Autumnal Leaves, Golitha Falls

If you want comments on your images.
Chong

Autumnal Leaves, Golitha Falls

Post by Chong » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

This was taken last November at Golitha Fall, Bodmin Moor, Cornwall.

Just got a scanner and trying it out.

Regards

Chong

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Chong, nice image, spookily like one I shot last week with a friend on the mainland.
I like the colors, though I feel it is a little dark, esp in the foreground. The composition I like too, often you see the trees full length at the expense of ground cover.
I think the allusion of the size of the trees is reinforced by the fact that they connot be contained within the frame(if you know what I mean!).
The trunk coming in to the frame on the left is a distraction I would have tried to edit, it seems to be niether in nor out!!
I think the patch of sunlight lifts the midground and adds a little warmth to the shadows too.
fine image on the whole in my view.
What scanner have you got?
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Chong

Post by Chong » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:23 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Gari,
Got myself a V700. Not bad so far. Does my 8x10 transparencies but would have wished that Epson did a proper film holder for that format.

I agreed that the stump at the corner does not benefit the composition at all. I have an ilfachrome print made by bph and had it cropped out by using smaller mount board. The composition is a lot more tidier without it. Would like to see how you shot is.

Regards

Chong

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Chong, I have just got a wetmount kit for my Canon recently from the Canada, the kit comes witha great custom film/glass mount holder. I can recommend the kit as a whole but maybe the guy would consider a film holder alone if you ask. I would think that maybe mounting to a glass plate would be better for 10x8 as the film would sag quite alot I am guessing! I can send you the details if you are interested, just PM me, the kit is quite cheap considering...
I have scanned the slide I was talking about and have attached it below.
Details; MPP, 90mm Schnieder f8, Fuji Astia. 4sec@f45. no grads or polarizer.
The GG is sooo dark I was struggling to see what I was doing, getting the plane of focus right was a real mission! That and the fact that the camera was about 3in above the ground(I am not gettin' any younger after all)
The guy I was with has an Ebony 45SU, his GG must be 3 stops brighter I reckon':shock:'
I could see through his better WITHOUT a darkcloth than through mine with':cry:'
It came out a little redder than on my screen at home by the way.
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!