First scanned 4x5 image

If you want comments on your images.
Meekyman

First scanned 4x5 image

Post by Meekyman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Everyone,

My first scanned image - taken in a local wood on a dull December day. I know it's far from a masterpiece..should have given more breathing space and the plane of focus/depth of field isn't quite right such that the top of the head is out of focus, but I'm happy that I'm getting there and plan on returning to try again when the conditions and time allow. I bought a Chamonix in late Autumn and on available weekends am getting out and slowly getting used to it. Love looking at the slides. Taken on Fuji provia 100f, scanned with an Epson V750 by a commercial scanner and gently edited by me. Making all sorts of mistakes still....film not quite loaded properly, aperture left open etc. but getting less frequent and really feels good to be using a wooden box with my head in a bag!!

Please feel free to comment. Seriously downsized for web display.

Graham
Attachments
Green-Man-lfuk.jpg
Green-Man-lfuk.jpg (212 KiB) Viewed 21205 times

Martin Jan Köhler
Forum Hero

Re: First scanned 4x5 image

Post by Martin Jan Köhler » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Congratulations to your first 4x5 scan!
It's a pleasure having those transparencies on the light table, isn't it? :-)

IMHO, the image looks too cold (too blue+green) and would need a shift to yellow + (bit)red.
(in my experience, that's often the thing with Provia 100F, the transparencies are bit too cold as-is)

Best regards,
Martin

Meekyman

Post by Meekyman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply. I agree it is a real delight seeing the slides on a light table. At the end of the day,though, I want to be able to print and for me that's done digitially. I see what you mean about being cold....quite a blue tone in the shadows. I suppose that is why people tend to use velvia on a dull december day?! It has a bias more to reds?

I admit I am not the best at digital manipulation etc., but have had a go at re-editing. I used Nikon capture nx2, shited the white balance to "warmer" and decreased the contrast.
Attachments
Green-Man_warmer-and-less-c.jpg
Green-Man_warmer-and-less-c.jpg (204.93 KiB) Viewed 21173 times

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Colours on that look as you'd expect given the likely lighting conditions - no problems there, unless you fancy it warmer as a matter of taste.