

Barry