Mini Workshop - Victorian Swimming Baths (Manchester)

Get-togethers and meetings organised by members
Paul

Mini Workshop - Victorian Swimming Baths (Manchester)

Post by Paul » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello to all. I wondered whether anyone would be interested in attending a mini-workshop? - by "mini" I mean a day-long workshop!

This workshop will be an architectural-based session and will involve shooting interiors.

The location is in Manchester - the Victoria Baths to be exact. This building won the BBC "RESTOATION" programme to restor it to its former glory - although the interiors are in pretty good knick as far as I can tell. The tiled swimming pools are empty too!

The web site for the location is www.victoriabaths.org.uk you can get a taster of whats available - everything from stained glass windows to moody/dark corners!

I have made contact with them and they usually only open to the public (not for swimming!!) on Sundays throughout the summer and hold various art-type projects/exhibitions/events.

I have arranged for a "private-viewing" in late-August for anyone who would like to come along. This means that we have the place to ourselves with no one wandering around to spoil the shots and there will be no other events set up, so no distractions from the architecture.

The staff at the project prefer mid-week group viewings (either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday) BUT if there is sufficient interest they will open on a Saturday by
arrangement
Depending on the level of interest I may be able to arrange for us to spend the "whole day" there as there is certainly plenty to photograph. I imagine that a Saturday will probably suit most?? If this is the case then there is a slight change in booking!! Read on ...

As the location is a "charity" there are certain stipulations/requirements:

1. All photography must be for non-commercial use - any commercial use will require a fee.

2. There will be a requirement for a donation from the group - a minimum of £30 is requested for private viewings during the middle of the week. Again depending on interest I propose a donation from each "participant" to cover the £30. If the Saturday option is preferred then the cost will rise! Again a donation is requested but a Saturday will involve a member of staff opening up just for us - so I feel it appropriate that their costs for the time we are there (1/2 or full day) are met by us.

I will need replies ASAP. The probable datess would be either Tuesday 22 or Thursday 24 August or Saturday 26 August

The restoration work (proper) starts in October this year so this is the last free week where we can have uninterrupted viewing before work starts.

Architectural photography is a real passion of mine and I am more than happy to offer tuition/advice/help (all for free!) to anyone who has not tried their hand at this type of photography before.

If anyone is interested please contact me direct - paulowen_2000@yahoo.com or fivebyfour_2006@yahoo.co.uk

I need to know your availablity/preference for either mid-week or Saturday

I will travel up from Cardiff - a bit of a trek but a great opportunity!

Look forward to a (hopefully) productive day up North!

Regards Paul

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm replying here as well as direct to Paul, just to say this sounds a wonderful opportunity not to be missed. I can only make it on the Saturday, as I'm in Snowdonia during the week camping with my daughter.

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Steve, well that makes 3 of us!

I have had a further email from the staff at the Baths and if we want to book a Saturday for a full day then it looks as if we will have to cover the costs of having a member of staff on the premises - but they will provide tea/coffee/refreshments for a £1 per head!

I will try and find out the "cost" of a Saturday booking and this amount will need to be covered by those who attend?

I will keep the forum updated.

Sorry to harp on but this REALLY is a unique opportunity as we can have access to the whole building (including boiler house and Turkish Baths)

Regards Paul

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul, I hope you have included Helen and myself in this little jaunt ?

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Jo & Helen

Of course!!!!! I am awaiting confirmation of price for the whole of Saturday. I will keep you posted!!

