Autumn 2008 - Workshop/Gathering proposal

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

PAUL O wrote:Hi David. I will try and book accommodation for Thurs night through to Saturday night as usually most people return home on Sunday. However, I am finding it difficult to find a hotel that can accommodate so if I don't have any luck in the next day or two I will post a suggestion that people look for their own accommodation in and around Keswick. Paul
Paul,
Even if we need to be dispersed accommadation-wise it would still be good to get conference room facilities somewhere so that we can meet up as a group. This for me is the main reason for a workshop. We can all go out and shoot anytime but rarely get to meet up as a group of like-minded individuals for discussions, demonstrations, viewings, trades, etc. On this count, even a meet in Milton-Keynes would be ok for me.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm trying to locate a meeting/conference room which should be easy to do :lol:

I will pm George Hart and ask if he can recall the name of the premises that he found for our first LF gathering - I remember it was on the main street in Keswick and would be ideal?

George Hart
Forum Hero

Post by George Hart » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:23 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

PAUL O wrote:I'm trying to locate a meeting/conference room which should be easy to do :lol:

I will pm George Hart and ask if he can recall the name of the premises that he found for our first LF gathering - I remember it was on the main street in Keswick and would be ideal?
Paul, it was the Poets' Room on the first floor of the Skiddaw Hotel, http://www.lakedistricthotels.net/confe ... _venue.htm. Hire cost was GBP 80 for the 2 days, which was covered by everyone chipping in with a fiver each. I also made enquiries at the Theatre by the Lake, http://theatrebythelake.co.uk/ but I can't remember what the facilities are there.

George

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:08 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi George - many thanks!! I'm currently waiting for a reply on a price! I will keep everyone updated.

rhodej00

Keswick

Post by rhodej00 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Forgot to say that my wife will be accompanying me. We will travel on to the Highlands afterwards.
Regards John
John H Rhodes
http://www.johnhrhodes.co.uk
Scottish Photographers

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi to everyone. By way of an update ...
I'm unable to find a single location for accommodation so I suggest those coming along make their own arrangements. I would suggest that we try and lodge in close proximity so I propose looking for accommodation as close to Keswick as possible - this means its quicker to meet up too! I've managed to book an informal room for us to meet on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights - at The Skiddaw Hotel, Keswick (where we held the first UKLFPG gathering!). There is no charge for the room as the hotel will rely on us purchasing refreshments/meals if we choose. I thought it might be an idea if we planned an evening meal for Friday and Saturday nights? The hotel will give us a choice of Bar Meals that will mean that we get served quickly. We will have the room from 6pm until 1130pm should we wish.
I hope this is okay with everyone?
As for locations to take photos ... if anyone has good knowledge of The Lakes then feel free to offer some advice re: good locations.
I will research some locations that are accessible from Keswick and post a "list" within next few weeks. Of course, people are free to do their own thing but it might be good if we had common locations that we split up and visited?
I will be heading 'up North on the Wednesday and making a start (weather permitting!) on Thursday morning. I plan on getting to the Skiddaw Hotel for about 6pm.
If anyone wants to "do a turn" then please let me know and I can arrange an informal programme of evening events :lol:
If people want to just chat equipment/technique etc then this is fine too! If you have prints to show then bring them along!

I will keep you updated. Regards Paul

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul

Us two are booked in to a local B&B from Thursday through to Sunday. We will be coming straight from work, arriving at the B&B to drop stuff off and will meet you at the Skiddaw as near to 19:30 as possible.

You did say it was your round, didn't you? :P :wink:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

David Rees
Forum Hero

Post by David Rees » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,

I'm booked into accommodation for the long weekend, and will be in the Skiddaw Hotel Thursday evening for a meal, meeting up, etc. Many thanks for getting us all together!

David.

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:55 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

OK. Booked accommadation. Myself and friend will be there from wednesday thru sunday. Will be at hotel but if we go missing we'll probably be in the Dog and Gun - best pub in Keswick.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:00 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi. Could I ask if those planning on coming to the Lakes would mind pm'ing me with their mobile numbers - this makes it easier if we get lost/separated/abducted by aliens :lol:

I will compile a list of numbers and then pm this list so we each have a copy.

Thanks

Paul

PS Charles has promised that the weather will be fine the week we plan on visiting Keswick!

David Rees
Forum Hero

Post by David Rees » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,

Thinking about what I'd like to see during the evening get-togethers, I was wondering whether we could twist your arm into giving us a little talk about Iceland as a photographic destination? I think you went a while ago, and it's a place I'd love to try sometime. Advice about travel to and around the island, places to visit, etc., would be most welcome. Any photographs you felt willing to show would be icing on the cake....

Regards,

David.

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:57 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi David, I've chatted with Charles as he has also visited Iceland and has some lovely prints. I'm still scanning mine and as I don't have a printer I'm still waiting to get prints done :cry: We will both be happy to have an informal chat one evening on our trips (and my second visit planned for early April 2009). Visiting Iceland as a solo traveller is an experience in itsefl

rhodej00

Keswick

Post by rhodej00 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sorry but I must pull out. There is just too much to do here in completing kitchen before Xmas plus walls to make good after chimney breast removal, wardrobes to build etc. Apologies.
John H Rhodes
http://www.johnhrhodes.co.uk
Scottish Photographers

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:03 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The Lakes II is just around the corner :lol:
could I ask that all those who will be coming just confirm with a quick pm so that I have some idea of exact numbers.

Look forward to seeing you all next week .... remember, Charles has promised excellent weather too!!

Paul

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Paul,
The consipracy won't stick :) !
I'll be there to enjoy the fine weather with everyone else. I believe you have my mobile phone number.
I look forward to meeting everyone.
Charles