Testing Gari's Scanner

If you want comments on your images.
Phil_T

Testing Gari's Scanner

Post by Phil_T » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

A few of you will have seen me drop lucky with a free scanner from Gari on this forum. I've now got it set up and have been experimenting with a few transparencies I took about 10 years ago on a MPP technical camera. First one is Ashness Bridge in the Lake District,

Second one could also be in Cumbria somewhere but it might be Scotland

Last one is Little Morton Hall in Cheshire

gari
Forum Hero

Re: Testing Gari's Scanner

Post by gari » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Look pretty good to me Phil. The first two may be a little blue but of course that can be sorted with the scanning software or in PS. Profiling would sort it too if you want to spend more money :)

Hope you are finding it useful

Gari.

Have you tried the wetmount holder yet?
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Phil_T

Post by Phil_T » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Gari. It's been quite interested to finally see these old transparencies properly as I've never printed or scanned them before. To be honest and without wanting to sound too full of myself, I was quite impressed with how they turned out - whilst they're not great photos they were at least in focus and well exposed (mostly). I hope to be taking some better stuff soon now that I've got my new gear and my interest is rekindled.

I haven't used the wet mount yet as, frankly, I don't know what to do with it :) . I understand the basic principle and that I'll need some mounting fluid but don't I also need a piece of glass to hold everything flat? Also, how do you space the system off the scanner bed? My quick tests have shown that, when dry scanning, I get a sharper image when the holder is spaced off the glass by about 1mm. Having said that, I'm not sure my negs are all that sharp to start with so it's difficult to tell.

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Phil, yeh you need a piece of glass that fits in the space on the wetmount holder, the black card like one.
It's pretty easy to get a piece of float glass(as in used for frames) cut to the exact size. Then you simply mount the trannie to the glass,emulsion side to the glass I found better, using some mounting fluid. You can set the hieght using paper or card spacers under the mount to increase the space.
Obviously that's a very quick explanation, I am happy to give you a fuller explanation via PM or email when/if you get around to doing it. I found it made quite a difference in contrast in the shadows, helps with film flatness too.

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!