Paul

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,

just to confirm, I'd be very interested. As Steve, I'm very tight on the timing though... I can do Tuesday, but Saturday would probably be better for me as well....
I'd be more than happy to contribute to the staff costs if needed, as long as it is reasonable... I suppose it depends on the numbers attending :)

I might be also able to suggest a few places to either overnight for reasonable cost if anyone needs it, and/or go for food/drink. Not aware of any decent tearooms in the city though :)

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Cough. Splutter. Wot no tearooms???
I will be coming on this multi-prongued assault. I say, considering the photographic firepower being drawn on this poor building (move over shock and awe), might the custodians accept payment in photo kind? Some of us might be only to happy to share their piccies...
I was thinking that Saturday would be best. As it's the Bank Holiday weekend, it would probably be nice to head out to Snowdonia or the Yorkshire Dales for the Sunday (weather depending). I am happy to organise and be helpful on that front, if anybody else fancies it. I was also thinking that it might be a good opportunity to visit Hilbre Island on the Saturday evening (or Friday at a pinch). Tim, what are the tides like for the 26/8?
Thanks,
Charles

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The tides for 26/8 look good - the high at Albert Dock is at 00:53 GMT on the morning of the 27th, which means you'll have to leave Hilbre before 22:00 GMT on the 26th. However it's predicted to be a 9.29m which means that you can't cut any of the corner off.

Unfortunately I'm on holdiay that wee so won't be able to make it over to Hilbre. If you do want to go over I'm more than happy to offer advice though.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,

Potentially another two for the Saturday jaunt - how many is saturation point? :)

We could also consider the Thursday (Tuesday is out) but this would mean time off work (could be tempted tho' :wink: )

Andrew

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The ball seems to be rolling!

There is no limit as to numbers (within reason!!). I discussed potential numbers with the staff at the Baths and mentioned it could vary between 6 and 26 people - they were fine with that. It will probably be best to split into groups and "do" each area like this - cuts down on intrusion into shots too!

I am waiting for costs from Baths but if we are paying for a member of staff for (say) 8 hours then it is unlikely to cost more than say £100?? Divide that between those attending and the maths is simple. At the moment ther are 8 interested.

Marc - can you suggest/arrange accommodation?? I was thinking of driving up on Friday or even (very) early Saturday morning!!!!!

Regards Paul

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul wrote: Marc - can you suggest/arrange accommodation?? I was thinking of driving up on Friday or even (very) early Saturday morning!!!!!
Paul,
I can put up one person in the spare bedroom/darkroom (I wahsed the sheets since the last sleepover...). I do have a sofa in the living room, but it is very uncomfortable and having falen asleep on it a few times, I do not recommend it.

I can arrange for a guest room in the Hall for about GBP 20 or so, possibly less, if anyone else needs one. August is easy for accommodation.

Marc

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:19 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Marc

You really washed the sheets????? Hmmmm .... :lol:

I think accommodation in Halls would be ideal? How do we arrange?

paul

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've had confirmation from the Victoria Baths Project and Saturday 26 August is fine! We can photograph from 0930 until 1630hrs. I now need confirmed numbers please - by Friday 18 August please (you do not need to re-confirm if you've already let me know!

As for cost - I have been sent a list of "Rates" for the day. These range from £10-£20 per student/artist per day through to £1,500 per day for photo shoots and filming!

It is difficult to find a category that we fit into! We are not photographing for commercial gain (a charge of £500 per day) so I would recommend that we adopt the artists (for photographic research) guise and that would mean each of us paying (say) £15-20 for the day. How does this sound? Obviously if we (say) get 10 of us then we can probably reduce the individual contribution slightly???

However, I am happy to pay the £20 as I feel it a great opportunity to photograph an interesting building for a whole day and with no-one else around!

Please let me know your interest/intentions.

Also, if anyone is travelling up on Friday night we may need to see if Marc is able to arrange any accommodation for the evening?

Bye for now

Paul

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,

£20 charge for the event is fine with me. No probs.

I have spoken to our reception: A guest room is £20 + VAT per night, payable upon arrival. The rooms are fairly alright (don't expect 5 star accommodation!!!) as rooms in a Hall of Residence go. As there are hardly any students around, the place should be fairly quiet as well...

I would need numbers with a reasonable advance warning and would normally go and book them the Monday or Tuesday before. So if I could know by the 21st of August, please.

Marc

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi (Marc). Can you book me a room at the UNi please? How far is it from the Victoria Baths - any idea? Thanks.