Another unofficial Glencoe trip

If you want comments on your images.
DJ
Site Admin

Another unofficial Glencoe trip

Post by DJ » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:24 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Last week of September I was in the Glencoe region. I only had about 3 days where it didn't rain, but I managed to get a couple of shots. I've got the film back now, with mixed results. I've lost quite a few sheets to some light leakage, I think I know how it occured so I'll have to be more careful in future. I also need more practice working out the movements and keeping verticals straight with my 80mm. I've got another 4 sheets being processed by Peak now with some development adjustments, so I could have better versions of a couple of these shots. A lot of frustration, a lot learned, and a lot still to learn are the outcome of this trip :wink:

I've done some preliminary scans, these are dry scans with the standard film holder and Epson Scan on my 4990, I'll most likely redo them at some later stage. These scans have had minor adjustments done in most cases ( tiny bit of levels, curves, saturation ) but most look just like the transparency. In one case major adjustments to one portion of the frame have been done, ( the Etive one, top half was way underexposed ). The Eilean Donan one has had a fair bit of editing too, it was slightly fogged with light leakage.

Anyway, the shots ( in cronological order ), critique away!

Castle Stalker, sunset :

Buachaille Etive Mor, River Etive :

Castle Stalker again, sunset ( I really wanted to get a nice Stalker shot, but alas I don't think I got what I wanted on this trip ) :

Glengarry, grabbed this from roadside whilst driving up towards Skye :

Eileen Donan Castle :

Yeah yeah, ok, I couldn't resist :wink: It's actually quite a bit different if you really look, and it just cries out to be photographed. Elgol beach, after sunset.

Elgol Beach, sunset :

Constructive Criticism appreciated. :D

Chong

Post by Chong » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi DJ,
Good selection of pictures. My favorite would have to be "Elgol beach, after sunset". The composition works for me. Of the Castle Stalker, I preferred the 1st because there are more details in the castle than the one with the 'whippy' sky. As to foreground I would have liked to see some reeds (I have not been there so not sure whether such is available as a foreground interest).

"Buachaille Etive Mor, River Etive" - I don't mind the underexposed top half as it actually enhanced the menacing sky. The foreground could perhap be burnt in a bit to make it less hot.

The panaromic is a nice picture if you could crop the right far end which is too burnt in.

That's my humble opinion.

Regards

Chong

sandeha
Forum Hero

Post by sandeha » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Very nice all around. I find the "Buachaille Etive Mor" the most interesting of all, so it's good you were able to save it with adjustments.
alas I don't think I got what I wanted on this trip
Surely, one rarely does ... but what you did get speaks volumes.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yes, Scotland is good fun. The Glencoe trip should be a good'un. The best shot is definitely the Elgol one after sunset - a good variation on an old friend. The first castle shot is the more interesting but it suffers from the rock on the right being cut off by the frame, IMO.
Chong, that neck of water is tidal: no reeds, just algae. The pics are good because (i) they are taken at high tide when the algae are not too apparent and (ii) the water is still (usually wind and currents put pay to that idea).
Charles

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:The best shot is definitely the Elgol one after sunset - a good variation on an old friend.
I'm torn actually, I have another version of it which I just got back, which has a much nicer saturation, and the distant mountains are more clearly visible. It's a more pleasing shot to the eye, but the shadows are slightly more blocked.
The first castle shot is the more interesting but it suffers from the rock on the right being cut off by the frame, IMO.
That's a fair critique. I've been so involved with the shot it's been difficult to step back and look at it objectively, which is why I think critique from others like this is so useful. I was so keen to make sure the main big rock with the litchen was sharp and therefore packed with detail, I overlooked the rock to the side which was slightly clipped, I never even noticed it. In the original composition this was not so noticeable as the tide hadn't come that far in, but the later shot when the water had come so near worked better so I kept it, but unfortunately hadn't composed for it. Oh well, live and learn!
Chong, that neck of water is tidal: no reeds, just algae.
Very slippery algae and seaweed... :wink:

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The real stand-out for me is the first Elgol pic. This is landscape photography pared down to its essentials and all the better for it. Awesome work!

I liked the second Elgol shot for the quality of light - the texture of the rock is particularly lovely. I think it might have been worth waiting for a little more cloud, though. Just a little.... ;-)

The second Stalker shot I like because it has a better balance between foreground and background but I actually prefer the sky from the first. I'm not a fan of motion-blurred clouds, it has to be said.

The Buchaille photo falls down a little for me because the foreground is a tad bright and rather too 'busy'.

The Glengarry shot and the pano are technically fine but don't really do it for me, I'm afraid.